1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Piers At Risk Of Collapse - Concerns Around Restoration Funding Expressed

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Following on from the failure of both bridges on the piers in recent years, and of course the closure of both lighthouses to the public. There are now renewed concerns about the state of Both Whitby Piers, which some people fear could collapse into the sea in the not too distant future.

Please can all members share the link below with family and friends, via email, on your facebook and social media pages etc. The more people who see this the better.

If you copy the link below into your Facebook status and then press post it will highlight this issue to all your friends.

Thanks in advance - Glenn

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-piers-restoration-funding-shortfall

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when will it be that there is very little to attract the the tourist to whitby.
    If there is no piers equals no safe harbour , less boats, more flooding equals less business cos' of higher insurance costs.
    You may as well go to Scarborough, they have piers, .............. OH wait..........which council decides to FIX the piers???? sorry.... I mean repair the piers or will it be pier, singular if the east extension crumbles before it can be fixed.

just my view :(

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Looks like SBC are gonna hold back until the money gets withdrawn. That's a banker. Without something like a lottery grant the rest of the money will never be met. SBC will hold out on this no probs and the money being showed will be removed. That will be a disaster for Whitby piers end of

4. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Then SBC can say they 'tried' to save them then blame someone else. I used to love fishing the east pier extension. :mad:

5. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Sounds like another of modern gov depts deciding they know better than the people who constructed things in the past. Structures like the piers were made with a lot of graft and hard work by masses of people working mostly by hand. I can not imagine they did these massive feats of engineering just for a laugh, they obviously felt very strongly that there was a definate need for them. And yet now they are deemed not that important and maybe we wont bother to look after them.
    Just typical of the apothetical views of todays society.

6. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Just a thought Glenn, has anybody tried to get listed building status for the piers? Then the council will have to maintain them.
    Cheers Col.

7. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

SBC seem to be trying to destroy the whole area. That Golden Goose story always comes to mind when I dig in my pockets for five, or more, £1 coins.
    Those piers are another goose. They might not be murdering it, but they are allowing it to die. Same thing.
    Sad really.