1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this lens fit my canon 500d

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. CBass

CBass New Member

Re: Will his lens fit my canon 500d

Yes.

EF Will fit any Canon DSLR
    EF-S Will fit any Canon crop DSLR (What you have) apart from the older ones D30, D60, 10D

3. Baramundi Bob

what is a crop dslr ?

4. CBass

CBass New Member

A traditional film frame was 35mm but when SLR's switched to digital it cost an absolute fortune to make digital sensors that big, so to save some cash the camera manufacturers made sensor "cropped" by making them smaller.

Later on the camera makers started making sensors the same size as the film frame of 35mm and these are called Full Frame and are more expensive.

The crop factor is usually 1.5 or 1.6 so when you look at a lens for a crop body you need to multiply the focal length by the crop factor so a 10mm lens is actually 16mm and 250mm will be 400mm.

Most DSLR's sold are cropped, APS-C is the technical term.

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

That's just the sensor Glenn. The top model or two in the range will have full frame sensor, the rest are crop sensors.

This means that the focal length of any lens you get is multiplied when used with these sensors, so it becomes a little longer.

Some extra reading for you here if you want to understand a bit more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

6. Baramundi Bob

Thanks Chris. Sounds a bit complicated. I think I will buy this lens. It seems to get good reviews for the price. I want 1 zomm type lens and 1 wide angle.

7. Baramundi Bob

Cheers mate

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Just realised Cbass beat me to it :laugh: :embarrass:

Just looked at the link you put on, look at the features below:

Affordable telephoto zoom lens
    88-400mm equivalent focal length
    4-stop Image Stabilizer with automatic panning detection
    UD element
    Super Spectra coatings
    Circular diaphram

See where I highlighted?? That's due to the crop sensor multiplying the focal length :happy:

You still not used the camera Glenn??

9. Baramundi Bob

Not yet mate.

I want a couple of lenses, a bag and a tripod. Im busy earning the cash to pay for them. Just finished 1 site and have 2 more to build.

10. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

i got a cannon 500d for christmas glen its a class camera can you get live veiw on yours im struggling finding it on mine or cant you ?

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

if it is the same as the 1000D Ben, to get into live view you must be in one of the creative modes (Tv, Av, M, A-Dep) . when in one of these modes, press the SET button and it should go into Live View.

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

13. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

cheers bud il give it a try

14. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Hi Glenn
    , before you buy that lens try www.rgb-photo.co.uk its next door to jessops in the boro,
    i recently bought a new lense and holdall from jessops then went next door and the same items were £80.00 cheaper and in my opinion the bag was better so i swiftly returned the items and went back next door , the lens you were looking at is £10.00 cheaper in rgb and you can get a jazzy bag for £20.00.
    cheers jim
    http://www.rgb-photo.co.uk/cameras-lenses-c1/slr-lenses-c4#:page3
    the camera bags were all reduced in the shop it doesnt look like they are on the website

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling