1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Re: First The East And Now The West - Another Pier Lost

Simon- with all due respect I don't think creating a 'them and us' situation would benefit the situation at all.
    The pier has been enjoyed by rich and poor for years and as such needs both fighting its corner.

On a different note it would be interesting to gather all the different media that the pier has been used for and seen in (ie: Heartbeat, music videos, films etc)- it could gather a bit of celebrity support which in turn would get the press interested.

2. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Re: peir closed, can we do anything

Sorry just to add. I am on holiday for a week in whitby starting the 17th, if 20 or 30 of us held a protest it would be a start

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Did not mean it like that mate, and i am sorry if that is how it came across. I know that lotto money goes to help many peolpe in all walks of life, but having said that i belive 2years ago 50million was given to the royal, if 10 was given to the town and not used up by greedy gits, the repairs could be done and help the local area.

4. woody

woody New Member

Dear Robert Goodwill,
    As i am aware , the west pier extention has been closed due to renovations to the extention bridge . Now i go fishing to your area at least once ,if not twice a week . I used to fish from the east pier , before it was left to wreck and ruin !!! I sincerely hope the west pier will not be left to do the same !!. I hope the works will be carried out in a timely fashion , as not to disrupt and deter the many thousands of anglers and tourists alike , that will bring support to the many buisnesses, and attraction to the town through the winter months , I do hope my money i have spent in the town over the many years i have visited is put to good use ?

Yours sincerely, woody email sent come on lads lets stir him up !!

5. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Have sent an email to my own mp in stockport, not sure it will help but have done so anyway

6. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Re: peir closed, can we do anything

We need a clever man to formulate a plan that the council would find hard to ignore or refuse. As the good folk of Whitby know to their cost Scarborough council seem to treat Whitby as a cash cow to fill its coffers without giving much back.

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive merged the two topics about the west pier. Best to keep everything in the one place. I will support a protest at the pier gates. I will also be putting a petition on the site for everyone to sign. May be better to call for the resignation of Robert Goodwill rather than just another save our pier petition. that will get ignored. Its now ten years since the east pier was closed and they have taken no notice of endless petitions and complaints from the public.

Robert Goodwill and Whitby West Side Councillor Joe Plant have failed us miserably and its time to let them know what we think.

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Why not try the old fashioned way and write to your MP or now we have two parties running the country write to Cameron and Clegg.
    I have always written sent first class and enclosed a stamped addressed envelope so they can repy.
    If all the anglers who care sent a letter i believe they will start to listen.
    Nine out of ten times it worked for me. Trout and Salmon magazine were very expensive to get in touch with but i persisted .

9. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Glenn, i will make up some petition forms and bring them over with me next week, will leave one in whitby angling ( if this is ok with them) one in the gamby pub, one in the station pub and one in rods and reels, not sure where to take or send them too if there are enough names, any chance you could find out for me..

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Can people still fish of the concrete pier on the West Pier.
    In the past i have moved back onto the concrete part and followed the tide or because their is too many people already on the extension and i am a crap caster and dont want to upset anyone.

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I think you can count on a hell of a lot of forum members to support the protest,
    lets see if mr goodwill will turn out .

12. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

As a regular visitor to Whitby, I can only comment on my own observations of it over the last 50 years. I've always loved Whitby and can never stay away for more than a month or so without being drawn back there.
    From the age of seven and right through my teenage years and my twenties, all I ever wanted from Whitby was to get on either of the piers and spend hours fishing and watching all the activity in the harbour. When I wasn't fishing in Whitby, I fished from Saltburn pier or South Gare instead which are both closer to where I live in Middlesbrough.
    Although I did a lot less sea fishing during my thirties and forties due to the fact that I discovered coarse fishing, my preference returned to sea fishing in the last few years, especially after getting my first kayak.
    So, even though I have regularly visited Whitby without ever fishing there for nigh on twenty years, I feel saddened and angry that both piers have been left to rot and are now both inaccessible to anglers.
    Although recently retired, I'm only in my mid fifties and I'm fairly fit, so I'm lucky that I have the time to be able to pursue my re-discovered love of sea fishing from my kayak whenever sea conditions allow, but if it wasn't for the piers at Whitby in particular, that seed would never have been sown and I would probably never have become an angler.
    As a kid, I was never happier than when we had a family day out at Whitby. I would head straight for Whitby Angling where I would buy a carton of fresh mussel and fish into the harbour off a jetty near to where the Visitor Centre is now on New Quay Road, and catch billet and the odd flattie on a handline. Then I graduated to the fishing area next to the swing bridge and then onto the piers.
    I can't say that I've seen too many changes over the years around the harbour area, but I cannot understand why the piers and their wooden extensions have not been kept in good order or renewed whilst Saltburn pier and the surrounding area has had been completely restored.
    In stark contrast to Whitby, I've just visited Scarborough this weekend for the first time in 10 years, and I was impressed by all of the improvements and new developments in both the North and South Bays. It would appear that a lot of money has been spent in upgrading this popular resort over the last ten years as it certainly needed it the last time I was there and the overall shabby state of the place was the reason I stopped taking my family there.
    However, I was slightly disappointed that access to the piers for angling appears to have been restricted somewhat from the last time I was there. I still managed to catch a couple of mackerel from the East pier yesterday evening though and was pleased with that.
    I was talking to my brother-in-law about my observations and how much appeal each resort attracts to holiday makers and day tourists. He is a businessman who works for a successful telecommunications company, and he told me that he has attended several meetings in the last 12 months between his company and S.B.C. in which he was astounded by the shambolic lack of understanding and communication between senior members of the council regarding the financial situation and spending plans of each others departments. One of their leaders actually attended one particularly important meeting in a stained white shirt and sporting a Micky Mouse tie. Not only was he late, but he had come totally unprepared. When his colleagues explained the agenda to him, they found that he had not received or read any of the internal communications between their various departments, and had not brought the required documents to the meeting. The meeting had to be curtailed and another one arranged. Following that, two further meetings have had to be cancelled in similar circumstances due to the shortcomings of the council in providing their own senior members with accurate and required information to enable them to negotiate contracts which they themselves were in a hurry to complete as it was in their own interest to do so because they were losing money by delaying the deal.
    I must say that this, along with other examples of incompetence that I've read about, is enough to make my blood boil, so I can only imagine how fed up Whitby folk and pier anglers must be with S.B.C.
    It definately does appear to me that most of the taxpayers money has, and is being spent on attracting visitors to Scarborough at the expense of Whitby's status, and unless this imbalance is addressed quickly, Whitby is going to need private investment from somewhere to restore it to it's former glory.

13. Baramundi Bob

14. Baramundi Bob

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/the-poor-piers-of-whitby-by-maggie-hall#comment-17633

15. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Absolutley disgusting, I find it beyond belief the way that Whitby is treat as some sort of poor relation. Whitbys piers and extensions are iconic symbols of your great town and port and I feel heartily sorry for the way you are treated.
    Sureley some sort of protest must now take place.

Regards Ian

16. Baramundi Bob

I think it will Ian. They must be stopped.

17. woody

woody New Member

unbelievable glenn what a shower of clowns !!!! yes something must now be done !!!!!

18. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If theres to be protesting then count me in, time those prats at SBC got the message.

Would be shocking if we were to lose our wooden top decks and be left with a concrete insult in the form of having only the lower decks there

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Glen i spoke to brian bennett Head of Tourism and Culture today and he assured me wheels were in motion regarding the bridge on the west peir he said scaffolding was being put up today or tommorow to check on the state of the bridge he did stress that the council were more or less convinced the bridge would be demolished i did ask why pay for scaffolding if that was what they thought but he said they still need to look how a new bridge would be erected and fastened at each end so they needed the scaffold for that.
    The peir is listed so plans for a new bridge have to go to the national heritage to be passed i said how long is this going to take and he couldnt anser that but i said feelings were running high in the town regarding this issue the affect on whitby angling when the peir is closed must a nightmare but its once again SBC being neglegent in not having maintained the bridge or if they new it was on its way out why the hell wasnt a replacement bridge in place ready to replace the one which after a century had come to the end of its life.

paul.

20. Baramundi Bob

What Brian Bennet says and what actually happens are very often completely different things. Just like the rest of them hes full of deceit. I have it on very good authority that demolition is on the cards for the upper decks, so any new bridge would be a link to the lower deck only.