1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why So Quiet?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by FireFly, Mar 5, 2017.

1. basha

basha Blenny

its good banter,and anything that makes a forum worth signing into does me fine.
    dave the stretch at gatenby was once the mecca.i used to fish very close to bradfords water yrs ago near RAF leaming were bridge crosses it on old franky stubbs land. and results were unreal.ive fished it a few times over the past few yrs,you will have the place to yourself apart from old man tommy who's a local.....in his 80's now and still outfishes most lol.....its a roving game again.i have had bules but not in the sizes thorny throws up mate.generally 4/5lb.plenty of chub,but again location the key and some stonking 2lb roach still roam.pike in numbers and usual silvers.think again the otters have had there fair wack.used to be a top match beat back in the days of preston park angling club and norman wickman.if you hit peg 2/3 on the stump generally you were in with a haul of 80lb plus of chub.top match weight was 147lb of chub back in the day.how ide wish for thoughs days back.managed 122lb myself and still only got 2nd.

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Some cracking feedback there Mark Cheers. I must pull away from Thorny and give Gatenby a go, like ive been meaning to for the last few years. Mind you, if the wind stays like this for a while, I might be giving Sandsend cliffs a go. I wonder how luncheon meat fishes off there?

3. basha

basha Blenny

ive been tempted giving the cliffs a go all season but the guy thats fishing with me simmo isnt up to hights and im sorta showing him the ropes so dnt just wanna ditch him in car park and head off up top.

as for meat i reckon a bitt of turmeric or garlic powder over your meat will sort the coddies out mate,or one of my secret glugged boilies that my mates keep sniffing around trying to work out what it is.;)

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Keep the recipe under your hat mate and guard it with your life. Its cheaper than cart too.:). I think if I put garlic on me meat, id end up eating it myself. like I used to end up eating the uncut bread when fishing poole lake in the 70's. Oh, and the cheese too.:D

5. basha

basha Blenny

pools a syndicate now.an unfinished project by another person who hasnt a clue.half de/silted.it sprung a leak and nasty amonia levels.otter fenced aparentely now but they'll never get it up and running.they were planning to peg it out for 20 carp lads at 3 rods a piece.think they got there calculations wrong and bought the wrong place,they should have bought semerwater lol.

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Funnily enough Poole was a carp lake, and originally a trout lake. Back in the 60's lads would sit up trees shooting the carp with air rifles, then the tench took over. There were still some cracking carp in there though. Proper carp, not fat bellied pig fish. I think youre right about the latest syndicate set up, as I cant see the lake functioning as a commy carp pool, as the lakes natural habitat as more to offer. Only my thoughts of course.

7. basha

basha Blenny

its a damb shame when you look back to what we had on our doorsteps in the way of fishing locations.
    all but all the park lakes are goosed now,apart from albert which is all mud pigs and odd perch/roach that the cormo's missed.
    i was a regular at pools aswell rosmere/ward jacksons both top lakes.dockers and the stell and greystones all ruined aswell as the priory of course......and ile keep saying it i know it was boggy up to your waste and you got coverd in kak when you went fishing and you couldnt turn your back or your bait waiter would feck off with the tide,but i liked the tidal tees and its shoals of roach/dace down at yarm at 4am on a winters morning waiting for the sun to come up just had to go early to get a peg.a tin of lighter fuel to pour on ya feet to keep em warm,or leven weir pool to get moaned at by win and bill from the cottage on the weir saying she owned it,the daft old batt.now we got over priced commercials with fish that are batterd due to being caught 10 times a day.

rant over pmsl.

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

I used to love fishing Leven pool with 4oz breaking strain for the dace in the middle of January. I wish I could go back to that. Aye, and the skin yard on a winters night chasing the dace, and even the eels on a summers night. The skin yard was the only place you could keep clean, if I remember correctly, or like you say-up to your eyes in mud.

9. basha

basha Blenny

lost the odd welly or 4 down yarm.
    skin yard was gravel bottom,used to be wicked on old team matchlight pole to hand at 9mtrs.

10. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

I know, it's awful talking about sea fishing on a sea fishing forum Davo. Much prefer to be talking about cars, computers and women but not necessarily in that order. :)

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

12. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

I launched this morning for a couple of hours.

[​IMG]

and this is what I had to show for it.

[​IMG]

But it was a nice morning.
    Probably better to stick to cars, computers and women for now.:D

• Like Like x 2
  13. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thats a dab more than me, havent had a launch yet this year

14. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Save your fuel Brian, that's it for me until May.

15. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Need a run out even if its just to blow the cobwebs off so could even be this coming week if it works out well, not expecting much from a first trip and I reckon going on whats being caught, thats about what I'll get

16. basha

basha Blenny

stillwater piking bri springs to mind.

17. robq

robq Rockling

Hows the f rib going zetland ?

I am seriously tempted by the 330 as a replacement for my pro wave next year but they are a big chunk of cash:eek:

18. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Get youre self a boat Rob be plenty going cheap after last year:cool:

19. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Best thing since sliced bread.
    A little bit heavier than a SIB, but a whole world of difference, faster to put up, easier to pack away and better performance. If you've got the cash buy one.:)

20. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

New
    Need a run out even if its just to blow the cobwebs off ,

go for it bri, as discussed lethargy reason for not posting Mondays run off.

Thats a dab more than me, we tried buoy, batt on Monday morn,

all baits tried, hokkis, shads etc -fat zero but managed to find 2 new

"dab" holes with sounder.

run down to old faithful aka pier end- 4 mops-returned.

good drift etc, water clarity bit hit n miss -possible potash flushing?

any way if you go stay clear of andym billet mark & dab hole

zetlands emptied em!