1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Well that's a blatent lie, as the Email I recieved from Robert Goodwill says they knew about it earlier in the year.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Absolute madness the plot thickends or is sombody winding up .

paul.

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Robert goodwill needs to stand up and be counted he needs to rattle the cages inside the council its all very sad indeed our town is falling to bits and it has to stop people powere looks the only way with whats going on.

paul.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Goodwill says theres lots of investment in Whitby. Hes quoted on here saying about the new hotel on Sandsend road being great for the town. What a muppet.

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Glen he is clueless and the rest of town is falling to bits he must have got an invite to the opening night.

paul.

7. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Sorry Glenn, he never said the investment was good for the town, he just said lots of investment.

I know it's splitting hairs, but it's polititions speak. :suspious:

8. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

If the top decks are to be removed for the sake of a cheap ( in comparison ) bridge being replaced?
    Cost of new bridge?
    vs
    Cost of demolition?
    Cost of replacing the required warning beacons at the end of each pier once the top decks are removed?

Can the "elected" members of SDC justify in the current ecomonic climate the significantly increased cost of the option to not replace a simple bridge on each pier?

In the words of a layman - Bridges are a lot cheaper !

Does Whitby need or suit an 8 million pound hotel - surely the existing options for accommodation are sufficient

9. simon22

simon22 Rockling

As i said in my post before. i am able to join a protest, 20th 21st 22nd 23rd 24th anyone or all of the days. This must have some publicity

10. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Who could give 2 shits about a new hotel? how in the hell is that in anyway an "attraction" to the town, who would want to stay in a hotel in a derelict town ?

the reason people come here is for the tourism, and our links to our heritage are literally falling down around us. the reasons that people visit in the first place are dissappearing

this story is unfolding like a stephen king novel

11. bucko

bucko New Member

Lets be realistic here- the mention of the hotel is a political diversion.

Its no bad thing but its of no relevance to the plight of the piers.

12. dmc

dmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it appears double standards are in place here,sbc found the money to place millions of tons of designer stones in front of marine drive,yet they take the easy way out and shut the piers down,its also appears to me that the decision was made to coincide whith the end of the summer,as for a new hotel,the local b/b and smaller hotels in these difficult finacial times will stuggle even more.and im sure the new hotel will not be as warm to the visiting angler after a good 10 hour trip coming back tired for the night with a sack load of fillets and mackys.

13. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Do you think if this happened and a new bridge put in you could still fish off the lower deck? :suspious:
    I mean obviously not with a raging sea on but it would surely be better than nothing?

14. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To draw conclusions from the east pier I wouldnt count on anthing providing access to them to be honest, so long as they provide the sea defence then I expect that will be all that is desired from any works

15. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

This has got to be some sort of miss understanding as both extensions piers have just had there navigational lights replace with more up to date LED lights. God nose how much that cost (to be pulled down not long after) What the fook are Scarborough council thinking about. It's about time Whitby had it's own council.

16. pasjas

pasjas Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The likes of a protest would be good if you could get support from celebrities such as those in Emmerdale, the Royal and Heartbeat who have all contributed to whitby over the years.

17. jethro

jethro New Member

If this was any other country except ours, there would be protests and outcry's from all over the place. I agree with Paul that people power is what is needed, Perhaps some sort of a blockade onto the piers or in the harbour when they try to demolish them. It would certainly get the publics attention to the unscrupulous pratts at SBC.

Jethro :angry:

18. Groyne

Groyne Guest

By then it would be to late, the council would just use force of law to go about its legal process.
    The idea of demolition must be stopped in the planning stages, but to do that you need to know exactly what the Council are planning.

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Indeed- and anyone taking this with a pinch of salt should maybe have a look at how Mayor Mallon got the bulldozers onto three of Middlesbrough's historic buildings in the space of the year.

Another thought is that surely a demolition job of such magnitude would mean the closure of the port during times of work?

20. twd

twd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whitby is a magical place along with it's heritage and history. The sad truth is in SBC management and decision making.
    SBC have this nasty habit of destroying all good things and bringing in ridiculous ideas and concepts. I hate to admit it, but lived in Scarborough for many years before moving away to other areas. So I do understand what SBC are like..... yes they are nothing but a badly run Circus act with no conservation or vision.

Surely planning applications have to be put through for the demolition and upgrade to all demolished work carried out to make it safe? If this is the case, then you the council tax payer have a right to vote / reject against this.

Whitby West & East Piers are also Grade II listed buildings more info on this can be found on this link Click for West and Click for East. But as SBC are the 'legal' owners of the piers then they are legally required to keep the building 'maintained' & 'structurally sound'.

Seriously though, some thing does need to be done to stop the proposed demolition and changes that SBC want to execute.

The only way that this can change is if enough people support 'against' SBC decisions, so yeah pull all the stops out, full steam ahead, pull together and protect what needs protecting.

Im with you all the way!
    :happy: