1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are bass marks so secrative?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BOOMSTICK, Sep 27, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bass marks are kept a well kept secret but why?

People will give away cod marks as and such like. Ok not every detail about the mark but where they were fishing. But when it comes to bass its all hush hush. I know they are hard work to work out and are so unpradictable but whats the point in people putting reports on like I caught 6 bass today but not saying where i went or what i was using etc.

There are some top lads on this site with some top info but alot of people do need help on the harder to catch species such as bass even just a point in the right direction and i feel SOME of those (not all) with the info keep it locked away to much
    and just woundered why???

2. backlash

backlash Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i always think the same, don't understand why bass are put on pedestal above all other fish, there good but i rate pollock as harder fighting and better sport during summer and people are queing up to tell you were the best pollock marks are on our coast, always found the secrecy a bit strange

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Bass marks arent really a secret, people just think they are. Bass marks are just cod marks by another name with a different method employed to tempt the fish. Think about kettleness, for years its been one of the very best cod marks in the area. Then a few caught bass there and it became a bass mark. Dan decided to share what he knew in the article at the link below and suddenly it became a well known bass mark. The only sad thing about that for me is that now many people think its the only bass mark in the entire region.

Im not totally against peoples desire to keep where they catch bass a secret, after all there is something special about watching the sunset on your favorite bit of coast without another sole in site. What i dont understand is the desire to keep any mention of bass completely off the site. Maybe some long term users of the site fell out with the forum ?

Like I say I dont mind people not giving away every last detail. But what really grates me is the handful of individuals who make a short post saying something like "Went bassing, Caught 10 bass, heres a picture of one of them dead and shrivelled up in my kitchen". To me these posts are completely useless and serve no other reason than to inflate a personal ego. Probably best left un posted if I was entirely honest as I think it detracts from the value of the forum.

As with all posts, I would just prefer it if people shared a little more information. Its not that difficult and most of us aren't in the slightest bit interstesed if all your bass came from around the head end at Flamborough.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/bass-fishing-marks-at-kettleness

Areas where myself and/or friends have caught bass :

North of Staithes but not as far as boulby
    Staithes nab
    Port Mulgrave and Sheep Stones
    Runswick Left
    Runswick Right around Hill stones
    Ketleness Gulley, fingers, urchin hole and fillet tail
    Goldsborough
    Goat track
    Shot stones
    Whitby beach
    Saltwick North Batts
    Saltwick South BAtts
    Hawsker South
    Robin Hoods Bay down side around sloping rock
    Boggle Hole
    Little Bay
    Hayburn wyke.
    Flamborough around head end
    Flamborough south landing (Probably the biggest concentration of school bass on this coast)

No secrets, go get them.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Take it from me Ive known as much secrecy over cod as bass , what you tend to find quite often is those who want to know most are
    very reluctant to give as freely

5. Baramundi Bob

Would agree with that particularly in the match and club scene. Ive had personal friends tell me outright lies. One night I was told a certain person had fished a certain mark. Either he was invisible or he wasnt there, because I was at that mark on my own.

6. BOOMSTICK

Thats the sort of thing im on about glen just not very good with words lol. I dont realy fish for bass my self but people have asked about them and had no response or like you said a post that has a pic of some ones kitchen sink and not much else. Bit pointless imo.

i always make the effort to make my reports intresting and will happily help people where i can as do many others but there are a few that dont and won't

7. Baramundi Bob

Myself and the guys havent done much bassing this year otherwise there would have been more reports from us. We may not give away exact locations all the time but often theres a giveaway in our pictures, and we always discuss methods, tides etc in a bid to make it more interesting. Some of the forums best bass posts over the years have come from quint and if you search back through the hall of fames you will find some stuff worth reading.

8. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Glenn's post is probably the most useful to all of us who struggle to find fish - it shows that there are no magic marks to fish, you just have to be good at fishing them :laugh:

A good angler will always outfish the poor ones in the long run (anyone can have a lucky day) and people should try to improve the way they fish rather can concentrate on where they fish. I know full well that I'm not a very good sea angler but I still enjoy fishing and continue to learn each time I go out. I've learned an enormous amount from this forum and if people don't want to share particular marks with everyone else it's quite understandable.

9. Baramundi Bob

The difference between you and them, is you are here to share and to learn because you enjoy your fishing. The best posters on here are those who take information and assistance from others and are then willing to pass that on when they learn something themselves. Some are here to make themselves look good. We need more like you and less of the others.

Many anglers are very secretive and will go to extreme lenghs to cover their tracks. How do I know this ? I was like that myself once over. I now regret that and its my goal to uncover as many secrets as possible - Hence you have whitbyseaanglers.co.uk

10. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

The ones I've found I have put in hours and hours I do help people there's a few lads who I always point in the right direction I also share info with a few others and the tell me stuff why should I put my marks on a open forum I went to a mark and someone off this forum was there and I asked if I could tag along because I new he new the Mark like the back of his hand he took me on a wild goose chase I got called a stalker for that and for photos I've said before I've trashed 2 cameras and 3 phones

11. BOOMSTICK

Can understand were your coming from there buzz with the wild goose chase and how youve put in hours to find the marks but after that wild goose chase did you think that it was a bit harsh and feel like you dont want to do it to other people.

And yeh some people just take from the forum and why should we help them but there are the majority who do put info back in and deserve the help now and again.

This isnt aimed at any 1 inparticular just a in general sort of thing
    You dont need to give exact locations, state of tide and baits etc just a little nudge or hints to help others enjoy the sport as much as most of us do

12. Kagger

Kagger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As I'm living in Norfolk, and have done for the last 17 years, my input to this thread relates to round here.

About 4 years ago me and 3/4 mates fished the beach at Mundesley one Thursday night and had 50 codling between us up to 5lb. The next day a report went on our local forum. On the saturday morning there were THIRTY people fishing where we had been (I wasn't but my mate lives at the top of the cliff). Take it from me, there hadn't been thirty people fish there in the previous three months.

Guess how many people out of those thirty reported. Err.... none. Not a single report.

When I report now, the venue doesn't get mentioned. I'll put an area like 'north norfolk'. I put write ups on my mates blog with pics, but I'm always careful that the exact place I fished isn't obvious.

If there had been a report or two out of those thirty blokes, i'd probably think differently.

Perhaps some of the blokes who're being secretive have had a similar experience?

13. Baramundi Bob

You have had more help than anyone on this forum and still you give jack $hit back. I don't believe for one moment you learn't anything yourself as I don't believe your capable of it. Quite why your on here is beyond me.

14. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hey up,

For somebody who just got back into sea fishing last year after about 17 -18 yrs this site has been a truly great source of info both from the articles people have taken time to write on the front page to the vast amount of knowledge shared on the boards of the forum.

If Ive been out and caught something I always try to get report up and hopefully have some pictures too. I know personally I much prefer a nicely written report with a few piccies as opposed to just a couple of lines, but even then surely that is better than nothing at all, at the very least it shows that people are catching.

None of my mates really go fishing at all, I go out most of the time with my brother but thats about it. I enjoy coming on here, making a post if Ive caught something and chatting about fishing as I like I say the only person I really talk to about it aside from on here is my brother or other people out fishing. Its good to see other peoples take on things and different ways of doing stuff.

As to the original post regarding secrecy, if Ive put up a post and caught something I wil lsay where Ive caught it and what on etc, but then Ive only been into fishing for bass since last september and the two main places Ive fished this year (kettleness and south gare rocks / mussel beds ) are both well known spots so Ive nothing to hide in the first place.

One of the reasons for fishing just a couple of spots for me is that Id like to think that over the course of the last few months my understanding of the marks has grown and Ive been making a note of when Ive caught at these spots and when I havent along with conditions times, tide heights,swell etc. Like I say these places are both well known but the satisfaction Ive gotten just from figuring things out at these spots for the majority on my own has been great.

As for the secrey thing I guess its a toughie, Ive found that out and about whilst fishing contrary to what Ive read about bass fishermen everyone Ive got talking to this year have been quite open about other spots they fish, what kind of tactics and approaches they personally use and so on. I can understand however the reluctance people may have about posting up on an open forum that can be freely read by anyone. I imagine some of the marks people have on here are quite small be it rocky outcrops a certain area of cliff etc and the worry would be that if it becomes too well known you run rthe risk of turning up for a days fishing and what was once your idyllic little fishing spot is swamped and you cant even get on to have a few hours fishing.

I guess its all down to the individual as always.

Ben

15. Welsh wizard

glenn i have found my own bass marks and and i am more than capable of it my results speak for them selfs i do help people i just don't post it all over the forum i use the phone or face to face all the bass I've caught are on plugs its upto the individual how much they post i send information in pm because i know other people can read them so thats why i do it over the phone or face to face i do take people with me.glenn your the one who took me on a wild goose chase and called me a stalker afterwards

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

As far as I can tell go to one of your winter cod marks and try for bass. I did it work. Then I thought sod it this walking on rocks up and down. Give me a puddle and pole. Lol

I have had help and given help or tried to.

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

this is what pisses me off to be honest.. "my bass marks" well they are not YOURS!

18. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Have you not been down flamborough area matty?? There are little notices say who may fish here :laugh:

But know what you mean,

19. Welsh wizard

I will rephase it matty the bass marks I fish

20. Welsh wizard

i will help anybody and point them in the right direction i don't post marks on a open forum i do it face to face or by phone when foo comes back from working at sea I'm taking him to try and get his first bass .

why i don't put marks on a open forum is someone put a post on here about a mark he fished for bass he done good post with photos and buy the pictures you could tell were it was that mark got mobbed out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.