1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Halibut Fishing - Trot On Charters, Paul Eddon

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A few pictures from Paul who skippers trot on. Its another Halibut caught last summer. Its a bit further out than John Whittons but on one of the pics its possible to see land in the background, so maybe its do-able for the more intrepid kayaker's out there, or with the aid of a safety boat.

For more topics about this boat - click here.

Thanks Paul for sending the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

great fish that, some ince ling in the fishbox aswell.
    Id love to catch a halibit.

3. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

Wouldnt mind a go at some of them meself. What bait do yous get them on.

4. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

These seem to do the biz in Norway,they might be worth a go here too :wink: :wink: http://www.seawaver.com/english/html/halibut_2008.html Do any of the Whitby skippers intend having a serious try for these "flounders on steroids" I am sure I read a post on here that someone was.Note the fenders etc on the surface,these are attached to the fish each time it surfaces in an attempt to slow it down as it dives back down during the fight.You can see the various bits of tackle and video footage by clicking on seawaver lures in the blue box at the top of the page.

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

:scared: That's one hell of a fish!

6. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Notice how they harpoon the fish before bringing it to the boat - that is so it doesn't smash the boat up thrashing about. Halibut are immensly powerful more powerful than a shark.

Makes me think, if theyare off the coast of Yorkshire.....they must be further north too, say Northumberland, and Scotland...so I wonder if it is worth prospecting some likely ground on the Scottish west coast as well? Just musing out loud!

7. Baramundi Bob

I watched a program made in Canada. The skipper there carried a 12 bore shot gun and blasted them before he boated the fish. They were well into the hundreds of pounds though and very big powerful fish.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

I can remember paul young fishing for them over in canada a few years ago , There one powerful fish them like ......I bet these pics are the fish a lad was talking to me about yesterday , he said a lad called paul had a few halibuts last year .....along with them ones john had , seems there is probably more about than we think......maybe we need to de mist our goggles abit along this coast

9. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

We will be up for it Andy and I was discussing it with Mike only yesterday. It may be possible by using 'angels' (note plural) :surprise: to drop baits into the sand scour on some wrecks and target these fish. It was yourself who put me onto this of course. I think we should put our heads together and Mike is already studying suitable locations. It would take some serious gear to drag a big halibut buried in sand up from 200+ft though. Any thoughts?

Alan

10. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

I would defo be up for "something a bit different",I am certain that anchoring over a wreck will open a whole load of new prospects for different fish to be caught.As you have previously said conger,ling,turbot as well as the usual suspects should be there its probably a case of persevering and eventually you would reap the rewards.

11. Baramundi Bob

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

How far off is that glen ? seems to me there is the odd ones about , but you would think more would be turning up , are they picking these fish up when going for cod ? and is there a special way to target them specifically ?

13. Baramundi Bob

Its surprising to see them as the Whitby charters will be fishing the rough ground for cod with cod tactics. I do wonder what the outcome would be if you targeted them over the soft ground with fish baits. Noone has ever really persevered with the soft ground fishing in this area so who knows whats down there.

14. newdave

newdave Guest

Great fish, imagine if Ken had caught that we would have a claim for a new british plaice record :laugh: :laugh:

15. thebigman

thebigman New Member

I know that most of the Norway fish and those that used to be targeted up here in the far north tended to come from rough ground rather than the soft.

16. Baramundi Bob

Hi Bigman, thats interesting. Maybe they live in both areas. My neighbour works a trawler and they often target soft ground and he says they get halibut in the trawl quite regular. Would be lovely to get one of these beasts on a kayak. You wouldnt want a big one though.

17. Im Cartacus

Im Cartacus Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a quick question for all the yakkers out there.
    Having never been on a kayak (unless the canoes up the top of Whitby West cliff thirtyfive years ago counts) I was wondering how you guys manage to pull out of a hard snag if you're fishing over a wreck. I'm convinced I would just pull myself in. :embarrass: Are these things more stable than I'm thinking or is it a case of being prepared to sacrifice a lot of line when things go wrong?

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sounds like your thinking of getting a one im cartacus....

19. Im Cartacus

Im Cartacus Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can you put a little outboard on them Dav? :happy:

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

hahah , i recomend upping ure dumbells to 20 kg each and by the third week im sure youl out run a 2 hp ...hahah