1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Conger Club At The Mull Of Galloway 2012

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Fresh back from another great trip to the shores of Luce Bay and The Mull Of Galloway. Only three of us traveled north this year as some of the other lads could not get the time away from work.

The fishing was not as great as can be expected, but we still managed bass to five pounds, Pollack to five pounds, conger into double figures and stacks more species including Bull Huss, Dog Fish, Coalfish, Mackerel etc.

The Crack as always was fantastic, infact Ive never laughed so much in ages. The lads who never came, really did miss out on a whole lot of fun.

We arrived last Saturday and fished the first night on the rocks for bass. Mike as always did his old Golden Balls routine and nailed three bass on the first night whilst myself and damo couldnt attract anything other than dogfish.

Day two was all about congers. After last years experience of lost Monsters to the deep, we were prepared this year, as Mike had made us a bag full of conger rigs on wire traces. If we hooked one this year, then there was no doubt it would be landed.

Again Mike led the way, He had non stop bites all day from a mark at the end of the mull. Mikes total for the day was 3 conger to 12 pounds. Once again, myself and Damo entertained the local bull huss contingent with our mackerel flapper baits.

Sunday and Monday and Tuesday went much the same way. The weather meant the bass fishing was poor. A strong southerly had pushed a lot of weed over the bass marks and going was slow with Damo being the only person to land a bass. The days were spent congering on the inside of the mull, which was the only place we could find some shelter from the strong winds.

Wednesday morning saw us hit the beaches at the back of the bay for bass on bait. This was the third time we fished the beaches. On our 2 prior attempts, we had blanked miserably with not a single fish between five rods. This time was not too different although I did manage my first bass of the trip with a nice 4 pounder coming about 1 hour into the flood tide. Im not sure why we struggle on this mark. I know Garry and Big Cliff do exceptionally well here, but the fish just dont seem to want to play ball for us.

Wednesday night it was back to the rocks. Arriving at low tide, it seems we had missed the main action. Three lads from Middlesbrough fishing just North Of Maryport said they had around 10 bass each, all on the ebb tide.

We fished the first 3 hours of the flood. Damo landed two nice bass of around 5 pounds whilst Mike had one similar size, all on the bouncy ball and red gill method. Tonight was a story of lost fish, with Damo hooking into a monster only to loose it half way in.

Thursday was for Pollack. Big Cliff had kindly given us a mark on the Irish sea side of the mull which was well known for big fish. The mark was difficult to find at first and the climb down, not so easy. Today we had Supersonic Kev and his mate join us on the rocks, and the fish did not let us down.

From start to finish it was non stop pollack for 6 hours. The biggest of the day was Five and a half pounds. Not big fish, but not to be sniffed at either. We also lost fish much bigger. I hooked into one which was beyond control. The more I pulled up on the rod, the more the fish bent the rod. After a few seconds of fight the fish crash dived into the bottom, and that was the last I saw of it. Highly likely to be well into double figures. How on earth you can get a fish like that out of these marks is beyond me. After an hour or so, the exact same thing happened again.

Friday we really wanted to fish the Irish sea side again. Sadly the weather restricted us to the end of the Mull, underneath the foghorn where the average size of pollack seems to be much smaller. Although Mike did loose and monster. This fish crash dived for the bottom, pulling line from the real despite Mike having his drag set as tight as possible.

So that was another trip over for us. Friday night we went to the pub at Clashwhannon campsite. The food and beer were, as usual, excellent.

Whilst at the Mull, we stayed in the Stranmore Holiday Home In Drummore. This place sleeps six, its clean tidy and spaceous. Sleeps six with ease. Anyone interested can contact the owners on the following number : 07717 295 106

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View all our Mull Of Galloway Pics Here.

View all site topics on The Mull Of Galloway Here.

Stranmore Holiday Home In Drummore

2. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice post Glenn,

Looks like you all had a good trip up there. Have been following your posts on the facebook site and enjoying the pics you posted.

We were up last thursday- monday and had some ok fishing , with pollock to 6lb2oz but try as we might didnt get a sniff of the bass despite being out till 1am thus - sat. I must get the pics off the camera and put a report up.

again nice report and fishing.

Ben

3. andym

andym Rockling

What a fantastic read and some truly stunning photos great stuff well done lads

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A top class report , with lovelly fish and cracking pictures , it was nice to know you got in among those congers and decent pollack , theres some very big pollack
    cruise those rock edges on the Irish sea side , weve had hold of some monsters , we are just hoping the winds and weather is going to be kind to us when we are up there , as you said Glenn those who didnt go missed out on quite abit , well done to all of you

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice one lads hope to be up there with you next time.

photos are top class aswell.

i know damo said work was busy but he didnt need to bring the animals with him lol :laugh: :laugh:

6. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glad you all had a fab time and back home safe, I know Dan was fed up that he couldnt make it x

7. Baramundi Bob

Yeah Martin should give him time off really. Trustable, hard workers like that are hard come by.

8. rupert

rupert Blenny

Sounds like you guys had some great fishing and craic. Some fantastic scenery too, but you'd never get me near those cliffs even if I was guaranteed a 30lb pollock!

I get vertigo just looking at the photos of those descents. :scared: :scared:

9. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Like our lass say's,don't see what all the fuss is about fishing :clown:...that is a cracking report,pic's ain't bad either :wink:

10. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

What a fantastic report Glenn :cool:

Your photography always leaves me in awe and your silhouette pictures in particular are spectacularly good - do you sell pictures like those? You should, if you don't already :cheesy:

Thanks for taking the time to load all the pictures for us - it's never a quick thing to do but it makes such a difference to any report.

Oh - well done on the fishing too :laugh:

11. Baramundi Bob

Thanks for the kind words stickman. I dont sell them, I just like to share them on here and on facebook, but if anyone wants any, all they have to do is ask. People can have they want free of charge. I have lots of nice ones of Whitby too.

12. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Great report and pictures,I was following you on facebook and kept an eye on the weather.

Despite doing its best to make it hard going you still managed some nice fish.

Is that correct Mikes signed up for the next series of Strictly Come Dancing :kiss: :kiss:

13. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

great read and pictures sounds like a great weeks fishing

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Very well done to you all, Glenn, Mike ,and Damo, report and photo,s quality as usual,
    i was watching the weather forecast ,and could see you had some poor weather to contend with, :sad:

shame that some of your party missed out on the fun, and what a result meeting up with Kev and his mate ,
    that conger mark is something special Glenn, the get down can be hard to find at times through all the bracken,

i may join you next year if it falls ok with my other jolly,s :yes:
    i will be there on september the first for a week with the wife , but i will be getting for or five nights in on the bass,

Mike must be one brave fella getting in the field with that bull, :scare: it looks a mean bugger,
    glad you all got some pleasure out of your visit to the Mull,

tight lines , Harry

15. Baramundi Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedhoqYdfTM

[​IMG]

The highlight of the week. Mike doing his Morecombe and Wise Dance. Every night we sang or whistled the tune, in hope of luring more bass.

16. snatcher

snatcher Toon Toon black and white army

Great report and pictures,well done lads :happy: We head back over to our Clashwhannon caravan tomorrow for about 3 weeks. Will try and leave you a few fish for next year :wink:

John

17. Baramundi Bob

And yes. Damo is mad. I dared him to go in the field with the bull. Damo said he would go stroke it, and so he did. Funiest thing Ive seen in ages. The bull was snorting and puffing its shoulders out and Damo calmly walked up to it and said "Whats up awd lad"

[​IMG]

18. Baramundi Bob

Sadly we missed you mate. We called around a couple of times but obviously you wernt in. We may be back in late August though, so might see you then.

19. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great report and stunning pics. Fabulous, well done all of you.

20. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Had another great week up there. Great pics and report Glenn. Damo and ard lad was just so funny. We saw ard lad again yesterday morning but we didn't really fancy taming him!

One other moment that sticks in my mind was in the pub Friday night, see if this picture gives it away...

[​IMG]