1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby East And West Piers Upper Deck To Be Demolished - Its No Joke

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Re: First The East And Now The West - Another Pier Lost

Someone with a suspicious mind might wonder why these findings have been revealed the week the kids go back to school and the main tourist season and regatta week are over with.

3. woody

woody New Member

thats gonna put a spanner in the works , will have to get my casting head on !!! , does anyone know how far the east pier is off getting done ??

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I guess no more' 'whitby west is best' threads :sad:

5. woody

woody New Member

unless i use my 515 mag lol

6. Baramundi Bob

East pier will never be done Bucko. I cant ever see it reopening under Scarborough Council and dont expect any quick fix for the west either. I just hope they dont take the bridge off completely.

7. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Unbelievable but not really surprised that SBC once again are doing there very best to deplete peoples interest in Whitby town.
    If someone in a suit who is paid by SBC can demonstrably prove that the access bridge is unsafe then may I suggest the steps at the rear of Sandsend car park are replaced before someone sues them for turning their ankle over.
    I am even more surprised that the steps up the abbey have not been shut as they are that wide only a gibbon could keep three points of contact whilst climbing the steps.
    It was not long ago reports in the papers were suggesting that this nanny health and safety jobs-worth stupidity was going to be brought under control.
    Have SBC put out an employment opportunity for a currently unemployed Whitby resident to police this ??????
    Bloody barmy SBC once again

8. bucko

bucko New Member

It was Woody that asked that mate.
    As I said earlier- the findings are incredibly well timed so that thousands of tourists don't go home thinking Whitby is in decline or being up in arms about such a fine structure getting into such a state.
    Such a shame- and one thats sure to stir up some emotive responses. After all- how many of us 'Cut our teeth' on those piers?

Also, with regard to the 'poor access' that those surveying it had- Could they not have 'walked' on during a real low tide or even used that rib that was taking workers over to the East Pier?

9. Baramundi Bob

Ah, must pay more attention

10. Baramundi Bob

You know you couldn't make it up. What a shower of $hite they are at Scarborough Borough Council.

The whole town is in a dilapidated state. Have you seen the state of the doplhins around the swing bridge ? rotted away to nothing. The handrails have all gone on the east pier extension. The east pier lighthouse is about to fall down.

They need a bullet up their arses.

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Is the bridge completely sealed off or is it just the storm gate that is locked glenn ?

12. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Also what about the impact on the two tackle shops? yes we know that a lot of trade is for the boat/course/trout anglers
    but surely a decent % of trade is for the shore/pier/rock anglers that support them.Hope that they dont suffer a "knock on"
    effect.

13. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

What shocked me was the bit that said the council believe that the west pier footbridge was built some time between 50 and 98 years ago ?!!!
    How come they don't know exactly when it was built. Don't they keep records ? :no: :no: :no:

14. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Our towns whole draw to tourism is its heritage.

Too many things are failing now, there was the nightmare when all the harbour walls started collapsing, the East pier closing and now the west. the only thing that seems unchanged through all the years ive lived here is the abbey (and I think thats more attributable to english heritage than the council)

Our policy here at whitby is that with the attraction one ruin provided to tourism, maybe a whole town full of them will be an even bigger boon to our economy

I have a plan, why not get a monarch to come to town and strip all the places of historical value and use the money to finance a few divorces, meanwhile we can recreate the bombardment of whitby to give anything left standing a real authentic "blown to shit in the war" look.....Hey, it worked for the abbey

This business model can be put into full effect with minimal cost to our council, who take so much but give so little to our town (see, outrageous parking fees for cars and coaches, no resident disk scheme, rates that are just a shade this side of actual robbery)

Or perhaps instead we can just watch as it all gets taken care of by nature as some twat in a suit counts the money he saved while he sends a road crew out in the middle of summer to repair swathes of road that theres nothing bloody wrong with.

Round of applause for the spineless frauds that call themselves our "borough council" if that pier closes for good then they can really call themselves the worst thing to happen to our town since the norse visitors came calling

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I left my reply on the link, quite sensible i thought :whistle:

16. simon22

simon22 Rockling

bloody hell, over in september managed to get some good peeler for the week and was hopin to get on the peir for a night or 2 as not being the best caster in the world was hopin it would put me in with the chance of a fish or so... Anone recomend another whitby venue where i stand a chance of a cod :sad:

17. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Nobody's ever bothered anglers who've climbed over the gates on stormy nights. Unless they put a full scale barrier up, do you think anyone'll care if anglers are still fishing from the pier?
    They haven't stopped anglers fishing the Huegh, Skinny or Steetley (untill it burned down).

18. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sorry to hear typical council crap yours sound as bad as ours mind you can come fishing from our vertical pier next year as long as you dont use grappling sinkers as they may tangle with the town clock
    who votes these wa////s in

19. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Astonishing, isn't it, that a structure plan can be mindful of needs for things like schools and roads decades in advance but in (up to )90-odd years no-one anticipated the need for access to maintain the underside of a structure subject to a hostile marine environment. Are they Welsh, missing a sitter like that?

Steve.

20. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

If you're after a cod actually in Whitby itself, it looks like your best chance is going to be at The Magpie Cafe thanks to the bungling S.B.C.
    Talk about planning in advance ? More like they've left it on purpose until after the school holidays so that it can be gotten rid of by the winter storms, just like the East Pier. It saves them money that way.
    What they are saying is, if you want a new footbridge then local businesses will have to pay a hefty chunk towards the cost of it.
    Why can't they just fill underneath it with rocks and fit a simple wooden walkway with iron railings. Surely it wouldn't cost that much ?