1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Re: First The East And Now The West - Another Pier Lost

I was looking at the 'Pier Society' website last night but unfortunately it seems to focus on legged piers.
    Maybe the Whitby lotto winner, Mr Locker, the doctor from Eastenders and the chip shop millionaires club could have a whip round :whistle:

2. barry

barry Blenny

I sent this to Whitby,s MP , i dont live in Whitby is couldnt push it to far .

Some years ago Scarborough Borough Council removed the bridge over to West Pier and refused to replace it . They have now closed the East Pier . Scarborough Borough Council is slowly closing Whitby down , this does not seem by accident . Could you please inform the people of Whitby when the East Pier will be reopened . Thanks ,Barry

Ps , maybe you would like to comment on Real Whitby below so the people of Whitby know were they stand .

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-town-is-falling-down

3. barry

barry Blenny

got the piers the wrong way round but he,s got the correct one .

4. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

robert.goodwill.mp@parliament.uk

Theres his email adress if anyone wants it, maybe if a few write to him on this issue (and the general dilapidated state of whitby on the whole) he will be forced to at least respond to us

we live in hope :whatever:

5. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Email sent.

6. jethro

jethro New Member

Bob,
    I am obviously not very good on a computer :embarrass: but wondered if it would be possible to put up an on line petition to be sent to the MP just to show him the feelings of all the anglers etc, that this will effect.

Just a thought

Jethro

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well lads , i have sent an E-MAIL to the link provided ,
    however i fear it has fell on deaf ears,

i recieved an automated response, basicly telling me that if iam not a constituant of his ,
    he canot reply

it says please enter you full name address, e mail and post code and telephone number,
    so it looks like you good people of whitby and scarbrough will have to rais the question
    to him yourselfs, i allso sent him the link for the whitby sea anglers forum index ,

good luck all in your efforts :yes:

8. barry

barry Blenny

This is the email reply i got this morning from yesterdays email i sent. At least the guy replied . Only problem i can see is he didnt state when the work WILL start .

This work was scheduled to start after the busiest part of the holiday season for obvious reasons. I inspected it with John Riby from the Council earlier in the year and they were well aware of the problem and assured me that there was no danger.

Not sure when the work will finish.

Best wishes

Robert Goodwill MP

9. Groyne

Groyne Guest

This is what I got.

At least he replied, unlike another MP.

Hope the new hotel isn't a Tower block and a substitute for the pier. :laugh:

10. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if theres no danger can we still use it for winter fishing?or is the fence erected to difficult to get over?

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

WTF has an 8 million pound private build on the Sandsend Road got to do with the state of repair of Whitby Town Center and the general collapse of a majority of harbour structures.

Goodwill should have resigned over the the coastguard situation when he decided to back government cuts. The man is simply not up to the job.

As for not replying to non residents of his constituency. How dare he, does he not realise that The area is visited by a massive amount of incomers/holiday makers on an annual basis. How can you just ignore people who visit the town and use the facilities such as the pier.

Wise up Robert for gods sake.

12. Baramundi Bob

Can we please have some comments from you guys on the article at the link below.

If your resident or visitor to Whitby we would love to hear from you (Unlike our MP Robert Goodwill).

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We should of bought a couple of ships of Able at Greatham tied them to the remaining bits of pier and fished of them.
    Look how long it took Stockton Council to remove the HMS Kellington.
    The Boro have a sinking nightclub on the Tees waiting to rot and sink to the bottom.

P.S I wont be buying a boat i am sea-sick on boats so i like to stick to beaches and piers.
    Cant wait to see the lads fighting to get to the top of the Redcar Tower to cast from.

14. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

feel free to copy anything ive written so far into your other link glen. I think this one may be the straw that broke the camels back in the sense of what whitby as a whole is ready to put up with from the constant failures of our local and national government to safeguard our national landmarks. I can be sure the tower of london isnt going to fall into the thames any time soon, neither are the houses of parliment or god forbid our monarchs houses...yet Whitbys historical sites and landmarks are disposable aparently

I will certainly be voting anything but goodwill come election time as he has failed so many times to even recognise whitby as part of his areas of concern

15. Baramundi Bob

Please use this link if contacting Robert Goodwill. They also want to know if he refuses to respond :

http://www.writetothem.com/

16. simon22

simon22 Rockling

peir closed, can we do anything

Hi all, as anglers and as members of the public could we not hold a protest at the storm gates on the west peir. If the press were contacted we could get a bit of publicity and the press would also contact the local council for a statement and also asked them what they intend to do about the sorry state of it all. I am sure that there are people on here who are much more clued up about this sort of thing than i am, and as i live in stockport it is not local to me, but i would be prepared to come over and support a peaceful protest for the right to fish and enjoy one of whitbys main attractions.

17. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi Glenn, as an angler and a tourist who enjoys bringing his family to whitby i would like to comment on the link you posted. I started coming to whitby in the 80s and enjoyed the boat fishing and the local shops and entertainment. I now bring my wife and grandson to whitby, and stay in the local b and bs, my grandson loves sitting with me on the end of whitby peir, catching crabs and small fish in his drop net, i have had to tell him that this september he will not be able to do that. The state of the walls around the swing bridge is a joke, and i can not understand why the council would not keep them, or the peirs in good repair, i am sure that alot of money is spent in b and bs , flats and caravans over the year ,and lots of the people spending the money that keeps the area going, are not going to stay in whitby anymore. I took my family to scarbourgh for a week and could not go out at night with my wife or grandson as there were gangs of kids on the street corners and we did not feel safe, i have never felt this way in whitby and i am happy for my wife and grandson to take the dog for her last walk at night without me. Please dont think that i am slaggin scar off, cos i am not , it is just how we felt and i know that most peole who live in the area are friendly and also good fun to have a beer with (another reason we come is for the people). I am sorry that the people who hold the money dont see fit to make repairs to parts of the town that people have been enjoying for years and years. What about a lotto donation for repairs, instead of giving it all to the royal baluet or the fine arts accosation, but then again we are only working class people who want to fish!

18. woody

woody New Member

Re: peir closed, can we do anything

good idea simon , i think its time something is put forward to the press ect , cause there is many buisnesses ect that will be affected from non passing trade that would have been if the piers were open as simon says , anyone with the knowledge or good ideas how to go about it ? ?? the exellent pictures glenn took is a start !!!

19. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Don't think you would get very far against the high handed Scarborough council as they are playing the health and safety card in the name of public interest and keeping the public safe. It's a hard one to argue against in this day and age. Also in the current economic climate they can easily justify the lack of cash to spend on such a luxury as a repair/replacement to the bridge against essential services to the community.

This isn't just apathy but a sad reflection on the world we now live in. If anything is to happen in the short term I think it will have to be down to the people forming a committee to raise the funds to pay for the repairs. Something along the lines as the friends of Saltburn pier who have done so much good to secure a future for the old pier there.

20. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I agree mate, but, if we dont try and we just sit back then they will always get away with it,,,, we are workin class men and women who just want to fish and enjoy the town