1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well seeing as I had to pick up a rod from Rusty today I thought that I might as well take the yak and try some of the ground just off Saltwick whilst up that way.
    Newdave was getting itchy feet to be out again, (unfortunately Quint showed that he really is a lily livered wessy at heart not the adopted Scarbro lad he aspires....lol....so he stayed in bed !)
    The wind looked good light stherly forecast .....(whoever predicts for magisseaweed needs to find another job...they are wrong more than right !)
    Well despite the parking being a tad on the expensive side ,we got parked in the longstay behind the co-op, nice easy launch down the slipway about 30yds from the parking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Was a pleasant paddle out towards the harbour entrance....only thing bothering us was the amount of rather fast boat traffic and the confluence of tide and river flow....so following a little advice from bb we ducked behind the east pier and extension gap to paddle out without incident.
    What did surprise me was how shallow the water was infront of the east extension.We had to paddle best part of a mile before the depth dropped off from 12 ft to 30ft,, the scar goes out a long long way !
    [​IMG]
    Once the depth dropped a bit the ground was quite consistant so we looked for about 35-40ft of water and then began jigging.Dave opted for the muppet lead head approach whilst i went for the small 6oz pirk and hokai approach.
    [​IMG]
    At first the wind was fine just a bit of chop but the drifts were ok.
    Wasn't long though before the wind aginst tide began to be just a bit more rhan was comfortable and the fish dried up as the drifts became more difficult.
    [​IMG]
    This little fella kept me company all afternoon,everytime I paddle to re-set the drift he took off and landed next to me...awh bless...lol
    The weather turned against us in the end...you know that when the wind chop is washing over the sides of the yak that it is time to head for port.
    One thing that deffo became clear is that the newdave patent drogue is a must have for windy conditions !! (please ask Marion to knock me one up Dave ?)
    The paddle back in was quite amusing as all the comforts looked like they hadn't seen a yak before their expressions cried out "What are those daft barstweards doing?"
    [​IMG]
    Think Dave had a couople of fish dropping more than he got onboard...to be honest I dropped a few too why we both couldn t work out.I ended up with 8 fish nothing big up to about 4lb though.
    Nice couple of hours and found some ground worth a bit more time in better conditions.

Cheers Jellyworm.

Oh and the rod rusty brought up is superb....watch this space for the next worm rebuild. :happy:

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Nice report again Dave,you guys sure are keen as mustard... tight lines...PS: Get yourselves into Ramrods festival holes and clean out all the red uns :whistle: ..

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh don't you worry Mart spots are marked for the festival....also some recce planned for that festival yak match....Kim wants a kayak so got to fish hard that match !!!....lol

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

As usual Dave that is an excellent report with great pics, was there much in the way of fish about? Hope to be out at the weekend, hopefully msw haven't got it totally wrong (won't hold my breath though!). Reminds I need to do some recce trips for the match in Sept as well :wink:

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I had a bit of blind sess as my sounder decided to work loose so only had depth but no features showing.The fish seemed very tight as you'd get a couple then noothing and it was hard to set the drifts back up up in the wind so really not a good sess.
    The fish i got where all in the 3-4lb sample...mind you i lost one that bent the rod double so god only knows what that was....the best ones always get away...lol
    Made a nice change from Flambro...shame it is a 2 hour drive for me as the feeling that a biggie will come was better over the Whitby ground than it is over further south.

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Bit of a nightmare that Dave, gutting when you lose something that was obviously a good size :cry: no doubt you'll make up for it when it counts during the kayak match :wink:

7. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Guys looks good fun. I would be worried with the tides etc but you look in control. Looks a good idea to have someone with you just in case.
    Ps with the price of fuel think a few more people will be looking at kayaks.

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I have and will again go out on my own but always better in company......especially when you skin them on the fishing..lol , but one thing that we try to do is check a few of the forecasts and also usually listen to the coastguard weather warnings....they give you the heads up and one thing that does become very clear to you when you get into this yakking is that you can feel very vulnerable out there with just a paddle should the weather turn.We kept an eye on what was happening yesterday and stayed within easy reach of the shore and harbour,personally the sea state was at the top end of what I am comfortable fishing in.The yaks can take a hell of a lot of sea but sat side saddle with waves slapping over the sides and wind blowing you side ways onto the swells makes things less than comfortable to sit in and so that was why we headed in....always another day.We fished a fair way out yesterday over a mile at times but that was due to the surprisingly shallow depth in front of Saltwick.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Not sure if I would dare venture out on my own, but with so few Whitby kayakers at the moment I may have to. I hope a few more locals get into it soon.

Dave you say the weather concerned you yesterday but I understand someone has been onto the same mark tonight and there is a good bit of swell in the water, I hope they got back in safe.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It was ok to start with Glenn the swells aren t usually a problem but as the flood picked up it was wind against tide with a freshening easterly that put a right chop on the water.The swells you just ride up and over but the dirty chop is what causes the small yaks the problems.

11. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

is tht the magnetix 30 or yr rod jellyworm :hungry:

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

These 2 fish were caught of the same grounds as you fished yesterday

This one went 17 pounds and was caught 2 years ago.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/members-gallery/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=11

This one was 30 Pounds and taken from 500 yards from shore on sea otter 2.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/images/30-pound-uptider.jpg

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

No Brocky the 30 is all boxed up ready for you.I use 2 Okuma Magnetix 20cs's off the yak.

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

a quote from some film that the name of eludes me :laugh:

I THINK WE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT :laugh:

15. duddsy

duddsy Blenny

16. newdave

newdave Guest

obviously one for quint :laugh: