1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Bass Club Report - More Bass And A Sleeping Seal

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Whitby Bass Club Report

With a rather dodgy forecast of 18 mph gusting westerlies myself and Mike took a chance on Sandsend. Fortunately the forecasters got it totally wrong and there wasnt a breath of wind all night.

We left Sandsend at five and Pollack was our main target. Now fishing is a funny old game and 2 weeks ago at this mark I had non stop pollack to nine pound, but today, and yesterday has been a different story.

Same conditions, if not better, nice sized ebbing tide, crystal clear water and all we could manage was ahandfull of small pollack to 3lb. Time and again we paddled back to opur favourite little mark in search of those big pollack, but they just seem to have gone completely AWOL. Like I say, its a funny old game, I get the feeling those fish are still in there, but for some reason they wernt switched on.

But all was not lost, myself and Mike tried another little venue not far away. This place has a bit more tide flow and weve had lots of bass in there in the past but for the last few years they have been absent. Tonight was different, they were back. Although not in massive numbers we managed a couple each upto 3lb, and missed the chance of several more with the rod hammering round and then they were gone.

Next something very strange happened, Well, I thought Id seen it all but tonight was another amazing experience on the kayak. Seals are funny creatures and fall asleep upright in the water. I spotted one from quite a distance away and went to see how close I could get. To my amazement myself and Mike got right upto it. Sat laughing at it for 5 mins before it woke up and buggered off. Snoring real loud it was as well.

And then to round the night of nicely, Mike paddled back to our favourite pollack spot alone as Id given up on the idea. Old Golden balls did it again with a single pollack he says would have been touching 9 to 10lb. So they are still in there. I do wonder what makes them feed at different times.

So another great nights fishing and a funny encounter with a seal. Hoping to get out again tomorrow but if the weather doesnt allow, the next fishing we will be doing is north of the border as the lads are heading to the mull early Saturday morning.

Heres the pics with a few from last night also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Saw the pics on Facebook- nice work.
    Has the Thunderstick started working again for you?

3. Baramundi Bob

No, the thunderstick has been pants. But never stop believing in the power of the stick

4. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As you say, seals are strange creatures. Fished saint Mary's island near Whitley bay alone at night last week. As the tide was ebbing, moved my rod stand and rod onto a lower rock, after grabbing my bag and putting it next to stand, I was stood there pitch black bar my headlight watching my rod tip and heard a snore/grunt. Nearly died, swung my headlight around to see a seal about 3 metres from me. It just sat there watching me fish for about half a hour. Before it decided to take a swim.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

That sleeping seal is brilliant...lol

The 5th photo is a Gilby rival , golden/bronze scales on the bass great shot ! Thanks for sharing the pictures. :cool:

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Fantastic report and cracking pictures once again.. Well done all.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Brilliant photos. I have shown the seal pics to the rest of the family and they are quite funny after reading the story. Overall there are some fantastic pics and if they don't inspire anyone to get a kayak I don't know what will, well done Glenn, and thanks for sharing them.

8. Baramundi Bob

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, its nice to get appreciative comments, as Im sure your aware it takes quite some time to process and upload the pics.

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Some lovely pics and quality fish, well done

10. rupert

rupert Blenny

I never knew that about sleeping seals!

Some stunning pics of your session too. :yes:

Do you cast or troll the plugs?

11. Baramundi Bob

Hi Rupert, we do both. Only recently did I realise that there are times and places for both. A mark me and Mike know at Sandsend you can only catch pollack by casting. You can troll over and over them for hours and not get much at all. But stop and cast on the drift and you get them every cast.

Mike says they dont like the noise disturbance. I just dont understand it.

Any thoughts and theories welcomed ??

12. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Re: Whitby Bass Club Report - More Bass And A Sleeping Seal

I'll add my thanks too! Great report and whilst my own fishing time is severely limited, posts and reports like yours keep me inspired and will be the reason I will have to make time in the future.

That seal is great, never knew they slept in the water, always thought they hauled out first!

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

13. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Re: Whitby Bass Club Report - More Bass And A Sleeping Seal

Just a thought on the trolling/drifting thing, would the troll be faster than a drift?

I reckon that you can't retrieve a lure slowly enough for Pollock, the slower the better. I'm sure Mike said some thing similar when I was chatting to him about pollocks.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

14. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Another fine report n pictures Glenn . Can't wait to get out of sands end my self in the next few weeks . Thanx for sharing .
    John .

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Glenn do you always use plugs when targeting pollock ? Have you not had much success with soft plastics (jellies/eels) or is it that you will take bass as well ? Just wondered why plugs or is it that you are over shallow edges and the plug works beter than a plastic would ?

16. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dave, when we first started fishing there we were targetting bass as there was lots there, one session I had 22, and then slowly we noticed in certain places we were getting pollack as well. Never in the same place as the bass but always close by, like where a ledge dropped off for example. Then we realsied that pollack fought as well if not better than bass, and there was the chance of a few big ones every season. So pollacking became an obsession.

So we just stuck with the method we had found. Ive tried soft plastics but dont seem to get the same level of enjoyment from it. Having said that I dont enjoy it one bit when a pollack gets to the kelp with a £15 plug.

Ive also done a lot of freelining and floati fishing live baits, but I always think I dont get the exercise doing that, and I certainly need the excercise to keep the weight off.

You zuri crystal minnow has always been the plug of choice for me. Ive had bass, pollack, colaies, mackerel, cod and even a salmon on it.

Lately we have used some big jellyworms but I soon loose interest. Maybe I should try them more often when the fish are switched on.

17. Baramundi Bob

Ive experinced that, SOMETIMES, Mike barely moves when he is paddling and in honesty hes had the bigger fish with 1 double boated and a massive one of around 15lb right at the side of the yak, but Ive had many to around 9.5lb so Im not getting all the small ones either.

But there have been some times when Ive paddled faster and outdone Mike by a ratio of like 15 to 1, and then there have been times he has done the same to me. There have also been nights where we caught similar amounts from different techniques and different plugs. So I think the evidence is inconclusive on that one.

With regards to fishing on the drift. Its not the speed of the drift but the speed of you reteive at. Again Ive had them at a very very slow rate of retreive and Ive had them where you wind as fast as you can. I would certainly say Ive had the majority with a very slow retreive though so I would agree with you there. Interesting thoughts though and I certainly feel there is something in what you say, but maybe not quite black and white.

At the moment I just vary my approach to suite whats happening.

18. Baramundi Bob

They swim from here to Norway, they often sleep on the way. When Ive been off with killer Ive seen them fast asleep about 20 mile off the coast. Such a great predator and master of its environment is fast asleep and not even aware your there.

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I m not a lover of trolling. Plus the better fish I ve had have come to casting an eddystone eel and then carefully working the lure. Nearly always finding the hit comes as I pause and let the eel fall. Having said that my experiences are not as often as yours. :cool: