1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Piers Closure - When Is The New Bridge Coming ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by JG, Nov 13, 2011.

1. JG

JG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

When the west pier first closed in early September it seemed as though everyone in Whitby were getting together and putting up a united front to do something about it, including the Whitby Gazette. How quickly things change. The Facebook Save Whitby Piers page seems to be full of stuff that has nothing to do with the piers or even Whitby. The piers hardly get a mention these days in the Whitby Gazette. The town is heading for a long, cold winter. The economy of the town is based on visitors coming and spending money in the town. If they don't, it affects all of us. Even it you don't use the pier yourself, it's closure will affect you. How many of our local businesses will close down this winter? Will next summer see the opening of more charity shops in place of the shops the locals need? How many of your family and friends work in business that could close down? If visitors don't come to Whitby, they won't be using our cafe's and resturants, putting petrol in their cars while they are here, buying a newspaper, doing a bit of shopping. Local people will lose their jobs. The co-op redundancies is only the start of it. Will the visitors who have stopped coming, ever come back or will they have found somewhere else to go? Weeks ago we were fed the story that a temporary bridge would be put up, so we all sat back and shut up. Where is it? It would take a scaffolding company a couple of hours to put it up. A couple of hours that could save so many jobs and save our town. The weeks go by and it has become more and more forgotten. Well when we can't go and buy what we need in Whitby, when our children have to move away to get a job, when our facilities are not there anymore, who will we have to blame? Not SBC. Whitby will only have itself to blame for putting up and shutting up and not bothering anymore.

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Re: Whitby Pier Closure

So if the temporary bridge is put up then tourists will flock in saving Co-op, the paper shop and the petrol station? :confused: I imagine whitby like a lot of other seaside tourists towns makes the bulk of it's money during the warmer months so the extension being closed at the moment isn't going to make much difference (which is why SBC closed it when they did). If I remember rightly I heard the temp bridge is coming in Jan/Feb (may well be wrong there though)?

I don't fish off the piers but I do visit Whitby, 99% of the time when I do visit I don't walk on to the piers. Whitby has a lot to offer than two pier extenions! Now I'm not saying for one minute I'm not bother about them, I really don't want to see them go and it would be a great shame for Whitby but this thing that Whitby is doomed without the extensions being opened straight away sounds a little 'drama queen' doesn't it.

We've been told that the pier and bridge are to be repaired/replaced hence the lack of kicking and screaming, moaning on Facebook isn't going to speed things up. Just my opinion of course :happy:

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

When i hear the talk of scaffolding being put up to allow access to the Extension on the West Pier to the public i would think that in this day and age of health and safety any council would be at risk of being sued if a member of the public was involved in any accident over the winter.
    Rather than talk among ourselves on this forum and others i have found that if you persist with sending letters to Mps and managment you can keep things in the public eye.
    Maybe if anglers tell them about the problems that placeing another dam or weir across the River Esk will affect the envoironment around the Whitby Valley the council will think about spending money on the main tourist attraction that is slipping into the North Sea and fix the bits that have stood for many years and with a bit of work will still attract the Public to Whitby Town Harbour.

4. JG

In reply to Yakkin Sam, whilst Whitby sees the majority of visitors during the summer months, it is an all year destination especially for anglers. Winter cod fishing off the pier is very popular. Whilst the locals are used to climbing over rocks and down cliffs to do their fishing, visitors don't do this, they just want to go and fish off the pier and if the pier is shut, they go elsewhere. Whitby can't afford to lose these visitors. They bring essential trade to the town during the winter months when tourist numbers are down. Many local businesses depend on them. It doesn't make sense for the pier to be closed at all and is not necessary. If there had been any attempt by SBC in the last 10 years to provide any maintenance at all for the pier, this wouldn't have happened. Since it has now happened, the very least they could have done was put a temporary bridge in place straight away. It would have taken a local firm a couple of hours. It's all right for the public to use the gangways and gangplanks to the boats on the marina. They would never let them be out of of action, because that would hit their purse rather than the poor businesses in Whitby.

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Hasnt the West Pier been closed because their is no money to do any repair.
    From other pictures on this site the council are letting a lot of buildings fall into the Sea.
    Lets hope they are going to rebuild the extension for all to enjoy again.

6. JG

Hi
    No there is no shortage of money to spend on everything in Scarborough.
    SBC just don't like spending money in Whitby. Now that they have neglected the piers and provided no maintenance over the years, there is now a very expensive excercise to replace the bridge with a new one. They have agreed to do this, but it is going to take a long time. In the meantime they have agreed to provide a temporary fix (probably with scaffolding) to give access to the pier extension. However instead of getting on with it so that local businesses survive this winter, they are dragging their heels.

7. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

JG, As I don't know you from Adam I have to ask, do you have any experience of dealing with councils when trying to get a public project financed, approved, H&S, Risk assessments done, possible planning etc? I have plenty and know even temporary propositions do not happen overnight. It takes ages to get the councils to sort stuff like this out as it goes through numerous departments which don't really talk to each other. Most councils operate at a snails pace at the best of times.

The units we put up on schools can and have taken years in the past to get approval with detailed plans, drawings, risk assements all being scrutinesed down to the last full stop. As you think something is about to go ahead one department will throw a spanner in the works by pulling something up which they think could be an issue.

Do you honestly think SBC will just throw a scaffold bridge up without making everyone that is involved jump through hoops? This is a bridge over deep water which is going to get wet and possibly slippy. It will need proper bracing to be able to withstand the weather/sea etc. It's not going to happen instantly. I also doubt a few fishermen wanting to fish on it and going elsewhere will affect how quickly they put the paperwork through. Safety first with any council is the way they work. We hear far too often of people claiming for tripping over a slightly raised kerb, pothole etc. With that in mind, Do you honestly think they will rush a raised bridge over water just so we can fish? I don't. I also wouldn't fancy crossing a rushed scaff bridge which ended up being unsafe.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Interesting quote from Councilor Graham

You can read the full letter on the west pier facebook page :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whitby-West-Pier/201260026614389

And the reply from Scarborough borough council

9. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

I hear that Whitby Angling Supplies are closing the shop down pier road. Any news on this

10. JG

In reply to Mr Lee, SBC have had all the time in the world to plan, scope, budget etc. They knew years ago what the state of that bridge was and they knew months and months ago that they were going to close it at the end of the school holidays. So they should have had the temporary bridge planned and ready to go in on the day that they closed the original bridge.

11. mr lee

In theory yes they should/could have done. Remeber though, this is a council we are talking about. Nothing moves quickly and asking them or expecting them to do something in advance of a potential problem is almost never heard of as it just doesn't happen.

Councils are probably the worst at pre planning something properly. Too many chiefs all wanting an input. We work with numerous councils and I can't honestly think of one occasion where a council has been on time/on the ball or even on budget. They truly are useless at what they are supposed to do. We took off our rose tinted glasses with regards an effecient council many years ago sadly. I don't mean that as an insult to you or anybody but until you have a lot of experience of working with them you truly wouldn't believe how dire the vast majority are at sorting something out.

I'm certainly not holding my breath this bridge will be done mid november.

12. cps

cps Rockling

tenders have to be in by the 2nd of december , i havent read all the documents yet to see when they want the job doing as i dont think i will have time to spair to work on the quote think the heath and safty bs will be a nightmare to manage on it to

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Scarborough council don't like spending money in Scarborough, its not just whitby they don't give a monkeys about. Look at Scarborough mere, if It was not for the angling club there It would be a shit hole. It used to busy all year round down there with people enjoying the beautiful place it Is. Also look at the sea front at Scarborough you can tell which buildings are owned by the council there falling down.

So don't just think its whitby that gets shit on by sbc.

14. JG

Just because councils are not good at planning, that doesn't make it okay. It's our money they waste, it's our jobs that get lost due their bad planning and bad practices. And if we just sit back and say well that's councils for you, then they will never get good at it. They should be made to be accountable for their bad practices. They've still got their jobs haven't they?
    As for SBC not spending money in Scarborough, I think we all name a few multi-million pound spending sprees in Scarborough, whilst Whitby doen't even get their street lights fixed.

15. Baramundi Bob

HI JG. Please have a read of our Real Whitby site. One of the main aims of the site is to keep a close eye on sbc and ensure they get away with as little as possible. I guess its Jackie that im talking too ??

In whitby, many of us have a long standing untrust of sbc. Many of us believe they dont act in the best interests of our town . Real Whitby ensures that their shortcomings are highlighted, and with the help of google these are documented and available for all to read. So please get involved and dont sissapear once the bridge to the pier is back in place.

Best wishes - Glenn

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/category/politics/

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Oh yes I forgot how perfect Scarborough is. Pmsl. They spend millions on things in Scarborough, yes and it has been a waste of money. But not the things thats needed like roads been sorted, cleaning drains out to prevent flooding. And the street lighting Is the same in scarborough, people moan about It well Rodgering ring up like u have to and report It to the council giving the number of the lamp post and what street Its on.

Cos how do they know its not working if no one reports It??? Or should they have some person driving round all areas at night looking for the broken lights? Oh that would be a good waste of money.

I don't like Scarborough council like most people, have you ever driven round Scarborough or just where the tourists go? There's a big difference.

17. JG

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mid November. Isn't that today?

18. Baramundi Bob

Yep, but now they have stopped answering emails which is a general sbc policy when they have ballsed up. Councilor Graham is like a dog with a bone though, he wont let it go.

19. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

If you keep on at them and making the look stupid they will do something...one day. I hope they do get there fingers out and sort it cos I use to go as kid and want to take my little un down to the end.

Something I always remember is standing up at the whale bones and been on the pier when we were on hoilday. We use to stay at rhb at my great grans and go to whitby for the day. Good times. Not a care in the world but when can we go to the beach. Lol.

20. mr lee

You really do need to take your rose tinted glasses of JG i'm afraid. Just because they should work a certain way doesn't mean they will sadly. Yes they should be accountable for their short comings and failures. I would suggest if you feel so strongly about how a council should run then maybe put your name down for the next local elections and see what difference you can make. Keep speaking/Emailing the relevant head of service, listing SBC's failings on Real Whitby which may have been missed as the more info on a failed council a group have then the bigger chance you have of making a difference to who is in power at the next elections.