1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

When (and not if) the piers are restored to their former glory and all Whitby's other precious treasures are too, let the contracts be given to firms who employ at least 20% of local labour, and I don't necessarily mean just from Whitby.
    The local economy of Whitby is heavily funded by tourism and people from the Teesside area, many of which enjoy day trips to the town.
    Figures have recently been published showing the percentage of work that has been contracted to local firms for the various councils in Teesside, and I was shocked to hear on Radio Tees this morning that the percentage has decreased by up to 20% in the last year for some of our councils. In fact, only Hartlepool's council has actually bothered to actively increase the amount of work carried out by local firms. It is perfectly legal to include certain provisos in the terms of a contract when it's put out to tender, and even a firm from outside of the area can still apply if they comply with the requirement. (eg. At least 20% of local labour must be employed to carry out the work).
    The advantages of councils choosing a policy such as this are not just financial, as the spokeman from Hartlepool explained in the interview which was broadcast on Radio Tees this morning, it also ensures that there is steady increase in the number of skilled local workers who will in turn, spend some of the money they earn and help to boost the local economy. A typical example was given which highlighted the benefits of this policy.
    It occurred recently when a storm and high seas caused overnight damage to Hartlepool's north pier (I think it was), but Hartlepool council were able to arrange for immediate repair work to take place by Seymours, because they had previously been used for similar work involving the sea defences and they employed local labour which meant that the work could be done without delay.
    Maybe S.B.C could learn a thing or two from Hartlepool Council. In fact, maybe they should contact Seymours or Hartlepool Council's procurement dept for advice. After all, many of Seymours employees and their families will no doubt, be regular visitors to Whitby, and by spending some of their wages there, they are helping to boost Whitby's economy.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

3. jethro

jethro New Member

Re: Whitby Piers Petition

Signed and a scathing comment added too!!

4. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo think iv done it rite :crazy: waiting for email reply

5. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Signed and also the link is now on my facebook status..lets hope many more sign this worth cause.

6. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i signed

then i sat for 25 mins writing a propper heartfelt post on this topic about how gutted i am and how i could'nt even press a button about the subject, and a story about me and northwestern on ww 15 years ago in a storm 9 occasional storm 11 n gale , when i had 18 codling and poor jay had nowt cos i wouldnt part with any mussell, then i pressed preview and for some reason it wiped my wholw post.

where am i going to fish high water now, in mountainous seas, and have such a good time wich iv'e had on the end of there hudreds and hundreds of times,...... THE BEST PIER IN THE COUNTRY and i only say that because the a r s e h o l e s of SBC still havnt fixed the actual best ... the east
    GUTTED isnt the word

7. barry

barry Blenny

I tried to sign but it says coments closed .

8. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

I have registered my vote but I too have seen a message saying comments are closed, which is a shame as my comments were constructive and criticising the financial reasons for keeping the pier open to continue to generate revenue for the council which is surely in their best interests!

9. pasjas

pasjas Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

any comments and pics can also be put on save whitby`s piers on facebook

10. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

when i first saw this about closing the piers i thought wheres lobbers gonna fish now lol

11. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Signed and commented !!

12. metal micky

metal micky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

think i've done right.
    someone will let me know if i hav'nt

13. andyman

Petition signed with comment:
    Why oh why did the future of our beautiful and unique Whitby ever become reliant on the decisions of such a shower of siht from Scarborough Borough Council.

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Iwrote my piece then went to sign the petition ,
    and it siad comments closed ,

have i done something wrong :confused:

15. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I know nothing about Scarbrough Councillors but do you not think that they might be more helpfull if we didnt slag them off and just try and get their support for fishermen and tourists to be able to visit Whitby Town for its East and West Piers into the future.

You only have to look at Redcar and their Oservation Tower to see that not all councils welcome fishermen to their Seafronts.

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

The thing is Peter, small seaside towns SHOULD welcome fishermen to their towns in winter,
    after all, there is little ellse to for folk to do, redcar in particular :yes:

17. andyman

People have been complaining for 10 years about the state of Whitby's East pier, but what good has it done ?
    SBC have deliberately allowed both piers to slowly deteriorate over the years and if they had kept on top of the repair work required each year, they wouldn't now require major expensive restoration.
    Instead of maintaining the piers by spending a little amount on the important parts from year to year, all they have ever done is to paint over the cracks to give the illusion that they have been looked after.
    People are not just sad and angry that the piers are now both closed, their anger is being directed at the culprits who were trusted with their upkeep. ie. SBC.
    Meanwhile, a disproportionate amount of the council spending has gone into mis-managing Scarborough's sea defences, restoring the Spa complex and building improvements in the North Bay area. The people of Whitby and it's visitors have every justification to denounce the lack of action by SBC in maintaining their piers and many other of the towns attractions. It is nothing short of disgraceful and there are plenty of us who want the world to know about it.
    For years people have been asking nicely for SBC to allocate Whitby it's fair share of the coffers, but it has been largely to no avail. That is why they must be taken to task and exposed for their neglect of Whitby. As diplomacy hasn't worked, it has to be worth trying to SBC into action.

18. lochbois

lochbois Guest

From my experience with fishing forums and these petitions too many members sit on te fence reading what others are fighting for.
    What annoys me a lot of these fence sitters are the ones who are quick to attack others if one person disagrees.
    Lets all unite and tell these people that Whitby kids want to be able to fish of their home piers and that Whitby welcomes tourists from around the world to fish of two of the Best Traditional Piers in Britain.
    Maybe if we shout loud enough we might get some support of a celeb chef or a Scottish
    celeb passing through Historic Whitby Harbour before the North Sea washes it away.
    We could do with a few votes from the Goth Weekend People who enjoy looking for Dracula walking down the Piers.

19. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i signed the petition ,people should vote with their feet & let the councillors worry about their own jobs not that any would care ,in my area we have 58 MP SCROUNGEING GITS yes 58 in a area a few miles square ,its a farce many husband & wife teams on the gravy train too

20. woody

woody New Member

signed