1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Whitby East Pier

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robert123, Jun 3, 2017.

1. robert123

robert123 Blenny

Will the East pier ever open again to allow fishing and visitors etc to get on?

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

probably not... they can barely repair the west pier as the walls are crumbling so making the east pier safe enough would be too much money. but we live in hope.

3. basha

basha Blenny

badly done too whitby in general.the residents caused uproar a few yrs back asking for something to be done.there was money available but it all went on marine drive and the kitty was empty.scarbrough gets whitby dosnt its always been that way.

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Does anyone know any figures for the cost. Maybe the lottery fund would help sure this has been looked in to but don't know

5. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fully agree whitby def the poor relation very one sided council now is your oppertunity change things
    get the old guard out

6. basha

basha Blenny

lottery funding was available bud but that went else were too.
    more historic value in saving the piers at whitby,the people who visit whitby per season outweighs scarbrough.
    surely repairing it now,saying that they have known about the vast repairs for yrs but nothing was done about it.when thoughs piers fall imagine the effect whitby would sustain.then it will be panick stations.surely for tourism purposes you would think it in there best interest to save the piers,because both are need off drastic repair.

7. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Trying to remember when the East Pier extension was closed... anybody ?

I remember fishing of the east pier extension, many moons ago,but the little grey cells arent what they were . I also remember turning up one evening and finding that the access bridge had been removed. Sad day that .

On the question of Whitby Harbour extensions ,well, its very old news, getting more than a token glance from anybody with the authority to say, yes, lets repair, well, dont hold your breath, I seem to recall that many local people , including the Forum owner has had many a cross word with the powers that be in regard to this and other matters, with little result.

Roger

8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I have been visiting Whitby from the age of around 14. 44 now and I don't remember it ever being able to fish it

9. basha

basha Blenny

10. anth the angler

anth the angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They are about to spend a few million on stabilising the west.seem to find that a stretch.....if that's the case there seems little chance of the east!

11. basha

basha Blenny

i certainely wouldnt believe what i read or hear about funding the piers repairs.theres been multiple reports of money available it always goes elswere.if it does happen they will be in so much of a state its going to cost treble the amount to restore the piers.scarbrough council need a board change,take a cut in wages and sort there heads out and give whitby half of what gets spent on scarbrough,without the piers whitby wnt be worth visiting,it'll be flooded out.

12. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have been visiting Whitby from the age of around 14. 44 now and I don't remember it ever being able to fish it.

Maybe your little grey cells need a workout as well as mine Simon...:)

east pier - Real Whitby

I vaguely remember there being some sort of barrier to stop anglers getting access to the east pier before the plank bridge was removed , a barrier that was cheerfully ignored !

Roger

13. basha

basha Blenny

says it all really about scarbrough council.
    used to love fishing the extension,first lifebelt just after the corner.had some memorable seshions off there and my biggest 2nd cod of 12lb 10oz.remember that night well walking it along the pier.a bumper haul as did many that night,i managed 11 fish that was back in 1987.

14. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

upload_2017-6-11_20-23-0.png
    Found this doing a google search!

15. basha

basha Blenny

hmmmm they late starting it.
    lets hope it rite and something gets done.

16. pmac

pmac Blenny

me lobbers and portlandbill could knock this up in a week or so.
    so whats the hold up ??

17. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Pick any week that suits