1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby's Commercial Fishermen, Unhappy With Hugh And His Fish Fight , yet Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its clearly shown on the Natural England and DEFRA site as one of the 31 to be implemented this year.

2. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

there is a lot of shite flying about at the momentabout all these MPA's.I,m 99% sure the fanatical group ,, "The Marine Conservation Society" are pulling HFW ''s strings and feeding him duff propaganda.i heard him say "Fisherman were using the distructive line fishing method" in his last programe?,whats distructive about it hugh.
    the netgain consultation and 8 million quid,hugh and his gang are saying it was a missed oppurtunity to save the humble fish,FISH was never EVER on netgains list of things to save hugh,only plenty of sponges and seaweeds.think even Natural england realised fish swim and move.
    Something deffinatly needs to be done to save the seas but not by theses idiots,who ,as smokey quite rightly says ,will ban every one

3. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

BTW - http://fakecharities.org/

Watch them take the taxpayer cash and support EU policy.

Even if placing 'bird mincers' right where golden eagles fly might cause some Bird lovers to question 'policy'. 23 million from HMG silences an awful lot of 'twitchers'.

Beyond fishing and the sea. If you want to see just how your future is decided then have a look at this (ff to 5:40 if you you want the 'juice only'). Here she's talking about how she wrote, as a FoE, anti capitalist radical, the most expensive piece of legislation (besides the welfare state) in the history of this country. And was given a knighthood for all her hard work.

We are now as a country looking at 'rolling blackouts'. Well you let FoE design your energy policy. Enjoy.

4. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

tell you what she could talk the back legs of a Donkey

5. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

as i thought,just looked on the Marine Conservation website,the march on westminster yesterday was organised by them they say,who was their up front getting his picture taken,..................why if its not our old friend Hugh Rodgering whittingstall

6. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

European Union fisheries ministers have agreed to phase out the controversial practice of dumping unwanted fish.

After a tense all-night meeting, ministers said a ban on "discards" should be phased in, starting in January 2014 for certain types of fish.

It is a victory for campaigners who have demanded the end of a practice that has brought the EU into disrepute.

But activists fear that exemptions for certain countries could open loopholes to be exploited in future talks.

'Historic moment'

The UN says Europe has the world's worst record of throwing away fish. Almost a quarter of all catches go back overboard dead because they are not the fish the crews intended to catch.

The decision reached early on Wednesday morning was driven by northern European nations, including the UK.

They prevailed over mainly Mediterranean countries, which were fighting to protect the interests of their fishermen.

The ban will apply to pelagic stocks like herring and whiting from next year, and to white fish stocks from January 2016.
    Spain, France and Portugal managed to cling on to some restricted exemptions, particularly relating to crews operating far from land in mixed fisheries where the cost of landing unwanted fish is deemed to be prohibitive.

These crews will be allowed to discard 9%, shrinking to 7%. This figure is too high for the northern nations and the European Commission, which say the public expects that in a hungry world no fish should be thrown away.

Details of how exactly the discards ban will work in practice with the quota system or its projected replacement will be debated later.

The British government, one of the campaigners for change, said it was disappointed that the ban was not absolute, but that last night’s result was an historic victory to end a "scandalous" policy.

It is one instance in which mass public pressure has clearly influenced the politicians, with almost a million people on the Online campaign site Avaaz demanding an end to discards.

UK Fisheries Minister Richard Benyon said: “This is a historic moment in reforming the broken Common Fisheries Policy. The scandal of discards has gone on for too long.

“I am disappointed that some of the measures required to put this ban into place are no longer as ambitious as I had hoped but it’s a price I am willing to accept if it means we can get the other details right.

7. Baramundi Bob

Watching Hugh now.

Ban Trawling and Dredging in there, leave the under 10's in with pots and lines only then you have my full backing.

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Yeh it was inspiring watching that sea bed cam Glenn No trawls or scallop dredge, just gill nets and pots and look at that beautifull sea bed. I would back that 110 percent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

9. bucko

bucko New Member

I couldn't stomach seeing him after all the pics this week of him looking like he thinks he's Jesus but coming over more like the leader of a brainwashing cult.
    I hope Charlie Brooker mentions him though :evil:

10. Lobbers

That fisherman, obviously commercial was over the moon saying they now had red mullet bass brill turbot and big monks. Fish that he had'nt seen for a long time. All this after only four years off no damaging harvesting. Nuff said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

11. Lobbers

At least he's trying to do SOMETHING buck

There's no fooooker else doing anything with half a voice

I can't fault him

12. Lobbers

I think we should get Dave the local banker on the fishfight

13. bucko

bucko New Member

Who funded that series?
    Why did they edit what that scientist said about the krill fisheries last week to make it sound like her wages were payed for by the krill industry (and then claim her very well worded statement on Facebook vanished because it was 'marked as spam'?

I just like to read between the lines of what I see and read- find out a bit of background etc.
    Often when you do- you see that all is not what it seems.

14. Baramundi Bob

Trust no-one. I still dont think he knows a right lot but hes a perfect tool for whoever is pushing this forward. The housewife loves him, and they believe him 100%

I can subscribe to no trawling and line fishinng and potting only. But I always fear that at any point this nugget is going to turn on us. Last series he was singing the praises of sustainable line fishing for tuna. Now this series he is hinting that line fishing is damaging. I dont trust the boz eyed fecker.

15. Lobbers

Couldn't give a major dyxj at all if you know what I mean

No one will stop me do what I do anyway

16. Baramundi Bob

we were talking about balaclavas on the yak. Like the sas off Sandsend Ness.

17. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If the propsed area around Whitby , and the Holderness is approved and enacted under the same controls as the area around Lyme Bay, then I dont think it would have any impact at all on recreational angling, and most probably would have positive effects. I spent a week at Lyme Regis not too long ago, that is, a weeks angling break, I fished from the shore, and had a few charter trips, plenty of fish, no complaints from the skippers, in fact, it was a good week...the lads in the local tackle shop were doing well, plenty of trade, the local pubs and restaurants had plenty of trade as it was a club trip, lots of beer drunk and food eaten Skippers had a few charters,there was a small fleet of self drive fishing boats for hire, which did get used as well, the local economy did well enough out of us... I would recommend it to anybody. And lets remember that Mr Whittingstall,had nothing to do with that, and he holds it up,as a good example.

There does seem though to be a blurred area in Mr Whittingstalls program, he referrs to the proposed areas in different terms, one time a "protected area " one time " an MCZ" another time , another description..... maybe he should tighten up the descriptions of what the proposals are, or maybe they are being deliberateley fogged over so that nobody knows what to expect.That seems to be the problem at the moment,nobody knows what is coming, and therefore automatically thinks of the worst scenario.

Roger.

18. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Why are people pointing the finger at him!
    He's highlighting what's going on in our seas, and trying to push through what is already in the pipeline, as he believes it will offer our seas some salvation, for the time being, at least!

The truth is, what has been proposed re protected areas, is very minimal and IMO won't make any difference to us as anglers.

What is obvious, regardless of how critical you are, is how the fishing is deteriorating, this won't put it right, but it's a start. True it might go pants up but what are the options?

19. Baramundi Bob

Fair point Ray. I think Im critical out of fear. I think hes done good things so far but I really fear that at some point the finger points in our direction. More a mistrust of IFCAs than him, but if people start putting ideas in his head, god knows where it ends.

I think the Commercial fishing industry hate him right now, but I dont feel too bad about that. Its them who needs change forced upon them.

20. Lobbers

If you have watched Hugh's program's over the years you would know that he likes to wet a line in the brine the same as the rest of us.