1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Harbour Board - Lies Lies Lies

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

For those of you not familiar with the Whitby Harbour Board, they are a body formed by Scarborough Borough Council and they have been given control of the harbour at Whitby.

As far as I am aware, the group is made up of local individuals with an interest (and some times an unhealthy business interest) in the running and upkeep of the harbour. These local individuals are unelected members of the local community selected by Scarborough Borough Council.

At regular intervals the Harbour Board hold meetings where those present decide on things such as the replacement of the west pier footbridge. The harbour board has always portrayed itself as an open group and keen to represent the local community. Yet from my observations of the group so far, nothing could be further from the truth.

The following is just one example of the cloak and dagger methods utilised by the board and sheer arrogant disrespect that the board has for members of the Whitby Community.

Earlier this autumn, members of the Whitby Town Council decided to attend the latest Harbour Board meeting. Three individual councilors decided to attend. Two of them were Councilor Ken Graham and Councilor Ian Havelock both of whom have an interest in the local harbour.

For some unknown reason, the harbour board decided to throw the Whitby Town Councillors out of the meeting as they "were not invited". So much for transparency !!!

What followed, beggers belief, A member of the Harbour Board (Unelected) Mr Edwin Black decides to write to Whitby Town Council to complain that its councilors had been rude and aggressive and had to be thrown out of the meeting. You can read about it here..

The Whitby Town Councilors deny ever being rude or threatening at the meeting and seek an apology. After several meetings the Harbour board finally admits that Mr Edwin Black made the whole thing up.

Scarborough Council Also made it publicly known that Mr Edwin Black had no authority to send out such letters on Scarborough Borough Council Headed Letters. Mr Black then apologizes for his behavior and requests the issue is forgot so that everyone can move on.

So, in summary, Whitby Harbour Board is unelected, They are in a powerful position. They decide on how the harbour budget should be spent. For example the new west pier bridge. Some of the members of the board have businesses based in and around the harbour (a massive conflict of interests in my book). Members of the board, are by their own admittance, nothing short of deceitful liers, who will take to underhand stunts like this to keep Real Whitby people out of the loop. They also seem to be totally unaccountable for such terrible behaviour.

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/tag/whitby-harbour-board/

2. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What chance have you got to put across any constructive points/critisism to help the issues at hand ?

I noticed the article on tv ,about the demise of the area around the Spa at Scboro & the proposed action plan for sea defence.

Surely Whitby has the same historic /tourism factor to receive the same funding etc,or has all euro/heritage grants been claimed
    for Whitby by SBC, & used for the Scboro area?

Is there a freedom of information site for all grants claimed,where spent etc to make a comparison of total funding per head etc
    for Whitby v Scboro to see if Whitby tax payers get an even deal?

3. Baramundi Bob

In this instance were not fussed about Scarborough, we simply want the right to attend meetings where decisions are made about the town. Also members of any committee who are proven to have lied about an event that never happened should really be accountable. Holding your hands up and saying sorry, I made it all up, simply is not good enough. He should resign or the board should throw him off. If hes prepared to lie about what happened in a meeting, who knows what he is capable of. Can you have such a person making decisions on how hundreds of thousands of pounds are spent ? I think not.

4. longcast22

longcast22 New Member

I find it incredable that a member of a commitee elected or not should be allowed to continue in the post after such a dispicable wrongdoing, resign now ,how can you face fellow members and the locals.

5. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Surely Edwin Black should be booted off the Harbour board for his despicable act?.

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Can not the people who GAVE these jobs to the people concerned,
    all so take them away from them,

Allso are these jobs salleried , :suspious: it seems to me that the people of whitby and scarbrough should be told the full facts ,

and then decide at the balot box. if i were standing for the council i woulsd make sure the people get to know about the under handed stunts some of them get up to :angry:

7. deecee

deecee Blenny

Power without accountability ! Words fail me .

8. Baramundi Bob

No the positions are not salaried. But the benefits are clear. If you run a business that makes money from the harbour (as some harbour board members do) then this is a clear conflict of interests when you are making decisions on how money is spent within the harbour.

Harry, Scarborough Council could boot edwin black off the harbour baord. He made up a set of lies about a fictional event at a harbour board meeting. He then used council headed paper to spread his lies, thus attempting to potray he had the backing of the council in his false accusations. However it would appear that Scarborough Borough Council think that all you have to do is make a public apology, admit you made it all up and then carry on as if nothing happened.

9. Baramundi Bob

10. incognito

incognito Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There's a way of dealing with folks like that - it involves a dark alley, a couple of big lads and about 150 crab pots - situation sorted !

11. jonwhitton

jonwhitton Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good morning Glen
    A few facts,
    1 The harbour board consists of 5 elected Scarborough councillors,
    Cllr. Mike Cockerill (Chairman and cabinet portfolio holder for harbours.)
    Cllr. John Flinton
    Cllr. Herbert Tindall
    Cllr. Sandra Turner
    Cllr. Dorothy Clegg (substitute)

There were 4 independent appointees who were supposed to bring an element of business expertise to harbour management. As far as I am aware none of them have any business association with the harbour and none have ever declared a pecuniary interest at any meetings other than Tony Hornigold who owns a private boat moored in the harbour and has left the meeting on several occasions when fees and charges have been discussed.
    The other independent members are, Laurie Farmer, Edwin Black and John Hardisty.
    The meetings are held in public at Sneaton Castle and I have attended 2 as a member of the public.
    The meeting where the town councillors were asked to leave by Brian Bennett, SBC council officer in charge of tourism and harbours was a meeting between the harbour customers, people who pay to use the harbour such as the charter skippers, fish merchants, fishermen and private boat owners and the harbour management consisting of council officers and representatives from the harbour board. In recent years the town council has also been invited to provide one rep. at these meetings not 3!
    At the last meeting the harbour users insisted that future meetings would not be open to public observers and as paying customers that is their prerogative however in the interest of transparency all minutes are published at www.scarborough.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=12997

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Interesting read them minutes of the meetings. Notice the east pier is all finished according to the minutes shame they forgot to mention any bridge to join the main pier to the extensions.

I hope they don't pass the parking fees for berth holders as I think they get enough money out of me the robing sods.

13. kayos

kayos Guest

Why is it all councillors from Scarborough??

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

because scarborough borough council is the council whitby falls under

15. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How many of those councillors named above are Scarborough residents and how many are Whitby residents

16. Baramundi Bob

Jon is it not the case that members of the harbour board have a vested interest in the fishing school, which in tern has a vested interest in windfarm industry training. Secondly, no meeting should be behind closed doors, be that Harbour board or any steering sub committees, or anything remotely connected to the harbour board no matter how loosely connected. How you can come on here and try defend these people who seek to hold any meetings in private is beyond me John. As a Whitby resident you should be keen to get the likes of Ken Graham and Ian Havelock into every meeting, you should be really ashamed of your actions and you should have walked out. I thought you were a better man than that.

Finally, and most significantly, you have completely failed to address the main issue of this topic, that being that a member of the harbour board, or several members of the harbour board fabricated a series of events that never even took place. They then showed their true arrogance and desire for power by using SBC headed paper to spread their lies and try to discredit elected members of the town council. What do you have to say on this issue John ? Surely your not going to defend them aswell simply because they allow you to chair their meetings ??

17. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would have thought that in the interests of transparency that the no.1 priority would be to hold all your meetings in public with the open invitation to all members of the public to attend

Thats the one and only way to be seen to be conducting business affairs, especially with public monies involved,if you want to be judged as being all above board, anything less and it implies that theres something to hide

18. Baramundi Bob

There so obviously is something to hide. The board is as bent as a nine bob note, including Jon Whitton.

19. jonwhitton

jonwhitton Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glen,
    It is not the harbour board that are insisting on holding meetings in private, all their meetings can be observed by the public and there is even the opportunity for members of the public to speak. The people insisting on holding private meetings with the board are the fishermen, passenger vessel operators, private boat owners and fish buyers. They have no powers to spend any public money and the main purpose of the meetings from the users point of view is to obtain value for the very significant amount the users contribute to the cost of running the harbour.
    The other purpose of the meetings from a borough council perspective is so that in the event of any criticism they can say that they have and continue to routinely consult the 'stakeholders'.
    Finally I have just been informed that Scarborough council cabinet have approved the introduction of car parking charges for whitby harbour users, little surprise as the cabinet consists entirely of councillors from the Scarborough area with the exception of Jane Kenyon and users of Scarborough harbour already pay parking charges.
    It is anticipated that the 21day notice period for objections will be extended until 18th. Jan. because of Christmas but we will find out when the notices are published.
    SBC. cabinet members are as follows, please make sure any objections are copied to the entire cabinet and your local councillor if you live in the Borough.
    Tom Fox (Chairman)
    Andrew Backhouse
    Derek Bastiman
    William Chatt
    David Jeffels
    Jane Kenyon
    Penny Marsden
    Brian Simpson
    Mike Cockerill (Portfolio holder for harbours.)
    All contact details are on the SBC web site.

20. Baramundi Bob

My earlier comments stand and are backed up here :

And Here

And Here

And here

And for the final time John Why do you keep dodging this question ? Does it make you feel uncomfortable knowing your in it upto your neck with this bunch of cronies ?. Members of the harbor board fabricated a series of events, they then used Scarborough Borough Council headed paper to spread their lies. Why are you still sitting on a committee that is so obviously corrupt and do you think a simple "sorry" is sufficient ??