1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby pier Sunday night.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bobthedog, Jul 23, 2018.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I had a couple of hours on the lower deck of the pier last night, the end was taken up with the tinsel tossers and a couple of kids crabbing forcing me further along the side facing Sandsend. I was trying to increase my spieces tally by catching a flounder and weaver. Unfortunately I didn't succeed with my target but I did manage a sea scorpion, 2 coalies, over a dozen dabs and 5 mackerel (2 dropped of as I handlined them up). I didn't think it was a bad tally for 2 hours fishing. For bait I had frozen mussel and frozen salted mackerel strip, only had crabs on the mussel but the fish loved the mackerel. Because of all the crabs at this time of year I fish a slow retrieve to keep them off. I didn't expect any mackerel as I fished from bottom tide up but they took the slow retrieved strip. I had the tinsel tossers scratching their heads as I had 3 mackerel on the deck and they had none with their spinners & tinsel.
    I cut my mackerel into strips for tipping off for whiting in the winter then give it a good salting before freezing. This draws the moisture out of the fish toughening it up, but it does mean that you have juice in the bag and it won't freeze solid if you put enough salt on it. This doesn't effect it, if anything I find it makes it more attractive to the fish.
    My spieces tally to date is 25, the details and pics ore on the WSF site under spieces hunt 2018.

2. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done you a cracking couple of hours and good info to boot
    well done nice to see a shore post

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

A nice little sesh by the sounds of it. Glad you enjoyed it.