1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby's West Pier Closed

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

OK so most of you just climb over the fence. But its highly likely should you come to any harm you wont have any come back on the council.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/whitbys-west-pier-closed-anglers-not-welcome-at-whitby-please-find-somewhere-else-to-fish

Peter from the Whitby Independent is going to do a bit of a feature on the West pier. How do you feel that a large part of piers is closed to you ?? Should the council be forced to put it right ?? What do you pay your taxes for ??

Let us know what you think.

2. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whats the reason for shutting the area off, why is it unsafe, do you know Glenn?

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

If its true that the council dont want fishermen in a Fishing Port its ridiculous .Ive fished at Whitby piers since i was at school in the 60s.Ive always found the tourists want to come and talk to me from all over the world .So they cant use that excuse.Whitby children need somewhere to go fishing to get out in the envoironment.Are outsiders running the council because i cant see Whitby Folk allowing both the piers to become derelict.Captain Cook must be turning in his grave if hes looking down on Whitby Harbour. PB

4. rizla

rizla Blenny

the article is dated august 2006,is it still the same?

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Its nothing short of a discrace that this council can get away with with this lack of investment the east peir just beggars belief with the missing bridge but to get way with not putting new hand rails up is disgusting they should be made accountable arent these peirs listed somebodys arse wants kicking severly just how much are they spending on the repairs near the swinge bridge every body knows why it gave way and they have walked away scott free at that point where it gave way when you were walking along the mud when crabbing you couldnt get any further along because all the mud was missing somebody dug it out.

paul.

6. robert123

robert123 Blenny

The council is obviously run by non-fishermen. If we all stopped paying the council tax, and got a lot of publicity from the media both written & televised, highlighting just how badly neglected Whitby is becoming. It might just make some one sit up and realise there is another world outside of Scarborough.
    Both Piers should be available to all. How much revenue does Whitby generate into the council coffers?

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

there not bothered about scarborough, as long as they have there big pay packet each mouth, thats all there bothered about nothing else

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Is the pier closed ,i never looked at the date on the picture. I remember falling for another story on this forum when they said bolders were being put along the two piers .I think your local paper should get behind the people of Whitby and demand action from the council .Teeside Evening Gazette have been 100% behind my little campaign about the Tees Barrage .Trout and Salmon wernt intrested .PB

9. Baramundi Bob

Yes the date on the story is correct but the west pier lower deck has remained 90% closed since that date. They have now erectd a more permanent barrier to stop you going along the pier and some of the handrail has been removed meaning anyone going over there runs the risk of falling in.

[​IMG]

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

DISGUSTING.

11. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

thats what i dont understand glenn, they say it is unsafe. They then remove some of the barrier to cordonit off, making it even less safe :confused:

12. Baramundi Bob

Same as the other pier. Its easier to close than to spend money mending it.

13. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is it just the bottom landing that has been closed or the top one aswell? cheers Russell