1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitting dead bait

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

How do men. If fishing 2 rods on say pier or a mark where u are not moving all the time. Would u consider fishing a second rod with a dead Whitting as bait. I say dead cos we catch them when after the cod and was thinkin about lobbing one out as a sleeper rod. What do the more experienced shore lads think

2. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If it's a smallish whiting rig it up with a larger hook and sling it back out alive mate .

3. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Hi simon you would be better using a live bait rig

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Yes mate. I know live better, and fishing small hook on big and hooking bait to leave out best. But a pound and half Whitting may take small hook, which may be a bit big. Casting a live bait u have wound in tends to kill it anyway I find

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

IF THEY ARE SMALL PUT THEM BACK

6. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Put what back. If live baiting we use the small fish. Bass cod best with pin whites. Your post was all capitals. Take it it was a shout out

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Lob out a grip weight, then slide live whiting down the line on a clip.

8. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

HE WILL, WITH HOOKS IN!

:)

9. simon22

simon22 Rockling

10. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

2 right

11. jc

no i keep them if hooked but they do go back if not honest just an opinion
    sorry about the capitals

12. simon22

simon22 Rockling

No problem jc. Was only meant as a laugh buddy

13. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

A lad I knew who sadly is no longer with his used to chuck out what we now call a pennel rig, one of the hooks would be tiny with a bit of worm on it the other bare. Theory a small fish takes the small bait and hooks itself, along comes a big fish and takes the lot, using this method he took a 25lb cod from the River Blyth and an 18lb cod from Rocky Island, not known big cod shots, especially Rocky Island. He also took quite a few other decent fish with this method.

• Like Like x 2
  14. jc

all different ideas worth trying

15. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Yes mate. This was the idea I had. But u can not say the size of fish that will hook itself or if at all. I have done this for bass in wales. But the beaches there are full of pin Whitting at times. Had some bloody big Whitting from whitby way from the beach, I know a good cod would eat a big live bait, but as said them whitby whites just seem a bit big