1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby's Commercial Fishermen, Unhappy With Hugh And His Fish Fight , yet Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

I would just like a bit more transparency with the campaign- including info on who is funding it, who the staff behind the scenes work for and what are their long term visions.
    Also, surely it might have been an idea to engage with those involved in the UK's most popular participation sport? :whistle:
    Until I get that then I will remain (as I am with most media) a touch cynical/suspicious- which its my god given right to be.

2. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Aye up lead chuckers!

This is my opinion.

I have watched a lot of Hugh Fearnly 'What's-in-Stall for us' over the years.

He started off as a decent bloke doing something interesting and worthwhile to watch and came across as a down to earth bloke in a scruffy jumper who was born with a big fat silver spoon in his mouth.

However I have watched his TV career progress from what started out as something akin to 'The Good LIfe' and has now turned into one massive marketing and self promoting money making brain wash!

I was talking to someone who lives near to Hugh and he tells me that Hugh charges £70 per person to go to one of his evening dinner events on his river cottage farm - the result of pure marketing brain wash.

He couldn't do what he does with his business if he didn't jump onboard with something on TV that gets the public behind him with whatever do good campaign he chooses to get publicity from to promote his 'River Cottage' brand.

Same as Jamie Oliver with his school dinners campaign - don't get me wrong, Jamie did a lot of good, but the main reason behind doing it was for himself and to promote his brand to make more money.

Also don't get me totally wrong about Hugh FW. He has done a lot of good with the fish discard issue. But mark my words, once this current campaign is all over he will jump onto something else under the cover of doing good, when ultimately he's just marketing his own brand for his own ends.
    He must have a very good marketing company behind him.

He wouldn't give a flying @uck if the Whitby area turned into a NTZ and I personally wouldn't give him the sweat off my arse!

Rant over - just my personal opinion in the name of free speech!

Can you tell that i'm a bit of a cynical bar steward?

BP

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I get that Ian, totally. And just like Glenn, I too have my concerns.
    As it stands, I feel it's at least a small step in the right direction and if we don't get on the bandwagon we will be back to square one.

From a personal point of view, I would quite happily make sacrifices if it helps the bigger picture as I think we're on a slippery slope.

If you're after a black and white legal document at this stage, it's not going to happen. The mpz,s might be a huge success and might end up covering all of our coastline, or they might just be a veil, appeasing the public, of what is really happening ie overfishing!

As fishermen we all know how it's changed over the years, that's obvious, do we keep heading in the same direction? Or change direction, that is your choice.

4. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

I think there are two things going on here and it is easy to confuse them, so making it a very muddled debate:

1) How do we protect the marine environment to provide habitats that allow an ecosystem to develop and which provides breeding areas for the full range of marine species.

I think MCZs are the answer to this and the evidence for their success is pretty conclusive. I think the angling community should be foursquare in their support of these. But an MCZ does not mean no fishing. It just restricts damaging fishing such as trawling, dredging and boat fishing at anchor. Line fishing from shore, kayak or a boat on the drift do not destroy habitats and so should be permitted, although perhaps it might be sensible to restrict them during the breeding season for birds and fish. This is what anglers should campaign for.

2) How do we preserve our fish stocks

This is a much more difficult question and I am not sure we have the answers. MCZs make no contribution to this and it is not what they are about. Even CEFAS accept that over 30% of the north sea would have to be an MCZ to make any impact on fish stocks, simply because fish move. Banning discards, quotas etc. are all part of the solutions, but I don't think there is any suggestion that recreational angling has any impact on fish stocks.

I think if we can clarify the debate, show support and understanding for what Defra and MCS are trying to do, then there is a much greater chance of our fishing continuing with only minor restrictions.

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I am bit lost with the no boat fishing at ankhor bit i am born and bred from whitby and seen many massive seas have you any idea just what a force 9 gale does on 6mtr tide to the bottom in 60ft of water it rips everthing apart it rips full kelp storks out of the ground have you ever been to a major washup below brid after 6mtr tide and an easterly gale i remember going to one quite a few years ago there was 1000ss of lobsters ,gullys ,razors, clams , mussels , all washed up you would have thought an atomic bomb had been dropped at sea the weed was pilled 5 ft high all along the beach plus there was every fish that swims out there also washed up total destruction so dropping an ankhor wont make slightes bit of difference to ntz all an ankhor does when dropped is bite behind a boulder.

paul.

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

The Differance Paul is one Distruction Nature. and no one as control over Nature the other is Distruction by man controlled by them in high places Simple

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Big Cod is 100% right. I would add that a certain small number of anglers really understand this coast and what happens here. Sadly those people either arent able to converse at the level of scientists and politicians, or they are to busy.

Big cods knowledge of the sea in this area, shore and boat is phenomenal. Ray Maddison (Ramrod) has told me things about bait and where to find it that you would never have imagined possible (dont worry Ray, that secret stays with me). There is a hardcore element of sea anglers who know more than a university full of marine bioligists, and that is because we live and breath the sea on a daily basis, not only do we know the sea but we know the ways of the coastal communities too, we are the Culture.

Then you get a small bunch of people who come to the sea on a handful of times a year. They dangle a line and the next thing they are experts. Some are able to read documents and converse with politceans et al. The next thing we have a case of The blind leading the blind.

Like Paul says, when you have an easterly wash out its destruction on the largest scale possible. How many of those inlanders even know what a wash out is. Does hugh fearnley and his advisors know what a wash out is. It blows any argument about anchoring right out the water in an instant.

Then you get The Angling trust representing us on these matters. You get groups of individuals with no knowledge of the coast and its cultures, and suddenly they are negotiating on our behalves. Most of those people drive me in sane. The one bloke I liked was Stuart Mcpherson, simply because he admitted his lack of knowledge and came asking for the answers. He often phoned me, he often spoke to wcsa and he often engaged members of this site.

I worry immensly when people with no idea suddenly start saying what should and should not happen. Speaking to Dave Adamson he told me stories from Net gain that made me loose sleep. mad women wanting anchoring and even lead weights banning. Thankfully I understand they realised she was mentally unstable from the off.

8. bucko

bucko New Member

They worry me immensely- public opinion of angling has probably never been so low after they publicly stated they wanted to shoot that seal in the Severn (it would never have happened) and the tabloids, Facebook fools, sheeps with opinion etc got involved.
    Natural England seem to be able to ride roughshod over common sense and other organisations (ie: EA) regulations too.
    I don't like it one bit- but it seems we are being dragged unwillingly into having to defend the future of our sport.
    Those that say 'It can't happen here' should maybe cast their minds back to the foxhunters who said exactly the same thing.

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Paul, there's no stopping natures destruction, it's always been there and always will be.

However, I would bet that an area left undisturbed with the chance to re- establish itself, would cope with a big sea much better than one which has been dragged around. It would also get back to normal much faster too.

The sea is no different to the land in that respect, fill in the ditches, rip out the hedge backs and trees etc and what have you left, a barren, vulnerable piece of land basically, with no protection and no attraction to wildlife.

Remember that our coastline is not the same as other areas too, but saying you cannot drop anchor in Lyme- Regis but you can in Whitby would over complicate matters at this stage. Hugh FW does not reckon to have all the answers, he has always made that plain.

He's certainly not on the side of the government, and he's definately not a tree hugger, he's trying to give a balanced view as to what's going on, you can back him or sack him, but let's be honest, who else would you choose, if not him, to represent us. From a personal point of view, anyone who raises a pig then kills it and tells you how delicious it is without fear of some do-good er backlash gets my vote every time.

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Ray it what you are doing to the bottom and what with i know beaming has flattened the sea where ever its has taken place scalloping is on the same wave lenth rockhopper trawling isnt as destructive but still takes the top of the ground edges i do get a feeling that something is changeing with our waters they do need protecting but you are allways going to upset somebody traditional fishing metheods will make a return in time .

paul.

11. Clement

Clement Blenny

-As a recreational angler with limited knowlege of the nuances of HFW ,NCZ`s etc I would like to throw an idea
    to the forum.
    I fish for pleasure with my two boys in a small boat off Whitby.
    I like all of you would love to see the fish thrive in the area-how that is achieved is mostly out of my control.
    What I can control is the number of fish I catch (hopefully) and what myself and sons return (if lucky)
    With this in mind I would put up £100 for this season for the best fish (in the forums opinion) caught
    and importantly returned to the sea unharmed.
    -Witnessed and recorded by photograph.
    Maybe it would appease some of the "Do gooders" and "anti`s"
    Ian Burret at On yer marks is an exponent and operates on a "no take policy"
    Perhaps we could call it the Rex Hunt trophy (kiss and return)-A specimen fish is too good to catch once!

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Are you serious ? If so we could run a seperate topic on the theme of best catch and release. woukld you consider putting the cash in Whitby angling Supplies and then they could give £100 of tackle vouchers at the end of the year. Who would decide on the winner and on what criteria ?

13. Clement

Clement Blenny

Of course I am-I will drop a cheque into Whitby angling supplies on Sunday.
    Angling means a lot to my boys- I hope it helps.
    It might just improve our sustainability credentials.

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice gesture Clement :yes:

Perhaps Whitby Sea Angling might chip in a bit as well and have a kayak and a boat prize? just an idea.

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

How would you tell if the fish has gone back? Not that I don't trust everyone on here but ..... :cheesy:

16. Clement

Clement Blenny

I hope it will help the Charter skippers too.They could use it for promoting their business,some prospective
    customers might enjoy returning fish (whatever the size) as they might feel pressurised into taking fish.
    I feel that at least we can respond to the "anti`s" pressure by saying we are considering a "catch and release"
    Policy for this year .
    Even if we only release a few fish at least it could take the wind out of their sails.
    Sustainability seems to be a "Buz word" nowadays -why not jump on the bandwagon!.

17. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

A decade or so ago and longer, we had seasons where if you where in the right spot you caught cod as long as you had bait left you kept catching. I once had 52 codling off saltburn pier in one session most where returned alive and kicking, the deep hooked and bleeding where retained. Then one night on Whitby west I had 37 codling in one session, again a lot where returned etc etc. these type of catches don't happen anymore for obvious reasons. Nowadays a bag of ten codling is very good for me.
    I'm all for a bit of catch and release promotion from the shore as part of the above mentioned posts, obviously it would be pleasure angling , I think it would be a fun twist to our already fun exciting sea angling repertoire on this site. I look forward to me getting dale or Shammy taking a picture of me putting an eight pounder back. As said earlier if we as a unit could be seen to be pro active towards the current situation, it could help us all in the long run.
    And erm I won't be putting them all back..... If you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

18. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Spoke to Andy on the phone earlier and this sounds like a really good idea

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Not many members on this forum actually knows what goes on out there there at this moment a seal explosion is happening between them every day they are eating literally tons of cod commercial fishermen can't put a long line in the water as the seals are stripping the lines before they get them back in the boats .

The last time we were out x chartering out of 10 wrecks there was only 1 which didn't have a seal patrolling it its mental out there and way its going it won't be before there are more seals than fish.

Paul

20. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i could try for some type of sponsorship from firms ive worked for... and going to work for(got a job start monday), iv'e done it before for a local open i organised.