1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Stick something on here.
    http://m.facebook.com/home.php?refid=7#!/BBCLookNorthYorkshire

I did don't know if I will get in trouble. Would It be worth putting the link for this on there Facebook page? I take It that would be up to Glenn.

2. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi
    I know it may be a long shot but , could any lottery,european type grant be applied for?
    The heritage people could apply etc, as I believe the pier at Saltburn survived along those lines.
    @ 35 years ago a lady at Port Mulgrave tried through european funding to restore the Harbour
    that was blown up on the outbreak of ww2 & after extensive lobbying etc,it all fell through.
    To raise the profile/plight of the extensions,could a "fighting fund" be set up & if successful
    force the council to pay the outstanding ammount due for the repairs or have i been on
    too many "fishing trips"

3. twd

twd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

According to SBC web site.....
    "It is an offence to demolish, alter or extend a listed building, so as to affect its character as a building of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, without first obtaining Listed Building Consent". Click here for more info.

Full list of listed building in Whitby is available here

4. pasjas

pasjas Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Save Whitby`s Piers facebook

there is now a post on facebook please join and spread the word as all are welcome ...... thanks
    pasjas
    phill and jue

5. woody

woody New Member

i think what ever happens this season is out of the question , if they go for the listed building consent it wil still take a long time ,,, hey ho

6. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Watched the councillor on the local news the other night, bragging about how much they hve spent on pontoon etc. Lose the piers, lose the fishermen. shme on the council!

7. woody

woody New Member

Re: Save Whitby`s Piers facebook

good idea its a start !!! have u a link ????

8. pasjas

9. pasjas

10. pasjas

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

12. anderson365

anderson365 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Possible to create an e.petiotion on direct.gov.uk

Facebook is good but a petition created :

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

might get more notice

Dont know how they work but if enough people in and around whitby agree to a petition created on the government site something may happen.

13. anderson365

anderson365 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Possible to create a Whitby e.petition on direct.gov.uk

14. barry

barry Blenny

Has anybody in the SBC district asked the question to SBC " when is the repair of the West Pier going to start " .

15. pasjas

save whitbys piers facebook

in less than 3 hours over 100 members not bad

16. bucko

bucko New Member

I have often read Whitby residents displeasure on their MP on here- but I wasn't aware of this quote until today:

"I fly from Leeds/Bradford to Brussels and we get a set fee of around £500, but if I buy a cheaper ticket, economy class for about £160 and £250, I can pocket the difference and, as a capitalist, also as a British Conservative, I see it as a challenge to buy cheap tickets and make some profit on the system"
    :scared:

17. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Years ago I experienced a very salutory lesson in dealing with Redcar and cleveland council. We mounted a spirited campaign to preserve a twenty five acre field. In the end, their plans went through. My phone bill went through the roof, my spare time evaporated and the field, ten years on, is now the housing development they wanted.

I think it is probably the case that the vast majority of campaigns - and anything to do with the piers included - are at a disadvantage because they begin in the middle of a long game.

It would not surprise me to learn that SBC have had these plans in mind for years - plans that also take into account the future for years to come.

Have they not already said the there is no future for fishing in Whitby? That being the case (in their view), I would hazzard a guess that they see the future in other directions.

If you offered to pay for repairs out of your own pocket, they wouldn't be interested. Whatever their plan is, it does not appear to include the continued maintenance of the pier extensions in their current guise.

Please don't misunderstand me. I've known the piers for fifty years and especially have come to cherish those early summer evening slots with a flat calm sea and the sun bouncing into your eyes as you bag a few Mackerel. I truly hope that I'm wrong but sadly, I think I've done it for the last time. It's a great sadness and another bit of the sandwich that seems to form an attack on Recreational Sea Angling.

Don't forget just how determined they are. Their determination on this is the same determination that built it all in the first place.

Steve.

18. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Whitby Sea Anglers Forum has 4,893 total members why dont we all drop S.B.C a letter telling them what we think about their actions or lack of them?.
    Maybe Scarbrough people dont want outsiders interfering with their councils plans like Redcar people who are getting an Observitary Tower rather than a Traditional Pier from their council.

19. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I have lived in Scarborough for about 6/7 years years before that ravenscar. And before that northallerton, all my family are from whitby/ravenscar area. We use to go to stay at my great grans over the summer holidays in robin hoods bay as kids. The. We would have a day out we would always go to whitby.

It would be one of the daftest thing sbc have ever done. But just cos Its sbc don't think Scarborough gets everything It needs. The place is a mess. The council are shit they don't do anything here. Look at the furtirst on the sea front. Beautiful buikding and they are just letting that get to the same state as whitby piers and they will sepp it off for flats.

Sorry rant over.

Scarborough council are no use to any town or village that in there borough.

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Funny you should mention the futurist Ducky. A friend of mine intyerested in council issues has talked about it a lot. There ios something underhand going on with that building.