1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are bass marks so secrative?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BOOMSTICK, Sep 27, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah i know what you mean when you say its been going on for years and the bass have survived it .same goes for the salmon , im sure they have been well hammered on the coast for many years too.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I dont think Salmon stocks are as healthy as they were Dav. I know they have made a bit of a comeback in the esk but I think numbers are well down. Not sure if this is poaching related or environmental factors such as polution etc. Im sure you would be better able to comment than me on that one.

3. Baramundi Bob

I get confused by this concept that the ledge at Kettleness is always packed too. Everytime weve been weve near enough had it to ourselves and that includes several times this year ?

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bass marks are kept a well kept secret but why?

People will give away cod marks as and such like. Ok not every detail about the mark but where they were fishing. But when it comes to bass its all hush hush. I know they are hard work to work out and are so unpradictable but whats the point in people putting reports on like I caught 6 bass today but not saying where i went or what i was using etc.

There are some top lads on this site with some top info but alot of people do need help on the harder to catch species such as bass even just a point in the right direction and i feel SOME of those (not all) with the info keep it locked away to much
    and just woundered why???
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the original thread put on about secrecy
    why has this turned into a debate about netting ?
    role on the cod.

frank.

5. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Although I've only started fishing Kettleness this year, after Dan had put his post up about the place. Ive also found this to be the case 9/10 out of ten. I can count on one hand the amount of times there have been others down there at the same time as me and to be honest Ive certainly put alot of hours in there this summer.

Like Glenn has already daid, I think there is alot more to offer the bass angler than just fishing off the ledge. Infact looking at the place at low tide the area directly you cast over on the ledge doesnt even seem particulary fishy. I know there was a discussion on here a cpl weeks ago " More than meets the eye" about areas like that tho. Infact most of the fish Ive either cught or seen caught off the ledge cant have been more than a cpl lb, whereas the 6lber I got down there this year was from a different spot.

Coincidence?? who knows, but I think there is alot more potential for fish than that one ledge.

Ben

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ive heard rumours that fishing on the ledge is like fishing on the gare on a summers day . :cheesy: litter everywere apparantyly Saying that its just what ive heard and read . could be lies .
    Only lads ive bumped into down there was the buena vista whibty club and sam & matty i think . That was last year tho .

7. Baramundi Bob

Yourself and Garry were the first people I ever saw down there with spinning rods, and I aint ever seen you on the ledge :wink:

8. Baramundi Bob

9. Baramundi Bob

10. Baramundi Bob

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Of course Kettleness has a lot to offer than just the ledge, that bit is obvious and as I said before I've caught more fish at kettleness before you even said foot on the ledge. Now I haven't fished Kettleness at all this year but when I did fish it even when starting the session at low water 9/10 you'd end up on the ledge as the flood progresses, all I was saying before is that if you were fishing at high water then you only have the ledge so it can get cramped if busy. I was comparing that to high water fishing at kettleness when cod fishing where there are more options, where as most (rightly or wrongly) will go for the ledge when bassin.

I haven't fished down there this year so I honestly couldn't tell you how busy it has been, but going by reports, talk of litter and whenever someone talked about bassing around here Kettleness seemed to be mentioned the most. With this in mind it can't be blamed if a few of us assumed it was getting a lot more attention compared to previous years, not saying it was correct to assume just saying it can't be helped.

Plus I think I mentioned it earlier is that generally when fishing (no matter if cod, bass, etc) I personally like the quiet life, so I never headed to kettleness this season thinking there could be a few people fishing. To most it isn't a problem, I just like the quiet life. Personal choice I suspose and probably why what I consider busy would be nothing to others. Anyway, I'm probably not getting myself over so I'll stop now (English was never my strong point!) :embarrass:

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ah them were the days :cheesy:.
    One thing that ought t be mentioned is how dodgy it can be around them ledges in anything but crystal clear water and even then its quite easy to loose your footing and dissapear... .literally..... :ugly:

13. Baramundi Bob

I would agree that you have to know whats under the water if you intend wading through it.

Something Ive been thinking about for those worrying that their all time favorite bass mark is now ruined. Something I once discussed with Ramrod -

Anglers come and anglers go, and today's hotspot is tomorrows baron desert. When the crowds disperse the knowledgeable anglers will still be there at the right time in the right place. It sort of reminds me of something I have observed a few times in cod fishing :

One story, was one particular year in Whitby Fishing Club Whacker couldnt put a foot wrong in February and March. Match after match he put 20lb bags on the scales and weighed in a few doubles. At first he had everyone scratching their heads. Then he was spotted on the rocks in Saltwick hole. Next match poor old whacker turns up at Saltwick to find it lit up like blackpool (No whitbyseaanglers forum to blaim in those days). So whacker being the solitary sole he is opts for North Hawsker. Back at the weigh in the Saltwick boys had struggled but Whacker landed a 12 pounder on his first cast in Hawsker.

Another was the year Jeremy Robinson had a lot odf sucess. All the usual suspects were going to North Hawsker but it just wasnt producing the cod. Jeremy started winning all the opens from South Hawsker. Then their was a mass exodus in the opens with South hawsker becoming the place to be. Still Jeremy kicked all their butts into touch that year, although I think Phil France may have clicked a double down there in one match ?, and there was never a sole to be soon at North Hawsker.

Kings lead and peasants follow.

14. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

exactly glenn..its not the mark,but how and when you fish it that counts.

15. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Except of course when fishing any competition wether big international open or small local club. The "when" will then be clearly dictated and defined leaving only the "How" to seperate the gods from mere mortals.

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Is it a case of bass marks being secretive or just anglers wanting fish to fall onto their laps. I,ve caught at least one bass from every Mark I,ve tried and i,m certainly no authority on bass fishing.

The key is not so much to know where to fish but when to fish it and that takes a lot of time.There's probably not 100yd of coastline around here where no one hasn,t bagged up with cod at sometime so forget secret marks.

Anyone who follows fish is missing out on the real essence of fishing, which is understanding, or at least trying to understand what is actually happening in front of them.
    Lots of lads have have moved to the next level now, having caught many bass from many spots they are targeting the better fish while others are still trying to catch any bass. These lads don't ask for info as there is none available at the moment, but use their own initiative.

17. cps

cps Rockling

someones go to be first to do things ray good knows how much gogo juice me and mart have used befor we started the get the hang of where the tope hang out now i could pick a few spots of the chart at the right stage of tide with the right set up and get a few

18. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

THINK THIS ONE WILL GO INTO 2012
    BUT WE ALL LEARN BY THE REPLIES

19. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

too right jc.and that is exactly what this topic was trying to achieve!

20. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.