1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wild brown trout

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by the slug, Jan 30, 2008.

1. the slug

the slug Nelson is a homo

Anyone out there keen to see the development of wild brown trout fisheries?

2. bucko

bucko Guest

In my mind free rising browns on a lake, loch or reservoir offer some of the best fly fishing there is to be had.
    Usually small but they make up for it in feistiness and willingness to rise to the fly in the most terrible conditions.
    River-wise the more the better (fisheries that is)

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I love fly fishing for wild brownies, much more rewarding than catching stock rainbows from a reservoir (even though that can be entertaining). So to answer your question, yes, I am keen to see the development of wild brown trout fisheries :yes:

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

I think its hard to understand how to develop a Wild Brown Trout river these days and thats a shame. Most rivers these days carry a number of fish thats been stocked by a club. I fish a river that offers wild brown trout ( i think), but i also catch good fish of one and a half pounds upwards, but i assume these fish were once stocked by a club further up river. Mind you, theres no way to tell the difference. Also, the smaller fish which i assume are wild, may have been born to the bigger stocked fish. Either way, its good sport (especially on a 6ft fly rod) as its a tiny river and only 15 mins away. The strange thing is though, although i've fished it for 2 seasons now, and i have yet to meet another angler.

5. johnsonkid

johnsonkid Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

go to have a look

6. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We have some of the best brown trout fisheries in Britain here in the N-East.
    I try to encourage all anglers now to join a fishing club.Most clubs these days need new members if they are to survive.
    We have reservoirs like Cow-Green, Selset,Balderhead owned by northumbria waters up in Teesdale containing truelly wild browns at around £10-11 pound a day to fish.
    They are very lightly fished but allow worm, spinning and the fly angler and are good places to teach the beginers to fishing and the wild live is fantastic for all the family.
    We are looseing to many youngsters to these Goldfish ponds filled with carp.
    They need more encouragment to get out to these places.
    They can eat their catch aswell. :happy:pB

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Funny that you should say that Peter. Des Walker ( i think thats his name), a writer for Angling Times said the same thing, regarding wild brownies and carp ponds.

Has anyone heard of someone stocking brownies into the Tees at Piercebridge? There's mention of it on other forums, and no one knows why, and by whom. The river is brimming with wild fish, although it did take a stocking some 25 years back, but is still classed as one of Britains best wild brown fisheries.

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Got to play devils advocate here and say that I don't feel we are losing youngsters to the stocked carp ponds as coarse fishing has always been more popular than game fishing and such venues are usually very accomodating to youngsters (easy access, relatively safe etc)
    Northumbria Water is also doing great things to encourage youngsters and newcomers towards trout fishing such as tuition days and "Dad & Lad" permits.

Fishing is a broad kirk and there is room for many disciplines of the sport.

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I know a few old and young people that are carp fishing because it is cheaper they tell me and they dont want to eat trout.
    Some of them say they can catch 100 pound of these carp in a session.
    They say that to keep the customers comeing back that float has to keep bobbing down
    My diary is full of nils, and if i manage one sea-trout this season i will be happy.
    Now you here of anglers catching 50 plus rainbows and browns in one session . I struggle to catch that in a year.
    My fault though . Like the doctor said i have to get out more.

10. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

I'm usually on the Sea forum and well out of my depth not living by the Sea. One advantage of inland life where I am is that there is some excellent Trout fishing just a few mins away.

The browns at my end of the river will go to 2-3lb and fight like hell but a few miles down river they go much larger. Some say they are stocked but I think not, the smaller ones are present in the head waters right up on the moors and no one stocked those. The EA have dropped Grayling and Dace in at various points in recent years and the many canal feeders let course fish in. The Trout get so large mainly feeding on the vast shoals of Minnows, they are predatory from an early age and grow quickly. There are a couple of lower stretches where 9+ fish have come out.

The main reason I replied on the thread is to make you all jealous.... Up until the 90's the feeder river (mine) and the main river (couple of miles away) were among the most polluted waterways in England and so nobody wanted the fishing rights.. Yup, I can fish four miles of mostly stunning river full of huge, hard fighting, Trout .... and it's free fishing all the way.

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

surely somebody must own such a lovely strech of water that you describe. When you say free fishing do you own the water or have you the owners permission. Maybe you are sat on your retirement pension by leaseing the water out?

12. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Total agree with this statement"

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I cannot understand why the Reservoirs up at Teesdale Selset,Balderhead,Cow- Green are not fished by more pleasure anglers.
    They are all any method fisheries and for about £10 pound and kids free they are some of the best wild brown fisheries in Britain and North - East fishers dont have to travel to Wales, Scotland, for their wild brown trout fishing.
    The average fish might only be 10-12 inch but you catch a wild brown trout on the light gear and he will fight like hell because most probably you are the first to fool him into takeing your bait.
    Get bored with fishing and you are in the Last Wilderness in England.
    I cant wait to get my little pup travelling up to Teesdale with me.
    She needs the jabs first. :happy:

14. bucko

bucko New Member

They do offer fantastic affordable sport but they are off the beaten track so the cost of fuel might knock the cost of the day up to the same or similar to a more accessible fishery.
    I don't think its any coincidence that the regions busier trout fisheries aren't that far from the main roads or close to clusters of towns that ensure the numbers.

15. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I suppose i didnt have the choice that people have now.
    I was starting my trout fishing on Redworth in the 70/80 which is now the very succesfull Jubilee Trout Fishery.
    The Swale at Catterick was a river i learnt a lot of my wet fly fishing catching trout ,grayling and chub.
    Now i cant afford to put petrol and buy a day ticket , not that i am complaining bevause i believe i have some of the best fishing in the country for wild fish in BAAC.

16. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

(Fluff chuckers ... Avert your eyes now - this isn't pretty)

OK, so it has been a while ( :eek: ) since my comment above but I thought I might share some pics.

A couple of days ago I got up nice and early armed with minimum tackle, some worms from the compost bin and some un-used maggots. I headed down the hill (1/2 mile or so) to my local river. I had intended to keep moving and cover a few miles but if there are fish to be had then why move?

It was a really nice warm morning and I soon settled into a nice run. There are some larger fish in there from time to time but they are mostly around 1lb but there are plenty of them and it is a good place to wake yourself up.

[​IMG]

It didn't take long before the float went under.

(sorry about the photo's, I was just holding the net in one hand and clicking with the other)

[​IMG]

After a dozen or so fish you can get bored so I switched to maggot. Although the occasional Trout likes maggots, what I was really after was ...

[​IMG]

Yes they love maggots. Throwing in half a dozen before a trot eventually gets them boiling on the top. Fish in a barrel. I kept it up for an hour, they are great fighters. Again most are around a lb and there are lots.

Eventually I got bored and decided on a short move. Fifty meters or so up river gives you this ...

[​IMG]

Nice huh? The fish go much larger here but only for the price of sliding the float up another 6 inches or so. Same baits. I had some nice fish but the sun was starting to get in my eyes and so I thought about getting off home. Then I remembered that I had packed some polarized lenses and so thought I might give it a bit longer if they worked. No sooner had I put them on than I spotted two large Trout sat right in front of me. I was definitely staying. They didn't seem to be interested in much, I figured it was the Sun that had turned them off. A drip drip of maggots got them interested though and 5 minutes later both were in the net ...

[​IMG]

Nice fish of around 2 1/2lb each (they have sharp teeth and eat mostly other fish). Figured that there would be no better fish coming out with the Sun up in the sky so I called it a morning.

This being so close to the town centre, I packed up and turned around to see four guys (and one 'in the bushes') sat on the bank above me with enough 'White Lightening' to last the full day. No idea how long they had been there watching. The three supermarkets near-by had obviously opened and so it must have been past 9am and time to head home. (No - I didn't photograph my cider swilling audience. Best not disturb the local 'wildlife' I reckon)

Off to the main river for some big Chub and Barbel overnight tomorrow. If I still have any energy come Saturday morning then I might have a go for some of the Trout in that stretch - They get really big there. I will post again if anything happens on this other FREE ;D stretch.

17. coasty

coasty New Member

We havee a few wonderful rivers locally with excellent wild stocks , nothing better .

http://brooksandbecks.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/may-on-yorkshire-stream.html

A day on here appears every year in the wild trout trust auction

Andy