1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby's Commercial Fishermen, Unhappy With Hugh And His Fish Fight , yet Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would agree with Smokey as these Marine Conservation Zones arent only about Scallop Dreging and Im not sure why Scallopers have been used as the example as there are many other ways of fishing that will be hit at the same time.

An MCZ wont be closed to just scallopers it will be closed to everyone, Under 10m, Liners, netters, potters, charter Boats, private boats, kayaks, the lot, and where they come up to the shore that will include, anglers, crabbers and diggers.

Under 10m boats have had the doggy do do end of the stick for many years now, and Ive seen many of them Turn on the charter boats when really they should have gone to war with the NFFO who stole all thier quota, sadly thier representatives wernt intelligent enough to understand the larger issues. So whilst the under 10's spent years slagging off the charter fleet, The NFFO and the over 10's dissapeared over the horizon unnoticed with everyone elses fishing rights and quotas.

In my eyes I would rather see a port full of sustainable under 10m boats supplying a local market, than a port with transient over 10's catching everything afore them and then moving on to the next area.

And when Smokey speaks about NEIFCA and Natural England, listen to him very carefully as he has first hand knowledge of these quangos whoose sole interest is to keep themselves and fellow university bum chums in jobs. Also youll have masses of University students and marine biologists spending government grants to tell us the whole project is wonderfull because they found 10 new wonderfull sponges on the sea bed and a lesser spotted sea horse.

2. Baramundi Bob

Maybe this is where the mackerel went

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/why-purse-seining-is-obscene

3. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

THIS IS TO PROTECT POTTERS INTERESTS

back to News
    Scallop Dredger Fined £10,000

Scallop Dredger Fined £10,000

King Scallop 100 mm

CALISHA LTD FINED £10000 AND SKIPPER FINED £1000 FOR SCALLOP DREDGING WITHIN A PROHIBITED AREA EAST OF FLAMBOROUGH HEAD

On the 22nd April 2012 a report was received stating that fishing vessel Calisha PD235 was dredging for scallops to the East of Flamborough Head Special Area of Conservation.

This area is protected by North Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (NEIFCA) emergency byelaw preventing the use of dredges between Filey Brigg and Spurn Head. The purpose of the byelaw is to protect vital artisanal potting grounds and important marine habitats out to six nautical miles

On the 11th February 2013 Calisha LTD entered a guilty plea at Bridlington Magistrates Court. Calisha Ltd owner of Calisha PD235 was fined £10000 and ordered to pay full costs of £1233.92 and a victim surcharge of £15.

Elwyn Hughes, Skipper of fishing vessel Calisha during the offence also entered a guilty plea and was fined £1000 and ordered to pay £15 victim surcharge.

A spokesperson for the NEIFCA said “the fines administered by the court reflected the severity of the offences committed. The decision to implement an emergency byelaw is not taken lightly and any such byelaw is widely publicised. Such breaches will be fully investigated and, when appropriate, further action including prosecution will be considered”

4. bullfish

bullfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This issue is easy to solve ban the scallop dredge ban beem trawling retrain the lads who lose there jobs to farm fish or set them up with long lines etc... If something major is not done very soon all the big boats will be out of jobs no fish left to catch why go to sea? buy up the boats and make them reefs no reason for any one to lose out?

5. Baramundi Bob

Bullfish and others, Your all missing one very vital and important point. Well all accept Smokey who nailed it perfectly.

The proposal isnt simply to ban scallop dredging, The proposal is to ban everything. That includes.

Scallop Dredging
    Worm digging
    Crab Collecting
    Shore Fishing
    Kayak Fishing
    Pair trawling
    Potting
    netting
    single trawl
    long lining
    sole netting
    winkling
    diving
    spear gun fishing
    farting

The proposed MCZ at Runswick could see an end to all these practices, and as Ive pointed out to killer in a pm, this includes his favorite wrecks up that way.

It was a clever move by Whittingstall to use Scallop dredging in his example of destructive fishing practices as this enables him to get the housewife and general layperson on side. Its bad for us because the general public will now turn on anyone who doesnt agree they should be banned from a mcz, that includes all us anglers.

Inshore potting is the most regulated and policed fishery on the coast. NEIFCA are on thier backs constant and a man caught taking a single undersized lobster can be hit harder than a man taking £4 million worth of over quota mackerel. Why should the under 10m potters be forced out of some of thier most productive areas that are being fished sustainably and policed heavily.

Ive seen this coming for years. The reality of it all is not far away now, and there aint a right lot you can do about it. Thankgod most my fishing will be done in Scotland from now on.

6. sideswipe

sideswipe Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the way things are going anything to do with fishing will be banned.if we all should stand together to fight is .it will be sumthing you will telling your great grand children.what we all did for hobbies and sum did for a job.

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I have spoke to natural england this morning been waiting for phone call back for over 3 hours, to close an area that size to north of whitby is craczy all they are doing is extending the waddy as it is called the box from sandsend to boulby that goes out to 3 miles from the lowest point at low water now they are by looking on the map taking it out to roughly 5 miles this area has had a bylaw in place for many year restricting trawling of any description out to 3 miles in the box now it looks like they want to ban everybody that now includes long lineing, gillnetting ,lobster potts fish traps and angling hooking madness .
    I have allways said after all the desruction over the years the day anglers who pose little or no threat to the marine enviroment get hit with this sort of rubbish its defernetly gone mad.

paul.

8. Baramundi Bob

So who went to all those meetings and believed what Natural England told you about it not effecting anglers. Who ignored the whole thing in the hope it would go away. You've all got egg on your faces now. Just glad my cod fishing days are over. Scotland bass and pollack for me from now on. What happened to this promise to protect areas offshore such as dogger bank? Why are all these mcz inshore ?? Simple - Jobs for the IFCAS whilst in the all important offshore zone its a free for all as normal.

Its too late to make a complaint because youve all gone through the consultation process with them. Anyone trying to complain in the press or on TV will be made to look like an enviroterroist as Hugh Fearnley has already set the general public on us.

Haha, you couldnt make it up. What cheeses me off is I seen it all coming and hardly any of you went along to meetings and kicked up a stink.

Anyone remember the Net Gain Meeting in The Fleece when I had a right ding dong with Pete Hansell and not one of you backed me up ? Just left me there looking like a right idiot. Well Your chickens all came home to roost. Should of said something whilst you had the chance.

9. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/richard-brewer-whitby-trawler-skipper-fined-for-illegal-fishing

Soon this could read, Paul Kilpatrick, Caught fishing the chimney wrecks off Staithes on his boat Sea Otter 2 was fined £2000

Daniel Probert and Mike Marshall caught pollack fishing off sandsend ness in a kayak, fines £800 each.

Were all going to be criminals.

10. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Itll make it more exciting poaching for cod.What a bunch of do gooding wa##ers they are.

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh:

I,ve made my intentions clear, I,ve no intention of attending such meetings. My reason is, because I don't know enough about the subjects involved, and I,d rather say nothing than say the wrong things and shoot myself in the foot! As I also said, there are a lot of better qualified, more informed people out there. If I wanted to sit there like a muppet and do nothing but make the numbers up I would become an Mep :whistle:

On one side of the table we have a load of muppets, just like me, who don't qualify to make a decision.
    On the other side we usually have people who do know, but only have their own interests at heart.

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

We'll be poaching lobsters before long.

3MM size increase coming in 1mm increase over next 3 years,last time they did this was in 2000 and it's taken 10 years in these parts for numbers to level out.

We're at a meeting tomorrow with NEIFCA who are bringing in a pot limitation scheme for the under 10 fleet,god knows where we stand with this as your allocation go's back on your last 3 years amount of gear the vessel worked,our boat laid unused for 2010-2011 so basically a license i have paid for could be all but worthless.

2 escape hatches to be fitted into each pot by the end of this season,even though i have it on very good word that the NEIFCA boys trialled them last summer,they put legally just sized lobsters in the pots and when they hauled them 24 hours later the vast majority of them lobsters were gone???

Back on track though,the vast majority of areas that could be closed from the fish fight campaign will be the areas people can see from the clifftop,where "results" can be seen from,i kid you not,us potters are on the hitlist from net gain etc as they believe our pots are damaging corals,sponges and the like and if they could prove it,would happily make land rock areas NTZ'S.One big northerly smash up does more damage to land rock than the potters could do in a lifetime.

Frank Avey, that report was because he got caught fishing inside of 6 mile,the areas they will close to scalloping (if any) will be all aback the 6 mile limit where the North Eastern Guardian Fisheries vessel (NEIFCA) has no powers or jurisdiction.
    It is "patrolled" by the navys mersey class frigates,at best you see them once a year,twice if your lucky so like i asked you who is going to police it??

On the other hand you have under 10 potters,i got boarded and inspected 5 times in one week while hauling the pots 2 years ago.

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

We,re all doomed Mart! :death:

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Well- if that MCZ goes ahead I'll have to trade in the rod caught fish we eat most of the year for ones caught by factory ships and stocked en masse in supermarkets... :canadian:

15. bullfish

bullfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don't mind not fishing in some areas if it gives the chance of my one year old
    To be able to catch fish to eat like me and my dad did and still do if we're lucky. We all live on the same earth all need to eat and breath so things have change if not its looking bleak for our kids and Grand kids

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

What about shore angling glen armageddon loomes sandsend to bouldby out of bounds for shore fishing and bait collecting the worlds gone totally mad.

What is a No Take Zone?

A No Take Zone (NTZ) is a Marine Protected Area (MPA) permanently set aside from direct human disturbance , where all methods of fishing and extraction of natural materials, dumping, dredging or construction activities are prohibited , from which the removal of any resources, living or dead is prohibited. NTZs can be used alongside conventional fisheries and wildlife conservation management measures in order to protect marine wildlife and heritage and safeguard or improve local fish stocks for future generations to enjoy. NTZs may be in isolation, surrounded by normal fishing grounds, or form part of a larger marine reserve, managed for nature conservation, with managed buffer zones around the NTZ.

paul.

17. Howard

Howard Blenny

Just a quick reminder (update) on the NTZ @ Flamborough Danes Dyke. Now as I understood it this was introduced as a trial or pilot project 3 yrs ago. It extends nearly 1km seaward from the cliff even parties of school children are not allowed to remove as much as a pebble from the area. It has provided work for a select bunch of "researchers"from various Quangos and was gaurded heavily in the early days by NE Gaudian and naval vessels although I see them less and less these days but the whole operation will have cost a fortune. Now this "project" has 2 more years to run but this winter saw some massive s/e seas that smashed the area to pieces almost every living thing was deposited on the beach dead causing way way more damage than any fishing effort could ever do so whats the point of it all ?
    Reflecing earlier thoughts I believe the future of our fishing industry lies in the sustainable (proven over hundreds of years) inshore fleet not the industrial offshore slaughter of recent years.
    Now at the very least should not the results of this costly experiment be assesed before we go any further down this particular inshore NTZ concept ?
    These must be very unsettling times for the likes of Mart and charter skippers.

18. Baramundi Bob

£8 million pound was spent on consultation Paul. WCSA were involved, your names are on the attendance sheets. Not a lot you can do now.

Reading info on existing mcz you may get lucky and be allowed into some of the area on a strict catch and release basis. Not all is set in stone yet, you need to find out what exactly is proposed for that area and then set about working out how it is going to effect you. I think the final consultation process ends in March and the aim to have byelaws in place this year. So you havent got long

As I say Im pleased I shifted the focus of my fishing away from cod and shore in this area. Holidays to Scotland etc will get me my fix. Ive done my fair share of speaking to Natural England and NEIFCA. I suggest if you care about your future you start getting involved to, I would suggest the same to all shore cod anglers or else you may loose some of your Favourite marks from Staithes to Sandsend.

19. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi,

On that fishfight website the Runswick Bay MCZ is listed as .. "The government have said they will not protect this site, for now. Let them know if you support this site, and the rest of the 127 MCZs..."

There appears to be only 31 MCZ'z that are listed as "The government have said they would like to protect this site in 2013. Let them know if you support this site, and the rest of the 127 MCZs..."

Now I suppose the "for now" bit is what makes it so ominous but it seems like it aint gonna be implemented in the first wave of them ???

20. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Scallopers have been used as the example because their methods make for good TV.

But if anyone here thinks this isn't going to end with a total ban on everything related to the sea - well you are living in dreamland. "listen to him very carefully as he has first hand knowledge of these quangos whose sole interest is to keep themselves and fellow university bum chums in jobs". It's 'policy based evidence making' at its finest. Set a policy then find some 'scientist' to back the policy. Let's face it, they, scientists, are paid by HMG and want to keep the taxpayer loot flowing. HMG says the EU want 'this outcome' and some 'scientist' gives them what they want in relation to the N. Sea.

As I have suggested before on this site, they don't ever stop. "quangos whose sole interest is to keep themselves and fellow university bum chums in jobs". Having achieved their initial 'targets' they need, in order to keep the loot flowing, some new targets. They can't stop. Stopping means 'back to the job market' and no more 200,000 a year . What 'QUANGO' muppet is ever going to give that up without a fight. Would you?