1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby's Commercial Fishermen, Unhappy With Hugh And His Fish Fight , yet Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:canadian:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-the-new-fish-fight

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/business/skippers-declare-war-on-tv-chef-1-5433352

2. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

If these zones were just placed "Willy Nilly" across the North Sea then it would be highly likelythey would be ineffective as they would be in the wrong place. So why are these people getting so annoyed.

Of course, On the other hand if they were placed in all the right places to give fish refuge from the onslought, then I could understand them getting annoyed as it will mean these people wont be allowed in there to catch the fish.

So whats the scores on the doors, Georgie Doors

3. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

I saw the programme and think it makes perfect sense. I was shocked by the damage Scallop fishing does.

4. Baramundi Bob

Yeah its not just the scallops they take, they completely knack the sea bed.

5. When working down in Cornwall I went out boat fishing around Falmouth area

The I used to go out with told me some of the features on the sea bed had drop20' due to repeatedly have the tops taken off by Scallop trawling

Given also that Mackeral now seems to be coming 'endangered' the warning signs are there for all to see

Cheers

U

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Talking to one of my customers the other day from the west coast he said the run of mackeral last year was very small thats not a good sighn industrial fishing for mackeral will lead to one thing in the end disaster for mackeral.

paul.

7. Markj

Markj Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't think these commercials understand the word"sustainable" . Hugh is not doing this to piss them off . Think the idea is to have conserve what we have left and build up stocks so we all have better sustainable fishing for other generations.

It's a billion pound industry with absolutely zero or very little protection, madness!

8. North Sea diver

North Sea diver Divers do it deeper!

I've seen the destruction the scallop dredgers make of the seabed when I've been diving up Scotland, it makes me angry to think that its allowed to go on.

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

does the sea bed stay like that IE all dug up with nowt Growing NO its like a farmer Ploughing his field the small scallops that get put back grow in time to become big scollops and the cycle continues you might of seen the sea bed just after a scollop dredger as just over the ground what about in 6 months time most Likley its back to normal how often do scollop dredgers work over the same area ive no idea but it must be like fishing the wrecks charter/ private boat bags up and a few weeks /months later the new stock of fish are on the wreck ? and the cycle continues just my thoughts

10. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

The sea bed does recover, but it is a slow process and depends on the nature of the sea bed. Estuarine muds take 6 to 8 months, sand and gravel takes 2 to 3 years and reef-type structures take 5 to 10 years. One of the aims of the MCZs is to provide seed areas, so that marine populations growing within an MCZ will grow out a repopulate areas destroyed by dredging and trawling.

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/9084615.Lyme_Regis__Diver_says_seabed_making____remarkable____recovery_after_dredge_ban/?ref=rss

11. SJG

SJG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Scallop dredging is not like ploughing a field. Scallops in the larval stage will only settle on certain sediment types and when a scallop dredger goes over the sediment it alters the sediment composition in that area and also allows mobile scavenging species to come and dominate the area which is not good for the health of the ecosystem. This however is no reason to just go and place no take zones all over the north sea, they should only be placed where they will be effective and you should allow the fishermen to fish in areas where stocks are able to repopulate. Sticking no take zones everywhere can be detrimental to the environment as the fishermen (which have been made to look worse than Hitler in my opinion) have to fish somewhere to earn a living and placing the no take zones will displace the fishing effort to other areas and may mean that other fishing grounds are fished doubly hard. If I had my way, I'd limit scallop dredgeing a beam trawling to areas with high recruitment and ability to repopulate, get rid of the industrial hoovers / limit the size of boat allowed to operate and put large amounts of money into finding out where MCZs should and shouldn't be placed. That said, I wouldn't want to be the guy having to keep everyone happy :s ... That's my input for what it's worth

12. Vulcan

Vulcan Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thinking back to some of The Net Gain meetings, The local Fishermen walk out of the very first meeting and refused to play any part. The NFFO also considered suing Net Gain.

I would be more able to offer support to local fishermen if they didnt have such a bad history of bending every rule in the book over the past 30 years. Other methods have been tried such as Only allowing certain nets sizes, only allowing certain quota per month, some closed zones (like the one off Sandsend). UK Skippers have been found guilty of breaking each and every one of those rules.

Whitby Skippers have been prosecuted for trawling in the no trawl zone at Sandsend. They have also been prosecuted for landing over quota fish.

The problem of using blinders to close mesh on certain net types is well documented.

They have high graded fish for years (thrown away small fish in order to land bigger fish of more value. Ie 1tonne of big cod is worth far more than 1 tonne of small cod).

Scottish skippers have been found guilty of landing over quota Mackerel to the value of £7, 000 000 (million) per boat in a single season.

Rules were brought in to stop big boats fishing inside 3 miles of the coast. Only boats less than 60 ft were allowed inside of 3 mile. So what did they do ? Sold their big boats or modified them to 59.5ft and put big engines in them.

They have brought the cod fishery and now the mackerel fishery to the point of collapse, whilst bleating on every year about how much fish there is in the sea.

How are we supposed to sympathise when they have dodged every rule in the book for 30 years or more. They need firm treatment before there is no future for any of them, or for us for that matter.

I now conclude the only way to stop them is to close areas, monitor them closely and take away the licence of any vessel found in there. The only good trawler is one tied to the fish quoy.

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

do we have scallop dredgers working off our coast line ? so how long is it after the dredge as been over until he comes along again to do the same thing again think its fish where short of not scallops most scallops are for the European market so im told

14. Baramundi Bob

I believe there was scallops off Scarborough and Brid. Im told there aint many left.

15. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I've boat fished out of the Isle of Whithorn for many years now and experienced the damage done by the scallop boats. We used to fish an area known as the cod grounds, this was as area of sea bed about a mile out that had a depression about a couple of foot deep and the size of two football pitches. It was rich in all forms of marine life that not only attracted cod but a great variety of fish.
    Thanks to the scallop boats this area no longer exists, it has been filled in by the repeated action of the boats dragging their gear over it.
    This happened over 5 years ago and every year we go over the mark and try a few hours fishing. It is now devoid of fish life we are lucky to catch the odd dogfish and certainly never seen a cod there.
    I know that the boat skippers have a living to make in these hard times but we really do need to take a long hard look at what's going on or there's only a bleak future looming on the horizon.

16. frankie

frankie Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What would the commercials prefer - fishing in slightly smaller areas (very small percentage loss for a few marine areas) or not fishing at all when there are no fish to catch ?
    simples !
    As for scallop dredging - the sea bed in loch fyne where I dive regularly looks more like a carpet bomb testing area than a sea bed...... and may be recovering, but slowly......

frankie

17. Howard

Howard Blenny

The scallopers work our patch every year Alain usually just aback of 12 mile. There big boats now with some Europeans amongst them. I think Lucymay took some pics of one hauling last year. Its about now they start. Years ago most of the Scarborough boats used to have a few weeks on the Queenies at this time while things are quiet . I remember buying a sack full for a few quid there worth a fortune now. I dont think we need worry about them buggering our fishing up its the dire shortage of small codling worrying me M8.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of lucymays photos from spring last yr. Hope ya dont mind Dave. As you can see its bags are full.

18. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It was small alright Paul they took some finding the year before was terrible too

19. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi H hows Things no wonder ive not seen the Dredges working i only go out to about 9 mile in my wee boat must get some bigger paddles LOL

20. dunlin

dunlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I bought my first Fishfinder, an Eagle Mach 1 paper sounder in 1988 and still have readouts, I made then, showing rock pinnacles in excess of 10ft high, in an area known as Craig Hole and the Five Islands, about two miles off Saltburn. I could name other similar features but now all my sounder shows there, is flat rock, thanks to the attention of trawlers with heavy " rockhopper" gear.
    In recent years, a Whitby boat has repeatedly dragged the bay from Huntcliff to Redcar, quite legally apparently, sometimes for three or four days on the trot and at times within a couple of hundred yards of the beach, doing irreparable damage to the sea bed, razor fish beds and worm stocks, not to mention killing immature flat fish of many species, in what is effectively a nursery area. Trawling of any sort should not be permitted within three miles of shore!