1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby West Pier To Be Closed Again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, May 29, 2012.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

whitby west pier will be closed to the public from the 11th june for 6 to 8 weeks to replace the temporary bridge.

god knows why it will take that long.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Thats awful timing for you lads again- hope they compensate you for loss of business from the 'macky' crowd.

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

tell us about it bucko. SBC said if they waited till the end of summer, they would be accused of unduly prosponing the project.

4. TonyC

TonyC New Member

SBC would never dream of pulling a similar stunt in the tourist season in Scarborough, the traders/ hoteliers wouldn't tolerate it - a closure of 6 to 8 weeks suggests not sufficient resources being employed or/and the usual attitude of "lets screw Whitby tourist up again so they will come to Scarborough"

5. pmac

pmac Blenny

6 to 8 weeks !!!!!
    its imposible to drag it out to take that long!!!
    what are they going to do fab it and fit it piece by piece on site????
    still wouldnt take that long..
    who is going to tell my grandkids they are not going macky fishing on there this year.

6. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

In 6-8 weeks they could build a vertical pier. :laugh:

7. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

In 6-8 weeks they could build a vertical pier.

And also "bridge" the gap on the east pier.

8. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

me you an lobbers could do it paul :cheesy: :cheesy: job n knock :wink:

9. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Aye, but the East pier looks like it's going need more than a new bridge.

10. pmac

pmac Blenny

yep dave (portlandbill)
    and 1/2 the price too. :yes: :yes:
    you not working yet Dave ??

11. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

semi retired paul :cheesy: unless something decent pops up :wink: u can always take grandkids down the gare :vomit:

12. pippen

pippen Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

We have the contract to replace the bridge ( Wilf nobles) these things take to do rite and saftley on the plus side I'll be able to go down berfor work n have the peir to my self

13. kencoddy

kencoddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

can any one tell me why thier doing this work at the hieght of summer :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

14. kirkby lad

kirkby lad New Member

just sheer incompetence nobody has one of their major tourist attractions closed for the height of the holiday season. six weeks would see it open for the school summer holidays. can it be done in less than 6 weeks pippen.

15. pippen

Only time will tell we at Wilf nobles will be working hard to get it finished onetime but there will be other trades doin most ov the fabrication work we will be striping it for them lads then Putin it all bk together when they are finished all ov the pier won't be closed just the section after the bridge the only ppl it will affect is the fishing community tourist will still be abil to walk upto that point and as regards to it doin damage to the tourism I dour it will affect it it will affect the tackle shop but everyone carnt be pleased n if thease repairs wernt made there wud be no extentions to fish off so 6-8 week off no extentions is surely worth it in the long run ain't it ??

16. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bad timing by SBC yet again...

17. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

What they building the humber bridge for gods sake you couldnt make it up shocking 6 weeks incredible questions need to be asked why in the middle of the buisest part of the tourist period is the peir out of action for 6 weeks somebody wants the chop,

paul.

18. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i agree that is just bad planning and feel sorry for the tackle shops and buisnesses that will lose out on trade for two months,i think on the plus side at least the work is been carried out which has to be a good thing,very bad timing !! :no: surely 6 to 8 weeks they could fix the east pier too!! :yes:

19. simmo

simmo stay calm and carry on

brown nose

20. pippen

Only keeping ppl informed not like gaffer reads this forum smart arse