1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who let the Hounds out....

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jun 5, 2015.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hi all.

I must admit I am guilty of not looking or posting on the forum as much as I did in the past and it's true that a forum is only as good as the people who contribute to it..

Well after reading Harry's post about how things have changed I felt it's about time I put a post up..

Well after hearing reports of quality Hounds, Rays and Bass coming from the beaches south of the Humber I decided to head off down and try my luck..

I have caught Smooth Hounds before but never had a double and I heard the beaches South of the Humber were the place to find them..

Well a quick call to a few mates to see if there wanted to join me and a few messages to a few friends in the know, seen us heading South with high hopes of hooking into a double figure hound..

Well we arrived at the chosen venue and a couple of the lads were already fishing and signs were good with a few hounds coming out.

Well I couldn't get a bait in the water fast enough, chosen bait was fresh crab on a clip down rig.
    From the off we were all into Hounds with a fair few around 6-8lb, then one of the lads along the beach pulled in a lovely hound of 14.8lb next was Lee's turn as he pulled in a nice Hound just shy of 12lb and not long after another one over 10lb whilst me and Dan were catching plenty of hounds to 8lb and Dan pulled in a small Thornback and a Flounder. Was just baiting up another rig and looked up to see my rod getting dragged from the rod rest, fish on and it felt a good one, after a short fight I seen it in the surf and thought this could be a double.. I took it to the scales and it was confirmed my first double figure Hound, small in comparison to some of the Hounds that have been caught, but I was very happy with it.. After a couple of pics it was returned and it swam off into the darkness.. Well the good fishing continued and woody pulled in a lovely Hound just short of 13lb.. We were greeted with a fantastic sunrise. We decided that was time to head off back up the road home... A really great nights fishing and thanks to the lads for the local info and for putting us on the fish. 28 Hounds 1 Thornback a Flounder and a Bass.

Cheers. Gary

Attached Files:

2. New2014

New2014 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant report.

Sounds like you all had a great night.

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Sounds and looks like awesome fishing gary 8)
    Do they still feed in daylight or is dark preferable?

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Great to read one of your reports again Gary , top fishing and pictures a big well done to you all

5. Steve

Steve Rockling

fish in daylight aswell as night smokey

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Cheers steve, i once spoke to a very knowledgeable angler from down in lincolshire and he reckoned fresh hermit crab was as good if not better than peelers for the smuts.

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

I've yet to catch a smoothound but it's great to be shown the way to do it! The late Dave Brown told me he saw a guy catching no end on supermarket prawns. He said he didn't believe it until he watched and saw the chap catch right in front of him.

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

My computer is playing up do done this report off my phone, only thing is I don't know why it's put pics up the wrong way round or upside down...

Yea I believe they feed in daylight on them beaches not sure if it's because the water is so coloured that they feel confident coming close into the shore during daylight.

I think prawns would be a good bait as they were coughing up loads of shrimps..

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

once again a quality report to read and look through the photographs,
    some lovely looking fish down that way by the look of it ,

you must have done a bit of homework to get right on them from the start ,
    nice to see Dan and Broky in ther getting among the fish as well ,

hope we get a few spurs into double figures up north Garry ,
    think we need a get together to sort some rigs and things mate,

isnt it strange that our sandy beaches domt produce the hounds as they do down south of the Humber ,
    any thoughts on it Garry . 8)

10. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Gary, well done mate

11. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report 8)....went for me 1st trip last week only to find it impossible to fish
    to much weed :'(

12. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Cracking report there, Nice to see some of the hounds out to play

13. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice one Gary, some lovely fish there. Yer shrimps a good bait down there too, easy to collect and free :)

Harry you'll deffo get those double figure Spurdogs up there mate

14. robq

robq Rockling

Nice report Gaz :)

A few nice fish to make the long drive worthwhile :)

15. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking read fellah an great session,fishes well in the daylight if the waters coloured,if it's too clear,best during darkness....
    Been fishing very well of late dwn on the linc's beaches :)
    Thanks for sharing :)

16. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Cracking report, well done.
    Mick.

17. congerball

congerball Blenny

Great read and photos Gary. Those smoothies are massive! I'd never caught one till last year, I love going for them now, had a couple on a carp rod, that was a laugh!

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Never feel guilty about not posting Garry, yourself and a handful of others have given more to fishing on this coast than the rest have collectively. Another great report by the way.

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Top fishing as always Gary the boys did the bizz as per usual.. 8) 8)