1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

It will be a sad day when/if the Futurist is demolished to make way for new flats. Apparently the council have been advised that the cost of repair to the roof and heating system would not be a viable proposition. "Financial suicide", I think they called it.
    It would therefore seem that it's days are numbered unless some rich private buyer comes along to save it for posterity.
    I suppose that there would be even less chance of any money being spent on Whitby if the council paid for the restoration of the Futurist.

2. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

just read this on facebook,
    hope its within the rules of whitby sea angler to copy and paste the letter

To: Whitby Town Council deputytown.clerk@whitbytowncouncil.gov.uk
    Sent: 14th September 2011 12:05
    Subject: RE: Whitby West Pier footbridge

Dear Anne

Whitby West Pier footbridge update

Firstly officers are investigating if there is a short term solution to temporarily re-open the bridge to limited foot traffic. We initially need to obtain access to the underside of the structure to carry out more detailed checks, measurements and structural calculations, and once these are assessed it may be possible to implement a preferred solution of a walkway across the bridge to allow it to re-open. It was intended to erect scaffolding slung under the footbridge earlier this week to facilitate the inspection but this was postponed due to the high winds. Subject to favourable weather conditions the scaffolding should be erected by the end of this week.

Officers have been in touch with both English Heritage and a bridge manufacturer to begin the process of the permanent replacement of the bridge. The bridge is a listed structure and Listed Building Consent will have to be applied for and obtained. In addition we will have to comply with our statutory procurement procedures. The bridge will be procured on a design and build basis but English heritage will approve a preliminary design and the bridge manufacturer will be providing all the detailing and structural calculations. Once designed in detail the bridge would be manufactured off site and then delivered and installed.

Correctly following these statutory procedures will take time, the full extent of which is not known at present while investigations are on-going.

The Whitby Harbour Board will be considering a report on the matter at its meeting on 3 October 2011 by which time we will have made further progress and have a clearer understanding of costs and timescales.

I hope this information is helpful, and that you are assured that officers are actively working on solutions to mitigate the impact of the closure.

Brian

3. twd

twd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I attended a meeting with the management of the Spa & members of SBC in 2009. My proposal to them to hold a fund raiser event in aid of St. Catherines Hospice, was scuppered due to the fact that they were preparing for a major revamp and refit of the Spa at a cost of over 1million £.
    I said to them that the Spa did not require that amount of work and they said that the refit would enable the Spa to take more business away from the Futurist, even though it is owned and managed by SBC. The words that came from my mouth were along the lines of, "That is the biggest contradiction I've heard in a long time".

In all honesty the Spa does not need that amount of financial injection & work doing to it when there are more pressing repair's to be looked at and worked on else where, such as Whitby.
    I would hate to think how much the redevelopment of Peasholm open air theater cost! In reality do they really need this?

I think you will find that the work on the Spa with its refit is to re-house what would have been at the Futurist.

Parking charges are nuts, so if SBC are charging that amount then surely they should be injecting that money back into the areas where the money came from??

Whitby holds more magic than Scarborough ever will...!!!!

4. pasjas

pasjas Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

612 members

save whitby`s piers on facebook now has over 600 members in less than 24 hours........

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: 612 members

What you gonna do with them ? They will soon get bored. A call to action is required in the next few days.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Agree with you there Glenn- Its a great gesture but that 'show of numbers' needs to be seen by the decision makers.

7. pasjas

this site was opend less then 24 hours ago by people in teesside and more then half the people joined had no clue it was happening ....

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Just let us all know when a day of protest is going to be and i will be there :yes:
    as will many many forum members , you can put your shirt on it :cool:

9. pasjas

thanks for your support .... we are currently looking into it and hopeing the people of whitby are orginiseing 1 as we are from teesside and cant orginise 1 ourselfs as its to do with diffrent councils and districts........ but will gladdly walk along side the people of whitby in protest

10. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :wink:

11. woody

woody New Member

i will be there too as long as its not next week ....

12. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

If marine drive is full of parked cars, in one day and all paid 6 pound to park the council only make 7,200 pounds. :angry:

13. pasjas

we now have the backing from whitby gazzette and setting up a protest with them detail will be on in due corse !

14. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i will come & my son & his kids will too i want my grandkids to walk where i walked & my father & his father came to enjoy whitby as it was as it it is ,& hopefully will allways be ,

15. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Don't forget the Freedom of Information Act . It applies to pretty much any publicly funded body and certainly SBC.

An Act to make provision for the disclosure of information held by
    public authorities or by persons providing services for them and
    to amend the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Public Records
    Act 1958; and for connected purposes. [30th November 2000]

But don't just fire off a bunch of random and unrelated requests because you can. You need to figure out amongst yourselves precisely what it is you want to know, then make a formal request.

SBC might not want to co-operate but remember... they work for you, you pay their wages. SBC are subject to the Act and here is the"nuclear option" should they believe otherwise.

(plenty of information : We can help you ---> Access information from a public body (top of page in green RHS)

How can I access official information?
    What can I request?

The Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations give you rights to access official information. The Environmental Information Regulations give you specific rights to obtain environmental information.

You have a right to request any recorded information held by a public authority, such as a government department, local council or state school. Environmental information requests can also be made to certain non-public bodies carrying out a public function.

* You can ask for any information you think a public authority may hold. The right only covers recorded information which includes information held on computers, in emails and in printed or handwritten documents as well as images, video and audio recordings.
    * You should identify the information you want as clearly as possible.
    * Your request can be in the form of a question, rather than a request for specific documents, but the authority does not have to answer your question if this would mean creating new information or giving an opinion or judgement that is not already recorded.
    * Some information may not be given to you because it is exempt, for example because it would unfairly reveal personal details about somebody else.

You don’t have to know whether the information you want is covered by the Environmental Information Regulations or the Freedom of Information Act. When you make a request, it is for the public authority to decide which law they need to follow.

16. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

i will be there aswell :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

17. Baramundi Bob

I hope people will attend. A group called free Whitby has organised protests in the past and its heartbreaking when no-one turns up.

18. Baramundi Bob

I would think a Sunday afternoon could be good as a lot of people come to Whitby for the afternoon from teesside and west yorkshire.

19. Baramundi Bob

20. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Well said jon i think what we need are where is the tax payers money of whitby is going or better goneover the last ten years lets have the figures whats being spent can by SBC can SBC council hide behind the facts the freedom of imformation act lets just see whats being spent here compaired to other parts of the borough i know we will all be shocked they milk this town dry its hooking shocking the sheer lack of investment in the infrastructure of the town just beggars beleife.

paul.