1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are some lures so expensive? Gerrys Of Morecombe Prices Are High ?????

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BigPauly, Jun 7, 2013.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Just had an email from Gerrys of Morecombe promoting the latest diving lures which they have in stock.

I can't believe that some of these things cost more than £20.

One of them even has an RRP of £34.99

What planet are these people on.

You can buy a reasonable spinning rod for that money.

Imagine how pissed off you would be if you lost one of those first chuck.

What lures are the Whitby lads using at the moment and for what sort of money.

I just can't get my head around that sort of spend for just 1 diving lure - it's madness.

BP

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Re: Why are some lures so expensive?

If people can afford it and want it then someone should sell it!
    Market demand dictates all- and lure fishing for bass is reputed to be the most rapidly growing area of sea fishing.

3. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

The more expensive lures are better quality and a better action to boot.that said,ive caught most of my bass on yo-zuri's so more money doesn't always mean more success

4. BigPauly

If someone is daft enough to think that the more you spend on a lure, then the more likely you are to catch a fish - then more fool them!!

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Don't get me wrong- its a bit rich for my tastes but if someone wants to spend that then wheres the harm?
    Its a growth market that gives tackle dealers an extra range in these tough times.
    When Farlows and similar retailers are expanding their range of bass lures it gives you an idea of the buyer demographics- ie: high disposable income.
    Its not unique to bass lures either- I was looking at some 'Jambo' flies for sea trout online the other day- £4.50 for a long shank hook, small treble and spinning of deer hair...now thats pricey when you put in perspective.

6. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i have no problem paying any sort of money for my lures.

the more expensive lures have had alot of input, research into the materials used/required actions/components (hooks & rings) and testing over months or even years.

so when these lures say on the pack it dives to 30cm i can confidently fish water thats 31cm deep without getting caught up whereas the cheaper lures that are a tad crude in the mouldings can dive to different depths.

plus i have only lost 2 lures in the past few years so they have more than paid for themselves.

7. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

And to think that I once considered Yo-Zuri's to be expensive !
    I do use Yo-Zuri's quite a lot and I have done reasonably well with them, but in my limited experience over the last couple of years, if you are lucky enough to find a school of Bass close to shore, almost any plug will do the job. I've caught schoolies when trolling cheap Conrad lures behind the kayak in quite shallow water around the North Gare and River Tees entrance. I've also done quite well with Tsunami's.
    I would try a £35 lure if someone was giving them away, just to see if they are any better at catching Bass as I would never dismiss any lure without trying it, but I do suspect that some lures are designed to hook anglers rather than fish.
    What I would say is that the treble hook is at least as important to me than the appearance of the lure. The trebles on the cheaper lures are pretty poor quality and sometimes it's better value to spend more on a lure with decent trebles than it is replacing cheap trebles on a cheap plug.

8. BigPauly

I do get what you are saying Dan and I too believe that you get what you pay for - but when you look at the price of a decent Rapala lure, which is a famous world renowned company and you are paying from £6 to £12 average and up to £16 or probably with a few touching £20 then it's clear that a lure priced at £34.99 is extracting the yellow pump water somewhat.
    It would take a lot to convince me that these are so much better than a good Rapala.

BP

9. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

They're so shiny though :embarrass:

10. BigPauly

Yeh - That's probably because some poor little ching chong chinaman has been up all night polishing it. LOL

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

My number 1 lure as always is The Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow floater. Im angry it has doubled in price over the past 3 years. But put into context 20 peelers will cost upto £20 and be gone in one session whereas a lure can last a few years if you get lucky.

12. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Although I must admit to buying £20+ the idea that the materials and research into these lures equates to the high price tag is complete cobblers, ima for instance cannot keep a coat of paint on their lures, 6 month use and there unrecongnisable from the original,the reality is that there are a few too many fingers in the supply chain, big savings can be had by going to Japanese retailers but you have to buy in numbers. Don't get me started on the price of some soft plastics like the xlayer etc, thats just a scandal.

13. bucko

bucko New Member

\

In Japan??????

Seriously though- buy what you feel is within your budget and enjoy it!

Fishing doesn't half attract some resentment to what is (price wise) the top end tackle- we all know that a bubble float and 80p Eddystone Eel will do the job on the right night but the day when lure manufacturers stop trying to reach new capabilities will be a sad one for tackle retailers on a global scale.
    And don't single out Gerry- maybe he's trying to recoup some of what this sod took from him:
    http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/shop-boss-reels-in-thieving-employee-1-5341811

14. robq

robq Rockling

I just lost my red head rapala sliver today :sad:

£14 it cost me and I have had it 4 years and had some great fish on it :yes:

serves me right going trolling without my fishfinder !!

I think £20 is about my limit for a lure though back on topic

even then I would only risk it on ground I knew well :yes:

15. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

It's worth looking on Harris sports mail web site they have a bargain page and get some good lures off of it too.

16. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

On the whole you get what you pay for. When afloat, on whatever craft, you can set your depth alarm to the lures min depth and if you stray into shallower water it will alert you minimizing loses. I lost 1 plug all year last season due to not using fish finder. All the ground was new to me. On the shore I just use strong braid with a fluorocarbon leader so if I get a snag I can normally yank it out, normally lol. Again if you know the ground well you may be able to go lighter.

As some have already said money is put into R&D of these lures and they usually pay for themselves if you get a few nice fish. Just got to try your best not to lose them. It becomes expensive if you want to double up on lures that work though :yes: Shiny shiny :nerd:

17. andym

andym Rockling

I like to stock up on yo zuri minnows whilst in the state's at 4-6 $ a go even in the supermarkets them red head crystal minnows take some beating

18. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Of course you will feel that it's money well spent if you catch a few decent fish on an expensive lure, so I can quite understand anyone paying out the dosh for the latest technology, but I think that it is also true to say that Bass doesn't know how much a lure costs and if you have a favourite lure that has served you in the past, there is absolutely no reason to suppose that it will be any less effective in the future.
    The floating Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow is my personal favourite, but the sinking version is probably just as effective in the right conditions. The problem being that you are far more likely to lose the sinking version due to snagging as it's not as easy to regulate it's depth, but there is no such worry when fishing it over sand.
    The other thing I've found is that there seems to be very little difference in quality or catch rate between the Tsunami plugs and Yo_Zuri, but the Tsunami's are a bit cheaper. I can't give an opinion on the more expensive plugs because I haven't used them, and don't really feel the need to unless the fish start to get picky.

19. Charliepat

Charliepat Blenny

Makes you laugh really!
    When you consider that people will pay up to £500 pounds for a rod?
    Drop that on the rocks and it soon looks like a cheap Far East import!.
    As we say though,you only get out of it what you put into it! :yes: