1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Piers Rock Armour Is A Non Starter Says Whitby Town Council

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 13, 2009.

?

What would you like to see at Whitby piers ?

1. Rock Armour Is Better Than Nothing I suppose.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Whitby Town Council Are Right. The Piers Should Be Fully Restored As They Were.

36 vote(s)
    94.7%
  3. Knock The Peers Down As Far As I care. They Are A Useless Fishing Mark.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Whitby Town Council Tells Scarborough That Rock Armour Repairs For The Towns Piers Are A Non Starter.

[​IMG]

Quotes are from this article on the Whitby gazette page. You can read the full article there.

[​IMG]

2. Baramundi Bob

As far as Im concerned the piers should be restored exactly as they always have been. If Scarborough Borough Council are to put rock armour around them they might as well knock them down. Rock armour will totally ruin the piers from an angling perspective.

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

At last some common sense, rather than the imbicleiles that are SBC.

4. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

:yes: would be great if they were both restored fully. The access to the east extension would be great :happy:

be a shame to loose 2 great fishing marks

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

They need restoring to former glory not destroying with rock armor.As Glenn says that option will destroy the piers as fishing platforms

6. Baramundi Bob

Keep your messages coming lads. I have emailed the town council and sent them our support. Ive pointed this topic out to them so if you want to send any messages of support to Whitby town council, then stick them here.

7. foo

WHITBY Town Council has told its Scarborough counterparts that rock armour is not an option to repair the crumbling piers.
    It fears the use of rock armour will detract from the appearance of the piers and urged that other methods be looked at.
    Absolutely spot on.........How many tourist does the piers attract over a summer season ? 0000,s' Imagine the appeal if the piers were restored to former glories,then try and imagine the appeal if murdered with rock armor.Its a no brainer this one and might even be a backdoor way of scarborough council trying to attract whitby tourism by making it a less appealling attraction

8. Baramundi Bob

They can try steal our tourists foo but it will never happen. Scarborough just doesn't have the same appeal :whistle:. Not since Jackonelli passed on anyway. :cheesy:

9. foo

:laugh: :laugh:

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Not only is this common sense by whitby council but on a safety point of view it is also a very good decision whitby harbour is a very busy port with a lot of private boats, yaughts , trawlers ,charterboats etc rock armour would be lethal round the peirs if for some reason a boat came close to the peirs any colision with the rock armour would certainly cause massive damage to any vessel where as with the peirs you would probably get just a bump i know of a few occasions in bad weather that trawlers had collided with the peirs and have more of less just bounced off they would proably would have been holed which could have had drastic conceqences and to cap it all fishing would be ruined from the extensions anglers come from all over the country to fish whitby once again scarborough council trying there upmost to drive people away from whitby.

paul.

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Verry good news glen keep the piers as they were, afterall they have stood up to some very serious storms ovaer the years,allso not being an (expert on the matter ),but wouldn't rock armour change the flow of the tide somewhat ,as paul says it is not the widest of port access,and any deviation could be catastrophic ,especialy for the charter fleet .I remember seeing a ship comeing in loaded with timber some years back ,and it only had about a yard either side of the pier's :surprise:

12. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

any aleration to the piers would wipe away the caracter of the port.they've stood the test of time and tide as they are so leave em be..as said,any work should be just restoration,nothing more.

13. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Well done Whitby Town Council. It is typical of any borough council to look at the cheapest option of doing anything outside their own town limits, if Whitby`s piers were outside Scarborough town hall the cheque would be open. Let`s hope they do the right thing. As far as Whitby goes, I`m just another tourist but if I`d only been to Whitby once, the picture in my mind would always be there, it would be shameful not to preserve that picture for future generations to enjoy.

Good luck.

14. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the piers are as much a part of this towns identity as the abbey/st marys church and the whalebones,
    restoration is the way forward not remodelling, they should be regarded the same as listed buildings (many of which enjoy protected status and are years younger than the piers)
    well done to Whitby town council for making their views clear
    but unless SBC go dramatically against the time hounored tradition of opposing and overruling our own town council then the cause is lost before its begun.
    we can but hope

15. Baramundi Bob

16. bucko

bucko New Member

I saw in the paper that some ****hole had set fire to one of the capstans on there too- lets hope they replace that as well.
    As far as I'm concerned the extension should been made accessible again as soon as possible.

17. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Well done Whitby Town Council. Would destroy two great marks. Just take a look at Scarboro' and the rocks they have used for sea defence.

18. Tight lines

Tight lines New Member

It's about time our council stood up to SBC, if they could build the piers with the means they had hundreds of years ago why can't they do the same, eg, replace the stones etc instead of the cheapest option of rock armour, there's enough money in the kitty to do the job properly!!.
    There is a local quarry that could cut and supply all the stone needed.

19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I dont think whitby council realise how important it is to uphold the traditional importance of whitby,dont they realise that thev'e got one of the best little fishing towns in brittain,i'ts a pretty unique place with all of its history,i'ts also important to the thousands people who travel to the town,i just wonder what would happen if blackpool tower started to corrode? bet your life there would be money flying in left right n centre,a bit of lottrey funding wouldn't go amiss not with some of the crap they spend it on,anyway i hope you get what you deserve. mick whitby fan :blindfold: :sad: