1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby West Pier In Rough Conditions - Awesome Or Stupid ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Quite a debate going on locally, in the tackle shops and amongst many local lads about anglers fishing the West Pier in bad conditions ? Some forum members have been criticised, Rumors are circulating that Whitby Club are going to ban the pier if the gate is shut.

Personally I believe its the safest place to be out of all the marks so long as you practice some common sense such as never going down the ladder for a fish and being careful when crossing the west pier bridge. I believe it fishes best in the most extreme conditions and its each individuals right to make their own choice of wether to fish there or not. So what are peoples thoughts ?

2. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

I agree I would rather be out there in bad conditions. at least if a wave gets you there is the rails to get hold of. you don't get that on rock marks

3. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Agree too, it's safe even with big sea on as long as you don't go on the lower deck as you stated. There are many more place much more dangerous in those conditions.
    I been on in big seas and never been worried

4. Baramundi Bob

Going back a few years now, I was fishing a club match. Mike Vasey had rung me to ask for a lift as he wasnt comfortable driving in the snow. There was a full on gale from the north west. Massive seas and driving snow, at times I could make the road out from the moorland. I opted for Robin Hoods Bay to get some shelter. It was even very rough there which says a lot really. Mike managed a fish of around 9lbs.

Back at the way in there was very little caught except Dave Parrott had 4 mops. I asked him where he had been and he told me West Pier. I was quite shocked and said it must have been horrendous on there. Dave described almost dragging himself along the railings to get to a point to cast in. He said he got 4 mops laid on. I became convinced from then that there arent many seas can stop you fishing on there.

5. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

The said individual caught some nice fish and was followed on to the pier by others. Maybe the people doing the criticising are jealous they missed out on some fish them selves funny old town really. Most good local anglers I know fish the pier heavier than the day in question

6. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

force 10 northerly, hailstones the size of large marbles, 18 codling to 7lb, ask northwestern, he never had a bite :cheesy:, one of many sesions on there in extreme conditions.
    you just have to keep a keen eye on whats happening around you, it is without a shadow of a doubt the safest place in those conditions, even with spring tides the big waves dont actually come over the top of you, they crash over the bottom landing, if a wave hits the end right then it crashes into the air and soaks you, and you do get the odd bit of swell comes through the boards. its not for the faint hearted though, it does take a lot of bottle to fish when the sea is really massive.

7. Baramundi Bob

I know youve come in for some criticism mate as quite a few people have told me whats been said. Very unfair really.

8. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

It's funny how no-one has said anything to to my face! Just sick of getting stabbed in the back by so called friends Glenn I'd rather those people not even talk to me if they're going to talk bad of me. What makes those people think they're so superior to everyone else?

9. Baramundi Bob

I wouldnt worry mate, I would always defend your right to make the choice to fish there, most people Ive spoken to have spoken quite badly of the person in question. Ive fished on there in far worse as has Lobbers who is a nutter and ties his self on the end howling and slavering like rabid wolf.

10. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

i've not seen the pier in really bad conditions but it has to be safer than the majority of rock marks that are fished from ledges not far above the water, you have railings around it for a start theres nothing to stop you being washed off a rock, some of the marks i fish in wales are very bad one rogue wave and your gone so you have an eye on the sea at all times, i used to fish a very small island that you only get on at low water then your there untill the next low, i fished that mark many times and did well for rays only ever fished it in flat calm on small tides, then i went to fish it in perfect conditions and found people on it already so had to fish a mark further along the coast, an hour before high there were lights all over boats and a helicopter it turned out a big wave had come over that island washed the three lads off it and they all drowned, never fished it again after seeing that.

unless the waves are washing right over the pier then surely its safe fishing ? trying to dodge the spray is all part of the fun of cod fishing you know your going to get a wave in the face at some time but does that ever stop you lol the gap between the levels has to be a good thing letting most of the force of the wave go through, i'd would be happy to fish on there in any sea that wasn't breaking over the top

11. Woodsmanuk

Woodsmanuk @woodsmanuk

I was on there not so long ago when it was banging into the end and sending water everywhere.

Bloody awesome, I love it.

A big part of fishing for me is experiencing the ELEMENTS in their full.

Simon

12. Baramundi Bob

It certainly is an amazing place to be in a big storm. I love it too.

13. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

oh dear rich u naughty boy,,lol,,lucky i was some were else or we both been called idiots,if they talking about u they leavin some 1 else alone,,
    we all know when its safe to fish in certain place and the pier is 1 when no were else is fishable,,
    the man with the camera got 5 mins of fame ,but not for catchin fish,but for stirring things up..
    oh and nice too see he got the pic with u getting a fish,so not a waste off time been on there,,
    its a perrrrfect picture,, :wink: :wink:

14. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nobody loves it more than me aaaaaaaaawowowooooooooooooooo

15. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rougher the better for me.everyone fishes at there own risk and there are a lot more marks
    that are a lot worse.I once went down river hole at bay and the serge was unreal.fished for a bit then saw a light start to go down landing I shouted to him but the serge got him and dragged him away,luckily he was ok.I would rather be down pier any day.I was down pier last year and bloke from harbour ofice came down and said i had to leave,it was low tide and a 4.3 tide on the flood and would never come over the top.Some people are never going to let us be.Most of us know when to be there and when to leave.They close the gate when flat some days.

16. Baramundi Bob

Neil, can you remember that day I fell in River hole and you fished me out. Think we had some nice fish too.

17. robq

robq Rockling

fuck em and ignore em :yes:

I reckon jealously plays a major part in those backstabbers whinges :whatever: :whatever:

18. Baramundi Bob

Rob you speak from experience having witnessed comments from the likes of Phil arnott over your extreme Bemmo antics. Nothing makes my blood boil more than these people who think they can tell you what you should and shouldnt do.

19. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I remember it well.all I could see was your ruksack went to fish it out and you were under it,was ship open i had over 2olb.Think you went to car to get warm you were a bit shook up and cold.Think you fell into the cut off.Good times though bud.

20. Baramundi Bob

Yes I paniced. I think we left it late to get off. I got a rush of blood and started rushing to get off. The current kncoked me off my feet and next thing I was bobbing about. It was snowing that day, You had some mops out of river hole and then we waded down sewer hole and got a few nice fish at low water. I was sat in your car in me boxers with heater on.