1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby's Commercial Fishermen, Unhappy With Hugh And His Fish Fight , yet Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

Myself and lobbers have been on the east pier some years ago and watched the lightsgo out on a trawler as he sstarted fishing barely 200 yards off the beach we could clearly hear his engine for a good few hours expecting him to come in through both piers but no he went back out some not to be seen and caught now this to me is blatant disrespect for the laws put in place to protect the fish. These people need to literally f#ck*do up the bottom with a red hot iron bar in front of a huge crowd so they don't do it again and the member who said the best trawlers are the ones tied up in port has hit the nail on the head they are nothing better than the local smack heads who go in to people's homes and rob them, Does anyone think that a single skipper out there have a conscience after reading all these posts? No does he feck they are all horrible and have their own rules in their heads. I think they should be all shut down in a day arm the royal navy up and blow them all up with a with a nicebbig missile and throw the ribbing twits a dingy to get 20 miles back to the shore :laugh:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Why would he need to turn his lights out ? If hes under 60ft he can fish right up to the beach and quite legally. Also I cant see any advantage to him fishing there as its one of the most barron places round here.

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

well this guy was fishing up loch crinan and you could chuck a stone using a underarm lob onto the deck of his boat from the shore [​IMG] like as been said if under 10m they can fish where they like they must be something to catch are the trawlers would go else where maybe a the skipper are a little different up scotland as we always get a waive of them and its not a two finger waive

4. oneeyed

oneeyed Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Trawling within 3miles should be banned that's one great big protection zone in whole of Great Britain then let the navy go to town on any Spanish French or European trawler that plays dumb. Would be a great spectacle fishing on the pier at night watching that lol

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Dredgeing for scallops has been big buisness over the years and the damage it does to the sea is staggering scalloping goes on off our coast regulary quite a few years ago a large team of boats came to whitby and trashed the grounds big style landing many 1000s of bags of scallops off the ground to the south of whitby which is mainly soft perfect for the scallops these grounds have never produced the same since.
    Local boats do still fish for scallops at certain times of the year i just cant understand how defra and such scream about NTZ artificial reefs to protect the enviroment then then allow the total desrtuction of the sea bed with scallop dredgeing it doesnt make any sense fishermen have to make a living but with scalloping its just to destructive to the enviroment.

paul.

6. cps

cps Rockling

paul i dont think everyone knows what a scalop dredge looks like or how it actually works, its more like harrowing the sea bead than trawling

7. jethro

jethro New Member

Back in the 80's when I used to fish the boats at Scarborough. Queenies were used just as much as mussel was. I bet with the price and the lack of them nowadays theyre not used on the charter boats.

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What really gets to me is the insistance of the fishing fleet that there is and never was a problem with fish and any other stocks you can
    think of , there has been a major problem for donkeys years NO IFS OR BUTS just a major problem , everything is in decline but can they
    recognise that fact ? no chance --- there wasnt a problem with the grand banks off canadas coast untill the whole industry collapsed
    many years ago and it still hasnt recovered , all of the time they are in denial , there isnt a problem !!!!!!!!! nothing has changed one bit
    Over at Kircudbright in SW Scotland years ago large lorries were loaded up with scallops it was like the gold rush , guess what happened
    ? ? ? , yes you have got it in one , the Lochs in western scotland were decimated and they havent recovered , having zones in the right place makes sense and it wouldnt be the most difficult thing in the world to enforce it , but will it happen , I dont think so

9. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i watched the program with interest and was sickened to see the damage the scallop dredgers did to the sea bed and the sealife .
    what a difference in the areas set aside ,small marine animals and an abundance of all sorts of sealife not the barren desert which was dredged .
    these commercials wont be happy until they have greedily taken everything they can get their hands on for a quick buck.
    if the land was farmed the same so people could see the damage there would be uproar.
    the sooner they bring in these protected areas the better as the commercials wont stop ,just look what there doing to the whitefish and mackerel stocks,who,d have thought we would have a shortage of mackerel but ask the lads fishing the west coast or the cardigan bay skippers who were struggling to catch enough for a days charter fishing.

frank.

10. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

there was a noticable drop in stocks last year with the mackerel. like you say if it was the same with farming there would be uproar, out of sight out of mind. its up to the commercial lads, either sustain whats being caught or retrain in another industry, im sure loads of us have been made redundant in the past and have had to retrain i personally have had to retrain three times to do different jobs.

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

I'm curious to know,do you include the under 10 fleet in comments like this?
    Be VERY carefull what you all wish for because if all this ground on land rock is declared a NTZ,you do all realise you won't won't be to kayak fish there,boat fish there,take a peeler crab ETC ETC if it's an NTZ for the under 10 potters,it's a NTZ for you lads.
    From reading through these comments the vast majority of you know nothing about what you are talking about,to you guys a "commercial" is a commercial tarred with the same brush,the under 10 meter potters do absolutely jack sh1t to fish stocks or destruction of the seabed,but if these mpz and ntz's come in,it's us who will bare the brunt of it,not the big boys.

Just for the record i hate scallop dredgers,just this afternoon a 17 a side scottish vessel has turned up in SH harbour.

12. sideswipe

sideswipe Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well said smokey .i have told that to them in tackle shops

13. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-the-new-fish-fight

14. MCP

MCP Blenny

Scallop dredging occurred in Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, Australia for many years and caused enormous damage to the sea bed. Due to the pressure of anglers and the loud voice of Rex Hunt, scallop dredging was banned permanently over a decade ago. Since then the Snapper fishing in the bay has improved immensely. Dredging causes immense damage to sealife and structure on the seabed and should never be allowed. Bottom trawling also causes very significant damage and lays large areas of seabed barren of life,plants and structure to protect immature fish. It is time the fishing industry was accountable for the damage it causes to the environment. The sea bed should be only fished with traps, lines and pots. Not nets. Anglers need to put pressure on the government to protect all areas, not have no take zones which serve no purpose except pleasing the greenies.
    Mick

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Exactly the same has happed in the north sea beaming ,dredgeing have done imense damage to the sea bed but not only that fish stocks have plumeted since the 70ss the madness continuies a man who is willing fish sustainably with lines etc is kicked in nutts with small quotas while we have the likes of manchester united who if i am not wrong holds the biggist single cod quota in the uk which is leased off to highest bidder to make a massive profit , certain methods of fishing arent sustainable but nobody seems to want to admit it .

paul.

16. Baramundi Bob

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Real-Fish-Fight/269844023054201

17. Baramundi Bob

Anyone interested ?? Just let me know

18. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

smokey .
    this discussion was about scallop dredgers ,why do you bring potters into it ,no one has mentioned potters at all .
    the reason why peoples backs are up over the scallop dredgers is you dont have to be an expert in the marine enviroment to realise that dragging strings of heavy metal chains along the bottom is doing untold harm to a lot more than scallops and theres more than enough evidence if you can be bothered to look around to prove it .
    how you can bring potters into the discussion is beyond me ,they hang baskets on ropes which do next to no damage to the enviroment, fishing in a sustainable way, releasing undersize crabs and lobsters not smashing them up with heavy chains ,no one has any issues with them.
    we care about our seas thats why we bother to comment.

frank.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

How can i bring potters into this?

Like i said in the post above,it will be the small boats potting inside who will get shafted by all this sh1te HFW is spreading.

http://www.mczmapping.org/

Take a good long look at this map and the areas where they want MCZ's,next step up from this is a NTZ which they can implement when they see fit,wether they have supporting evidence or not.

Yes scallop dredging seriously needs looking at but you are all blindly getting suckered into supporting whittingstall with his closed areas.It won't be the big boats that get stopped through this fish fight it will be the under 10 fleet who can be seen from the clifftops therefore managed far easier
    What you fail to realise is this is all about whittingstall lining his own pockets and getting massive publicity doing it and on the other hand you have NEIFCA , NET GAIN ,NATURAL ENGLAND and a whole other load of bullsh1t government quangos feathering their own nests to keep "jobs for the boys".

Just out of interest frank if they close off areas outside of 6 mile,who is going to police it?

Another point of interest,which no doubt i will get shot down in flames,do you consider the likes of killa and rich wards as "commercials"? because i most certainly do (not in a bad way) but its a fact they make their living from the sea,my potting boat has a capped fish quota (due to the previous owner not bothering with fish) and i am allowed 300 kilo of fish A YEAR,that's 6 kilo a week,the whitby charter boats take more than that in a week,per boat.

Like i said above,any protected ground that comes into force,will be 95% inshore potting grounds,be carefull what you support and call for as once its there it aint going away.

20. sideswipe

sideswipe Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well said again smokey.i work on a under 10m boat potting aswell .the shore angler can not see the wider picture ? they all have jobs a shore and not care.why dont sum off them buy a commercial boat and give it ago .then see what its this side of picture.