1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Charter Skippers Association - 2013 Spring Angling Festival Results.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Re: Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 11-04-2013

Extremly hard work out there you dont get it any harder that was for a 40 mile round trip the algie is very heavy this year tommorow is another day so fingers crossed .

paul.

2. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Re: Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 10-04-2013

Hi Rich, Never really understood how the Algae bloom causes such frustrating times. In theory this time of year anglers use baits that give off a scent (squid/mackerel etc) to attract fish. If the algae affects the fish's ability to do this, then what on earth are they feeding on?.
    Hopefully you'll have a totally logical answer to put my mind to rest!.
    Cheers, Tony

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

in all honesty mate i dont have an answer, we tried drifting & anchoring wrecks and uptiding, plus working lots of little hotspots that produce fish on the ground.
    The algae stops the light getting through, maybe the fish dont see as clearly, the seasons are changing now and theyre not feeding the same as they do in winter in coloured water.
    i was chatting with killer this morning about it, he says hes noticed over the years how the fish dont feed as well in the dark on the wrecks.
    one thing is for sure though, once it clears its gonna come on with a bang, theres loads of big feed marks starting to gather in certain spots where we do well most of the year

4. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Re: Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 11-04-2013

I was out on the lifeboat last night and today and it is very thick and murky and very green everywhere the harbour is thick too hope it buggers of soon

5. The Ace

The Ace Fish On!

Any results for the last 2 days or did the weather win again? I'm sure I watched a boat go out on the Web Cam both days? Looking forward to Monday's trip on ShyTorque just hope the weather behaves!!

After writing I see the last 2 days results are in a different thread Doh!

Tight Lines Guys...

Tex

6. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 12-04-2013

1st-Robert Hartley-Bradford-03lb-03 1/2oz-Cod-Trot On 11
    2nd-Steve Haley-Bradford-03lb-01oz-Cod-Trot On 11
    3rd-Steve Haley-Bradford-02lb-01oz-Cod-Trot On 11

[​IMG]

7. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 12-04-2013

When will this end ????was out yesterday threw everything you can think of at them apart from dynamite, just hope there's some better weights and numbers for the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

Re: Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 12-04-2013

So when they actually DO bite, what did the lads catch em on?

9. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Well done Dolly on a clean sweep.
    It really looks as though there are some poor weights this year
    Lets hope you can find some bigger ones for us next Friday weather permitting :yes: :yes:
    Regards
    Carl

10. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Never heard of anything so poo even at this time of year. Hopefully thing can only get better.

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Its fishing very poor at the moment the algie bloom is bad fingers crossed the easterly winds are gone for now so things should improve.

paul.

12. Jimthefloat

Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 13/04/2013

1st-Bob Hislop-Manchester-04lb-06 1/2oz-Cod-Shy Torque 111
    2nd-Dave Harker-Middlesborough-04lb-04 1/2oz-Cod-Shy Torque 111
    3rd-Keith Fearnley-Easington (Hull)-03lb-03 1/2oz-Cod-Shy Torque 111

[​IMG]

13. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 13/04/2013

Looks like its still being hardwork out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. brad

brad Blenny

Re: Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 13/04/2013

I was on Jean K on sat and Kev said it was the first time in 15 years that he hadn't had either a codling or ling on a full trip with a full compliment of anglers.
    All we had was about 12 whiting and 1 pout.
    What we did notice was the number of gannets around. There must have 20 plus. Is that a sign of no fish for them either?
    As with all the skippers, full marks for trying to find the fish.
    There's always next time.

15. Jimthefloat

Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 14-04-2013

Cancelled due to weather conditions

16. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

its down to water clarity at the minute it thick as guts when it starts clearing we'll start seeing the fish again

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think the spring festival is always quite a risk for the skippers as bad years make for bad advertisement of the port..

The conditions need to be good to get the best out of the fishing here at Whitby. That means calm seas and clear water.

If you get a long spell of unsettled weather in the winter and spring then the water is often coloured, then you have to add into the equation the chances of getting an algal bloom which also knacks the fishing.

Perhaps only 1 in 4 springs give the right conditions for good fishing. When you get a bad year like this where we have had freezing weather and long periods of easterly swell, it makes it look like there isnt a fish in the sea but watch this space. April will come and go, the water will clear and it will be knee deep again.

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Maybe they dont feed at all if the algal bloom is there. Maybe its poisonous ? I know that when the dieing algea drops to the bottom its like a thick brown sludge everywhere, I would think anything down there is covered in slime for a good while.

19. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

Shame the fishing is so bad. You had better catches in your uptiding festival.

20. Jimthefloat

Whitby Spring Boat Angling Festival Results 17-04-2013

Cancelled due to weather conditions