1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Fishing Trips - Should Long Trips Stop ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It appears the long fishing trips from Whitby are upsetting some anglers in the south.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=1122828&view=findpost&p=2148543

Should the long fishing trips be brought to an end ?

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

Isnt it just like taking two parties out over two days , ? except one angler gets the fish 2 could of had over the same scale ....personally unless it was gona get sold ide be buggered if i had 20 cod over 10lb .....ide end up having to hang em off me washing line and dry them out like the japs do .....

3. CBass

CBass New Member

FFS, This is a guy who openly admits that he took 140lb of fillets on a trip but that was a bad thing so he won't do it any more.

I have been on a long trip out of Whitby and as lucky enough to get a load of fillets. So what, I paid for the trip, none of went to waste and all of my mates got a load of free cod, I had a great time.

That was in September, I have none left now. I live an hour from the sea nowadays, and I don't get out very often, how is me getting out a few times a year and taking a good few fish any different from someone who lives on the coast and takes 2 or three home every week. How is a long trip even any different from a load of short ones by the same boat. I wish these meddling losers would just f*** off and find something else to regulate. :angry:

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Well said - as long as the fish isn't going to waste and you're having a great time catching it what's the problem?! :happy:

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:yes:

6. krysb

krysb Blenny

its the same shi#e stirrers from the sarf coast who seem to be sticking their noses into absolutley everything that does not concern em
    look at what forums you wish and you will see H.A + snakefish ( one of the same ) ( apparantly a well respected angling journalist ) and still touting their c+r wares, along with the need for legislation for charter boat owners to regulated, and boat anglers to be limited.
    He and another who shall remain nameless ( but we all know who he is ) are both a pair of full blown WANK##S who should FU#K OFF and keep their noses out of eveyones

rant over

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Got to agree 100% just what is the difference, especially when actual fishing times are compared. Southern opinions should stay just that and stop meddling in our business.

8. CBass

CBass New Member

Say what you feel like Krysb

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just to add a bit of balance, i went out in December uptiding, I got a blegg and a cod of about 6oz, the skipper gave me a fish so I had something for tea, the cat got the Blegg.

If I thought for one minute that bag limits would mean that I never blanked and my paid for fishing time, diesel, bait, lures & parking wasn't going to be wasted then maybe I might think differently about them. Instead I see the commercial cod quota upped 30% and read some w**ker on an internet forum trying to make out that my freezer full of fillets once a year is the reason there are no fish in the sea.

If I did it for money, or even just for food I would be broke and hungry.

9. Acko

Acko Rockling

Long trips are Perfect for people who can only go fishing maybe once a year I live on the coast and Im lucky I can go regularly
    Some people arent as fortunate they have commitments and probably live away from the coast
    Its ideal for them to have a week in whitby or where ever Take a long fishing trip and Stock up with fish for their tables
    They Pay good money to do so
    Anyone that criticises them should f**k off and Get a Life
    Acko

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Who was that who called you a cheeky sod :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO after all he didn't have to keep going down for more :baby:

11. bucko

bucko New Member

An outrageous suggestion, born out of envy perhaps?
    Aiming to get out a few times this year and if I can get enough fillet to last myself and the missus a while then where is the harm?
    Another reason I don't like it is that its like saying to anglers "Put your hands up and take part of the blame for over-fishing and the massive waste created by todays consumer led, "Right here, right now and packaged nicely" market". Which is both unbalanced and unfair.

12. Deepseacodmaster

Deepseacodmaster Whitby Fishing _ Simply The Best

First it only seems to be only two southern idiots who are supporting a catch limit.
    Secondly, most of the Southerners I have fished with have the same sensible attitude as we have.
    Thirdly I go on three 94 hr trips a year on the Chieftain, I return all cod under 5lb. the rest is filleted and goes to the old age pensioners in Old Glossop. So what if I get paid for them sometimes in the form of a pint, a rabbit, a brace of woodies, a brace of pheasants and home grown vegies etc. I enjoy my 5 days at sea.
    Fourthly this year I am going to be fishing wrecks 50 to 60 miles out from Whitby on the "Wildcard" on day trips.
    With these "long trips" I know I am often fishing "virgin Wrecks" and therefore have a chance of a fish of a lifetime in the form of a cod, ling and hopefully this year a northern conga.
    Lets hope our EU masters see sense and leave us alone to enjoy the fruits of our sport.

13. Baramundi Bob

14. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

the reason long trips are available is that there is a market for them.supply and demand.whats the point of someone travelling 3 to 4 hours by car to have a trip on a boat that only last's an hour or two,then travel all the way back home.

15. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

The north being ruled by the south AGAIN! As long as people return undersize fish and eat what they take home, where is the problem? Yes sometimes the "flotation suit and trainers" gang just butcher fish for the hell of it (hopefullt it is ignorance). However, the considerate angler realises (that is most of the people on this forum) that if the junevile fish aren't returned, it will be the death knell for all of fishing. Once the bell has been rung, it can't be unrung!

16. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

It's dissapointing when anglers receive criticism from other anglers, whereas I can expect it from conservationists. His argument can be torn up for arse paper and has been. The antis are gathering enough momentum without us giving them ammunition.

It's a changing world though. In the first video I shot there was a scene where a ling came to the top with it's swim bladder protruding from it's mouth so I edited it out for fear of giving the antis a stick with which to beat us with. I won't be showing boxes of fish or fish with blood on them for the same reason. The things you've gotta do nowadays to keep the peace.

Alan

17. Baramundi Bob

Why should we change our behaviours Alan ? If you do change then aren't you just suggesting the person was right ?

We catch fish, we hook them through the mouth often with other live animals such as worms and crabs that we have taken from their homes. We store our catches in fish boxes. The fish often bleed.

Why should we have to lie ?

18. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

I havent changed my behaviour Glenn, I just don't publicise what we do. We still kill and gut fish alright, I just don't show it.

This picture appeared recently with a story that dogs were being used for shark bait. The picture is obviously fake;
    [​IMG]
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sharkbait.asp

We have got a situation now where seemingly sensible people are signing a petition to 'stop this barbaric act.'

Alan

19. 105

105 New Member

how fu;;;;;nk daft is that

20. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

I would gladly donate all my leads to this guy if it keeps him on the sea bed. Can`t imagine he`s got many friends to go fishing with anyway, no wonder he doesn`t boat fish anymore.