1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why bother locking the pier gate?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by yting, Oct 24, 2010.

1. yting

yting Blenny

Was on whitby pier this aft at 4 o clock,people were having difficulty standing due to the wind,the gate to the pier extension was locked and as you will see from the pictures some "anglers" had decided to climb past the gates and fish.Why do they put themselves in danger and should anything have happened the local rescue services.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To be fair this has happened for years and Im yet to hear of a serious incident, I may be wrong (personally i dont like it there and wouldnt fish it anyway)
    I think it is sensible to lock the gates as people may choose to go onto the lower deck (suicidal, but we know some visitors misunderstand the power of the sea) and therefore locking the gate discourages people from venturing onto the pier and counteracts this
    However im not saying people should ignore safety features of these man made structures yet anglers will be found on the pier in the very worst of conditions and as has been seen before it can produce some amazing fishing in the teeth of a hideous northerly
    best left to those who know the place and know when to clear off (of which I am not one and neither do I wish to be)

3. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, i was one of the lads fishing on there and i wouldnt go on if i thort i was puttin my self in danger, but for me i think you have more chance getting washed of a rock then a peir will a rail round it. but that just my veiw

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The council have a duty to close it for safety reasons, after that time your there at your own risk. But to be perfectly honest there is no risk at all from being on there. Ive never seen a sea big enough to take anyone off the top deck. Ive fished it in horrendous conditions, and I know Lobbers has been there in far worse than me.

Just after that speedboat went down a couple of years ago, myself, Killer and Lobbers were coming off the pier. Some jobsworth police woman ordered us to stop right infront of the slipway and gave us a lecture on how irresponsible we were especially just days after the loss of lives near there, she did it in front of loads of onlookers and wouldnt let us move away. I told her I knew far more about the sea than she ever could and that she was actually putting her own life at risk by standing at the top of the slipway. The very next day Killer caught a 16 pounder that he landed at the bandstand in the harbour.

I can understand your post but to be very honest there is no risk at all on the top deck in rough seas, but I guess the council have to protect themselves in this day and age.

5. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Having encountered a locked gate on a few occasions, including a couple when the sea had died but unlocking was perhaps late, it occurs to me that locking off the lower pier would be safer. Of course, you'd have to ensure that no-one was down there else they wouldn't be able to get out.
    Locking off the lower pier would probably ( and I say this reservedly) be safer since those who cross the gate couldn't get down there. Also, those who want to risk a big sea on the upper level wouldn't be risking a fall from the wall as they step up to skirt the gate.
    Either that or the council introduces a by-law. As it stands it all seems a bit half-measurish. Yet, as said: the upper deck in a big sea has to be safer than a beach.

Steve.