1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whitby west peir

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bibo, Aug 8, 2014.

1. bibo

bibo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Has anyone been fishing whitby west pier don't know whether to give it a go or not for some thing apart from mackerel on there. What do you think

2. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

We fished there last weekend; we had 5 nice sized coalies, whiting and quite a good size scorpion fish mostly all happened a couple of hours before low water

3. Willfreeman97

Willfreeman97 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Were there any mackerel about and did you just get the coalies on traces

4. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There were no mackerel, all fish were caught ledgering with fish and squid baits. We had a lot of fun, pretty busy though

5. Willfreeman97

Ok. The mackerel fishing seems pretty poor this year not as many showing up along the shores nor on the boats. I'm down Cornwall now in mevagissey and the last few evenings the conditions for mackerel have been excellent and no one has had a touch from mackerel out of about 20 anglers.

6. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I guess after the recent heavy rain there will be a lot of fresh muddy water running into the sea from the Esk. This I guess isn't always conducive to the best fishing for summer species, particularly mackerel which I gather this year hasn't even been a shadow on last year anyway. I was hoping to take my little boy to Whitby for a mackerel boat trip this summer, but I haven't really seen much evidence of the consistency of mackerel catches like last year posted on the forum. I took him on a mackerel boat trip out of Lymme Regis a couple of weeks ago and caught zilch!!! So i'm just wondering if its the same story in a lot of areas around the UK this year. I don't want to disappoint him again as he's only 6, so unless something happens later on in the month then I might just give it a miss for this year, which would be a real shame.
    Coincidently i've just looked at the Wheedale Hotel web cam which looks out towards the Whitby West and as I suspected the muddy slick from the Esk has turned the end of the pier into chocolate. :-(

7. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They were very thin on the ground to start with this year , they seem to be in numbers now though Paul , I was out on the boat last Thursday and they were knee deep at the bell boy on the 5 & 8 mile .

8. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Probably will start getting less and less due to all them big pelagic trawlers and purse netters hovering them up by the millions.

9. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Been down 2 times so far, when high water is at 02.00am.
    Not a take from anything, not even billets.

10. Willfreeman97

I jinxed my self toady though. I went down to mevagissey pier at about half 7 as the tide started to go out and everyone was catching, even little kids who were only casting a good few rod lengths out. There was thousands of sprats getting shoaled up by the mackerel just off the pier walls and all the little coalies and mackerel were jumping and splashing in the surface of the water. In the end I got 5 and a small pollack on a 15-30g spinning outfit.