1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Bass Club On The Isle Of Skye 2014 Week 2

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Week Two Staying At Pooltiel House, Loch Pooltiel - Glenn, Faron, Mike, Kev, Quint, Joe And Miff

Read About Week One And Dans Brittish Record Commen Skate Here

Isle Of Skye Slideshow (Requires PC With Flash Installed).

HTML:
    <div style="width:800px;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://photos.gstatic.com/media/slideshow.swf" width="800" height="533" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&captions=1&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F111636410475004079009%2Falbumid%2F5937360901946187009%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></div><span style="float:left;"><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/111636410475004079009/IsleOfSkyeSeaFishingAndPhotographyByGlennKilpatrick?authuser=0&feat=flashalbum" style="color:#3964c2">View all</a></span><div style="text-align:right;"><a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/getEmbed?feat=flashalbum" style="color:#3964c2">Get your own</a></div></div>
    Further Reading On The Isle Of Skye And Whitby Bass Club

Day One (Saturday)

Woke at 6 by the noise of the lads leaving to go back to Whitby. Seeing some of the lads go made me feel rather demotivated. But after such an awesome week it was always going to be difficult to go into a second week without some of your closest friends.

That said, the atmosphere in the camp is now much improved with the arrival of three good lads in Joe, Kev and Quint. Non stop noise and mayhem has now turned to relaxation and peace in the new cottage.

Today we have concentrated mostly on moving to our new cottage overlooking Milovaig harbour. This place is a stunning, modern, open plan cottage with amazing views over the mouth of Loch Pooltiel.

In the evening, myself and Miff stayed home and chilled whilst the lads went fishing. Iain and Faron went for an easy night on Milovaig pier and managed not much more than a few mackerel.

Kev, Mike and Joe paddled the kayaks out onto loch Pooltiel and by all accounts had an amazing night on the pollack. Nothing massive but stacks of pollack upto the 5lb mark with Joes new pb being the biggest of the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Two (Sunday) Ardtreck Point Shore Fishing And Loch Pooltiel Kayak Fishing

Today the group split and did different things. Iain (Quint), Faron, Kev, Joe And Miff headed to Ardtreck Point on Loch Brachadale in search of Thornbacks, Mike opted for a day off fishing and headed upto the area around The Old Man Of Storr for a day walking and sightseeing. I opted to stay home and chill.

Mike returned at teatime and the others were still away fiwhing so we decided for an evening Kayak Fishing under the cliffs on the far side of Loch Polltiel.

We had a cracking nights fishing with a stack of pollack and some really good ones to boot. Mike had about 30 pollack with the biggest going roughly 8lb. I had less fish but my biggest must have been into double figures I would expect. sadly I had left my scales in my shore bag so I have no way to confirm that but having caught pollack at nine and a half pounds I would say this one was certainly considerably bigger. Most of The Fish were taken on the old faithful Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow F8 Floater. This plug really does seem to outfish anything else you can put in the water when it comes to kayak fishing for Pollack.

When we got back to the cottage the others had tea waiting for us. Kev had cooked a fantatsic chirozo casserole along with Garlic bread which went down a treat. The guys told us about their days fishing which had been by no means prolific but Quint had managed a double figure Thornback along with a decent Spurdog and the others had caught mackerel and dogfish in good numbers. Perhaps not the best days fishing, but you cant complain at a double figure fish from the shore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Three (Monday), Idrigill Point

Week one was plagued by bad weather and strong winds so some of the groups objectives could not be met. One of those objectives was to fish Idrigill point which is roughly 3 to 4 miles from the nearest road, meaning a considerable walk or paddle to get there.

The forecast for Monday was for light winds and clear skies. As we sat eating breakfast we looked at the map and decided to head for Idrigill. Myself Kev and Joe opted for the kayaks, Mike Faron and Ian took what they say was the harder option (Debateable) and went in on foot.

The paddle down loch bracadale was simply awesome which made up for the fact it was roughly a 2 and a half hour paddle to Idrigill. The view was simply amazing (To be honest there isnt an ugly part to this island), Sea stacks and caves made the long paddle and absolute delight with a bonus pollack or 2 taking the trolled plugs along the way.

Once at Idrigill we found Mike and the lads fishing the shelves right on the point. Sadly it became clear the mood of thier group had dipped, it seems the long walk in had hit them hard and the motivation to fish had drained for them. Had this been last week, the presence of Dan and Damo and thier limtless enthusiasm to catch fish on unknown grounds would have made all the difference, but sadly they left us Saturday morning.

The lads on the kayaks paddled on and once again were met by the most amazing scenery. Mcleaods Maidens, a group of large sea stacks came into view, and silohetted against a dark blue sky looked simply awesome.

We spent a few hours fishing near the maidens and caught a lot of pollack upto the 7 lb mark. We then started the long paddle back to Orbost where we had left the car. On the way back in we were accompanied by a large pod of bottlenose dolphins which at times surrounded our kayaks. What an awesome experince that was.

Back on shore we met up with Mike and the lads who said the walk had been very difficult and the fishing perhaps not as good as expected. However with Dolphins jumping fully out of the water in front of them and pollack to 8lbs Im sure it's a days fishing they wont forget for a very long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Four (Tuesday), Bracadale Point, Roag Island And Loch Pooltiel

Today, Mike, Faron, Ian and Kev opted for a shore session on Bracadale point and then onto Roag Island. The fishing was said to be slow with only a handful of fish to show for the day. Iain managed a nice conger and spurdog whilst the others struggled.

Joe took the day off fishing and Miff went to sort out his car which had been hit by a deer. I decided on a late afternoon kayak launch on loch Pooltiel and I was not disapointed with the results. I must of had roughly 30 to 40 pollack with some excellent fish. Sadly I did not have my sacles with me but would estimate 2 of them to be well over the 10lb mark. Kev joined me on the water after his return from the days shore fishing and he was in on the action too with pollack upto double figures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

great start to the week for kev and joe

3. Baramundi Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd3Ks9tIvNU&feature=youtu.be

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

those dolphins are unbelievable mate

5. Baramundi Bob

Your skate made the daily mail mate. Only thing is, they took my pictures without crediting them to me. Ive taken it up with the stealing bastards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2701218/The-one-got-weigh-Biggest-fish-caught-Britains-shores-heavier-gorilla.html?login&validation_fe_uri=%2Fregistration%2Fp%2Fapi%2Ffield%2Fvalidation%2F&base_fe_url=http%3A%2F%2Fdailymail.co.uk%2F&isMobile=false&check_user_fe_uri=registration%2Fp%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fuser_check%2F#newcomment

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done lads (and specifically Dan)- not only did you go record smashing, you got something worth reading printed in the Daily Mail- an amazing feat!

7. Baramundi Bob

A great nights kayak fishing with several double figure pollack. Heres Kev with his new PB.

[​IMG]

8. congerball

congerball Blenny

Now that's a big Pollock! Well done on the new PB. Monster!!

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

What can you say...... Absolutely fantastic lads.. Can see the angling tourism on Skye doubling next year. Time to open a decent tackle shop up there..

10. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks awesome in kayaks lads, great catch kev. Missing you all and Skye. Enjoy the remainder of your time and the sun!!

11. Willy Eckerslike

Willy Eckerslike Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Stunning photography, forgotten how beautiful it is up there. 8)

12. Baramundi Bob

Kev and Mike have been kayaking with a Minke whale this morning. They say Whales and Dolphins rounded up all the herring and pushed them into the loch before eating them. Faron said he could have touched the Minke Whale that swam next to him.

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

any footage?

14. Baramundi Bob

No footage and no photo's. Wish I had been there.

15. Baramundi Bob

Mike had 3 double figure Pollack this morning biggest was 12lb 08 oz. I had 2 last night, one must have been over 14lb and another around 11lb. Must of had another 10 around the 8lb mark. The venue we have found is stuffed with huge pollack.

16. congerball

congerball Blenny

Sounds like you've found a right spot!! That's an incredible haul of monsters! Bet they gave a hell of a scrap.

17. Baramundi Bob

Been again tonight. Biggest went 8lbs this time, shore and Kayak. We paddled Farron and Quint over and left them on the shore whilst me and Mike went fishing on the yak. Picked them up on way back.