1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Fishing Tackle Shops - Another Tackle Shop In Whitby

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by barrymac, May 10, 2013.

1. wijonty

wijonty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Another Tackle Shop In Whitby

they are open at 6 am and a free brew cheers mal

2. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Have you tried Malc Pitman's shop????? I guess not.................
    (For those of you who don't know him, Malc Pitman is/Was the Skipper of the charter boat Sea Spray)

If the following quote from Glenn is true
    "Its not just that i support Whitby Angling Supplies, I also want our site users to get the best deal for their money.

Then surely the price match offered by Malc says it all.

I believe the prices have fallen in Whitby Angling Supplies due to this competition from Whitby Sea Angling (Due to the similarity in name, Location of both shops, I would guess there are some local politics involved here )
    Squid is certainly cheaper now than it was 2-3 years ago

The "Other" shop may not carry as much stock but anything you want WILL be ordered in for you. OK not ideal if you want to look, Try the feel of new gear. But if this shop keeps the prices down for us anglers through healthy competition then I am all for it. + the free cup of tea goes down well after the 90 mile drive to get to Whitby :yes: :yes:

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

:wink:

I lioke the look of those silver and red head bass lure,s Glenn,
    looks like you meen buisness on those bass this season,

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

The prices havent fallen because of the competition karl, its the trade prices on some items such as squid that have fallen which allows us to drop the price.

the pure fishing brand which owns penn, shakespeare, berkley etc have also dropped the trade prices which have allowed us to offer great value on some of the premium brands for example the most expensive penn boat rod for 2013 is only £64.99 and 300yds of berkley fireline tournament braid at £19.99.

Guaranteeing a price match is a very dangerous game to be playing aswell. for example if one shop is offering a rod at a certain price thats been in stock for over a year and another supplier has just taken that rod into stock i can be certain that the rod will have cost the new supplier more than the guy whos had it in stock for a while.

We will & do price match if its possible to do so.

also we pride ourselves on offering such a wide variety of products from all of the big names in the tackle world to give the customer the very best choices we can, which in itself is a huge investment every year.

one thing about our shop is that we have first hand experience in using alot of the products we sell and are able to give the best advise for the local area.

We also run very closely with all of the charter skippers in the association and get day to day feedback on the fishing, whether its the lures that are catching, the conditions to let the anglers know about, baits to use etc

Those customers who use our shop alot will have noticed the vast array of tackle which has been coming in over the past few months. i think we are one of the biggest suppliers of lures in the north east atm.

offering free drinks on a morning is something we would never consider doing as there are two well established cafes in the town which rely on the angling trade that comes there way on a morning. They also contribute to the sponsorship of the WCSA angling festivals every year. And to be fair 80p isnt really alot for a coffee on a morning.

6. martin

martin New Member

Think again don't knock it if you ain't tried it
    Glen knocked Boyes for selling cheap stuff WAS also sell Fladon gear the other shops don't
    Malc refuses to stock for that reason

7. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'll be the first admit I have not tried any other shops in Whitby, only went to WAS yesterday for the first time.

For me personally it's about the service you get, the prices are important but secondary, if I wanted dirt cheap then I would go online or to Boyes (I have no idea if WAS are competitive, although most people say they are!).

The reason I went to WAS/Dan? A personal recommendation. The reason I'll go back? The welcome I got and the service I received. None of that says the other shops are poor, just that I ended up at WAS!

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thats not quite true Martin, go back and read my earlier post. I wasnt knocking them for being cheap and I also recognised the fact other shops stock the fladen range, weve caught plenty on it. Some of their plugs are killers for bass, even the cheap ones for a couple of quid. My point about Boyes is that if you shop there you may contribute to putting the other out of business, and then you wont have a tackle shop to get sound advice from. Just simply a large retail store where the girl behind the counter is thinking more about what shes doing for her husbands tea than what rigs you need for pollack off the pier.

Basically I think anyone shopping in Boyes in Whitby rather than the other 2 shops is a tight bugger. The most your going to save on anything is a few pennies.

With regards to Whitby Angling Supplies, they support our site, we support them, Dan is a close friend, not just to me but to every charter skipper on the pontoon. We all work hard together to promote fishing in the town. We photograph the catches and write reports for our readers, we share what we know and we aim to help readers and all people who come to Whitby to catch fish. The knowledge between us all wont be beaten. Whitby Sea Anglers, Whitby Angling Supplies and WCSA, Singing Kettle, Arbutts, Were all one big teem working together for you all.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

With regards to Whitby Angling Supplies, they support our site, we support them, Dan is a close friend, not just to me but to every charter skipper on the pontoon. We all work hard together to promote fishing in the town. We photograph the catches and write reports for our readers, we share what we know and we aim to help readers and all people who come to Whitby to catch fish. The knowledge between us all wont be beaten. Whitby Sea Anglers, Whitby Angling Supplies and WCSA, Singing Kettle, Arbutts, Were all one big teem working together for you all.

That really sums it up perfectly :happy:

10. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=613

11. Baramundi Bob

Get Dan to sort you out with a Plaice rig

[​IMG]

12. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

my appolgies then i thought i was reffering to boyes which i was told opens at 9 am

13. cps

cps Rockling

so you like red head crystal minnows then

14. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Blimey, if you get a cup of coffee then that's me sorted.

It's a myth that loads of competition is good for customers. I'd suggest that our experience of train travel and electricity supply doesn't really bear that out.

Excessive competition just causes pressure and ultimately, everyone suffers. Yes, a bit of competition keeps retailers "honest", but when they're already honest to start with, it achieves nothing but dilution and the very last thing Whitby needs is three or even four tackle shops.

After all, who needs brillant, expert and generous advice, championing local business and the skippers, reliability, support, friendship, great gear and the warmest welcome in Whitby when you can get a cup of Nescafe and save, potentially, as much as 5p or even 10p?

Dan and WAS deserve our support and loyalty because, frankly, that's what we get from them.

So there.

Miff

15. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

glenn
    the girl in boyes is doing her husband cod and chips for tea :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:: ha ha ha

16. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

And If Glen wasn`t so old he`d be doing her Ha Ha

17. kayos

kayos Guest

Pardon? "Train and electricity supply doesn't really bear that out."

Train companies win the contract for routes such as the East or West Coast Line by offering the Government the most cash, so obviously they need to recoup that from the passengers, so no competition there. Companies buy electricity from the same suppliers and have to recoup that from customers, so no competition there either! It is fake competition, trumpeted as such by the Government.

As has been stated previously, the proliferation of tackle shops in Whitby has reduced prices. I am not buying the reason is that trade prices have fallen, too much of a coincidence. Before the competition, bait prices in Whitby were much more expensive than say Hartlepool. Suddenly there are now cheaper because there are more places to buy it. It's not rocket science!

18. Baramundi Bob

Probably all ready have.

19. Baramundi Bob

No your a long way off the mark. Im not talking about a price match, My point is nothing to do with that, Im talking about the full package. Ive already outlined what you get from Whitby Angling Supplies. Some things might be a feww pennies more expensive and others might be a few pennies cheaper, if it boils down to saving a few pence then things are in a bad way.

The point Im making is When you go to Whitby angling supplies your dealing with a young man who knows angling on this coast inside out. Born on the coast, fished it since being a kid, grew up with us locals who know it well. We taught him all we know and he has since acquired his own knowledge. Dan reads every angling magazine and every website inside out. If you want any info on rigs, methods marks, what boats are catching, what they are catching on, then Dan is the person to ask. Every day when the boats of Whitby Charter Skippers come in, you will find Dan there mingling, finding out what has been caught. After work you will find him in the pub with Paul Kilpatrick and the others. When your in the other shop perhaps you could ask him why he isnt mingling in the pub and on the pontoon. Would love to hear the answer.

Im sorry to say that Malcolm has nowhere near that level of knowledge or competence. In comparative terms he probably knows about 1% of it. So if a stranger stopped me in the street, on the pier etc and asked where to get the best deal I would send him straight to see Dan. Now the reason should be clear, its not because your going to save a couple of quid, its because he is bast placed to offer the advise on all aspects of fishing.

Maybe also worth asking Malcolm why he is no longer a WCSA member when your having your free cup of coffee. If you dont get the full truth ask a few of the others.

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Nice one Dan much appreciated bud ;)
    I will send you may e-mail via PM cheers.