1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Bass Club Hit The Mull

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Whitby Bass Club Report

Related Reading

All our pics from the mull - here

All Mull Of Galloway topics - Here

Day One

Having read the fantastic reports of Garry, Alan, Andy Harry and the lads I have been keen to visit the Mull Of Galloway for several years. I spoke to Mike and Farron at the start of the summer and they were keen to get over there and give it a shot too.

Our trip began at lunchtime on bank holiday Monday. The long five hour drive saw us arrive at the Clashwhannon caravan park in Drumore at 5pm. We had booked a 6 birth caravan at a price of £350 for 5 nights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick bite to eat whilst studying the information giving to us by many of the site members and then we headed out for our first nights fishing.

Our chosen mark was an area of rough ground on the mull. The mark was very different to anything we have experienced in this area. We were met by a mix of small boulders, sand, wrack weed and spits of rocks that ran out into the bay.

What became instantly obvious was the huge amount of bait available in the bay. There was crabs, worms, Butterfish, shrimps, sandeels, and even maggots all living on the foreshore. The reason bass swim here was clear.

We started fishing in daylight on a small spit of land that jutted out into the sea. We had prepared some bouncy ball rigs as directed by GJW and the lads. However our confidence in this alien method was low and we all opted for plugs instead.

After roughly 30 minutes without a touch, Mike who is the most observant of the lads said he had seen fish boiling about 500 yards away. A quick move and we were into fish.

I had opted for the storm jointed thunderstick. A plug that had worked for us well a couple of years ago had not seen any action for the last couple of years. As soon as it hit the water at distance there was a big splash as a bass hit the lure and moved off at speed to our right.

It was soon clear this was a good sized fish and I had a struggle to land it through the wrack weed. It was great to be into our first mull of galloway bass, and as we watched the fish swim around our legs it became clear to us that the mull of galloway is a very special place indeed.

Unfortunately we had no scales so we could not weigh the fish, however we estimated it to be around 6 or 7 pounds. a quick bang on the head and Tuesdays dinner was placed into the fish bag.

Two more fish fell to the storm jointed thunderstick that night, one of roughly 5 pounds and another of around the three pound mark. It was clear the stamp of fish at this mark were of a higher average size than anything we were accustomed to back home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Two

Tuesday morning saw us digging worms on the beach at Drumore. Then after breakfast we headed for the tackle shops of Ardwell and Stranraer. Mike and Farron both had leaking waders so a new pair were on the top of their lists.

The bass fishing on the mull involves standing waist deep in water for long periods of time, so a good waterproof pair of waders is essential.

Whilst in the tackle shops the friendly staff their marked up our OS map with all the local marks and what species we could expect to catch there.

Tuesday afternoon we headed for the deep water marks underneath the foghorn at the end of the mull. We had not taken any bait with us so it was lure fishing only, which turned out to be rather slow with only a couple of small pollack being caught.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at the caravan we enjoyed an evening feast. We cooked up my largest bass and a variety of fresh veg. Ive never been a lover of bass, but Mikes cooking skills were something else and we all had clean plates.

The evenings fishing saw us back at the same rocky mark as the night before. Sadly the fish did not play ball tonight and we returned back to the caravan downhearted but certainly not beaten.

We were now joined by our friends Tom (big) and Tom (Little) who had traveled up to meet us. Neither had any experience of bass fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Three

An early morning bait fishing for bass across the sands of Luce Bay held great promise. A telephone call to Harry the cod put us on the right mark.

Again this was different to anything we had experienced back home. Fishing here involved wading out into the water and fishing lug and crab baits across the sands.

Once again the fish did not play ball for us with only a flounder to show for 2 hours fishing between five rods. Having looked back at the pics of GJW and the guys it is clear we were in the right place, however the fish just did not show. I guess you cant catch on every trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was an afternoon session on the west side of the mull. The terrain here is significantly different to that of the peninsula's east coast. Dramatic steep cliffs plunge into 30 foot of water, these marks are all about pollack, wrasse,conger and other deeper water species.

Fishing here is much easier with numerous ledges providing natural fishing platforms. A few hours fishing saw us into a multitude of species including Bull Huss, Wrasse and Pollack.

[​IMG]

The evening saw us on a different bass mark. The guy in the tackle shop in Ardwell had recommended a schoolie mark around a place called Tirelly bay.

We were met by the stillest night of our trip, there was not a breath of wind nor a ripple on the water. We spread out across the rock foreshore with Farron and the 2 Toms staying near the car and myself and Mike optinf for a hike a little further afield.

A very eerie night saw us land five bass, all schoolies. Farron and Mike had 2 each and young Tom had his first ever bass. Our confidence in the bouncy ball method was still low and most of the fish fell to plugs. However Mike had managed his first ever bass on the bouncy ball rig using a jet black red gill fished on a 7 foot trace behind the ball.

Day Four

After our blank on the beach the day before I had spoke to a very surprised Andy Stonehouse who suggested we try again earlier in the tide.

We arrived bright and early and dug our bait. We fished hard once again, however it wasn't to be and five rods drew a blank for the second day running.

Although the fishing had been poor, the early morning session was made more than worthwhile as we watched an Osprey fishing in the mouth of a local estuary.

The evening session saw us bass fishing on the same mark we had hit for the first 2 nights. The larger stamp of fish here had more than wet our appetite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had decided to give the bouncy ball method a good go and the plops and splashes could be heard as the five of us spread out along the foreshore.

Mike was the first into action with 3lb bass nailing his black red gill. Mike soon had a second in the bag, and I had lost 3 off in the same time span. Farron just to my right then managed a couple by the same method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the tide pushed us off our marks we headed back to a spit of land where we had left both Toms. Neither had a fish and I felt a little sorry for them as I cast in and got one first go.

A short move back towards the car saw us into more bass. The best fish from this mark being for Tom Brodrick who landed his PB bass of exactly 5 pounds usning the bouncy ball method and a black sidewinder eel fished on a long trace.

This was our best nights fishing with all the lads managing bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Five

Friday was our last day on the mull. Most of the lads were tiring by this point so we opted for a lie in. Our final days fishing started at a mark between the end of the mull and east tarbat. The strong south westerly wind had put the Irish sea marks out of bounds for us today.

Mike gathered up our bait in the form of makerel and we settled in to five hour fishing around high tide. The session yelded many species including Bull Huss, Mackeral, Wrasse, Pollack and one very big pollack for Mike.

Mike had opted for a flat platform of rocks nearer east tarbet. On the very last cast of the day he hit into a very large conger.

Mike guided the fish to the edge and I climbed down to get it. Sadly as I went to lift the fish onto the rocks the trace snapped.

We had no way to tell the size of this fish, however myself and Mike have looked at pics of Garrys 18lber from earlier in the year. At a guess we would say that the congter Mike hooked would be in the region of 25 to 30 pounds. Sadly we never got it onto the rocks, but it was still an awesome site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The evenings fishing was a non event. The bass just didn't show and the heavy rain made for uncomfortable fishing.

All in all we had a great week. The fishing was as prelific as we had hoped, however the Mull did show us glimpses of what it has to offer.

At a cost of roughly £200 (Petrol, accommodation and food) for 5 days fishing we consider it to be great value for money and we will certainly be back for more next summer.

The Whitby Bass Club would like to thank all members of this forum who gave us help and advice. You know who you are, and without your assistance Im sure our trip wouldn't have been half as enjoyable as it was.

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

Awsome , glad yous had a good week glen , Did you see the mull tidal rip in full swing ?

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice report Glenn, you've had some good fish out there mate. Shame you didn't get a few more, Harry and Gary make it look so easy in their reports don't they, just shows how much effort they've put in up there.

Still, I bet you've learned plenty, and have loads of ideas for next time. I'm already looking forward to getting back up there with some new plans :yes:

Yeah Dav that tides rip's shocking. You've gotta be down lagvag to really see its power though lol made that mistake once first time we were down and never again :laugh:

4. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

cracking report & pictures Kev if you think the tide race looks bad try crossing it in a boat great fun full thottle and hang on :laugh: :laugh: only ever did it once tightlines Alain

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nearly forgot the mouse

[​IMG]

6. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant report Glenn, you got some nice bass there well done! :cool:
    I gave it a shot under the foghorn last (bank holiday) monday morning but just had 2 smallish pollack and a wrasse on jellyworms.

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Nice pictures Glenn. And great report. Well done to u all on the fish.

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Great report and excellent pictures Glenn,it sounds like you've all been hooked by the lure of the Mull.

So many different fish species and places to fish it would have been real easy to spend a week up there just chasing shadows without doing some prior homework.

You've had some nice fish and as you say what better way to spend a week,away with your mates and fellow anglers enjoying the scenery,fishing and craic.

I bet you all feel like just putting your feet up and relaxing for a few days now :happy: :happy:

9. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report as ever and glad you all enjoyed your first trip to the mull it is one hell of a place.Shame about mikes big conger same has happened to me a few times up there all my big ones have snapped on the lift think the only way to stop that is to use wire but would damage the fish to much.
    That will be you hooked now and there every year like us you will need to take the kayaks next time. :yes:

10. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Great report Glenn, well done on the fish.........

11. stik

stik Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Iv fished most of the marks mentioned and pictured ..Its just great to be there .. Special place, agreed, you can feel it.
    Its all good education, reading of your adventure's... feel like driving over there right now ! Well done lad's.
    A good read.

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good report there Glenn and well done to all of you , the thing with the Pollack is they tend to favour the flooding tides and one mark
    that really brings this point home is the foghorn , once the tide gets back one hour of Ebb you can forget it , but Ive had superb fishing
    on the flood with Pollack to 9lb and ive been smashed up with much bigger fish , its a big learning curve , but its a beautiful area to take
    lessons in , once more well done

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I was just looking at the photos by the foghorn , we fish a different area to where you were , further to the right

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well Glen , you and the lads worked hard for your fish,
    and all though it wasnt at it,s best you still got your rewards,

that block of concrete with the bass on it is printed in my mind ,
    it is the same place matty got his pb, :yes: , there aint a lot of concrete around there :laugh: think there is an old engine nearby as well,

it would have been great to see a photo of the conger, sounds like it was a bellter,
    you have to stick at the bouncy ball method mate it doe's work well,

may have a run up there with you next year ,
    as Garry says , your more than welcome to join us ,

well done on a cracking report and photographs all of you maybee see you there next year :cool:

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well I am really pleased you all enjoyed your Mull experience. It is a truly magical place and you all did extremely well considering it was your first venture, not that I expected any less from you lads..

The photographs and report are superb Glenn maybe next time you go there will be a double figure bass with your name on..

Like Dav said did you see the tidal run on the end of the Mull (Lagvag) in full flow... Awesome sight to be seen.

Tightlines.

16. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done and some good fish ,cant wait for my next one
    its a magical place

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

fantastic lads, some brilliant fishing.

hope to be with you next year

18. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Glenn, worth the trip up! Gives me itchy feet for a trip....!

Well done to all for some quality fish.

WillW

19. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    Great report Glenn, looks like you all had a great trip. Great photos too, I like the first photo with Mikes Discovery......you couldn't fit much more in there!!

Great stuff, Regards Ian

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well done lads, really is a lovely place to fish as your pics showed. Wish I could of had a trip up there this year, maybe next year :yes: That tide on the mull point is something else as well, you wouldn't want to yak fish it!