1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Autumn Angling Festival 1-14th Septemeber Inclusive

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Misso

Misso Blenny

It does not look to bad at the moment for tes wed next week, if you look at the boat fishing section you should find the second entry down has a 14 outlook for Whitby.
    Save the big fish for me, I am out with Trot On on the Thursday.

2. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

:happy:

Save some big ones for me also, As I'm out on Paul's Trot On on Thurs and Fri next week
    Any news of the first few days results yet???
    :cool: :cool:

3. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Just ordered some lug from Rods & Reels, and the chap in the shop said the biggest fish so far is a cod of just over 8lb. So it's all to play for lads!!! :happy:

4. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Is there still no further news on what's being caught??? The suspense is killing me!!! Can someone please put me and others out of our misery??? :blindfold:

5. Misso

Misso Blenny

I was talking to Paul two days ago and he states that an 8lb fish is winning, with the smaller tides due next week hopefully one treble the size of that should show :yes:
    Fazbats i have jus checked the forecast for next Thusdy and Friday and according to the met office weather they are claiming gales coming in from the west. :cry:
    Hopefull that its wrong as i am only aloud out three times a year and thats to fish the festivals.

6. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Hi Misso. Agreed it aint looking good for next thurs and fri, with winds of up to 19mph on thurs afternoon and 21mph around noon on fri, according to Metcheck. Mon to Weds still look okay though, with 13mph the highest during this period. :wink:

7. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Just had a word with John Wilford of Two Doggs. He said he's not been out since Weds due to bad weather, and cancelled today due to forecast gusts of up to 31 mph. Said he wished he hadn't though, as there's virtually no wind and the weather's "beautfiul". It seems we're not the only ones having trouble predicting what the north sea is going to chuck at us next, but Johns gut feel is that he'll be getting out a lot more next week. Not sure whether that 8lb cod has been trumped yet!? :confused:

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

He couldnt have gone out today mate. Theres 10 foot of northerly swell rolling in :wink:

9. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Don't think I would have liked to have been off today out of Whitby,the seas huge at Redcar.It was blowing its t~ts off this morning when I came home from work eased off at lunchtime then freshened again this afternoon.I think he made the right call cancelling :yes: :yes:

10. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

It looks as thought the beach gear will be coming with me. :wink: :wink:
    180 mile round trip to Whitby for me So I don't want to travel for nothing, Either way, The wife is left at home (peace and quiet) and I get to go fishing. Hope Met office gets it wrong again though.... :scare:

11. Misso

Misso Blenny

The weather watch at the moment has taken over my life,5 days to go and everyweather site that i have visited shows different wind speed.
    Can the forecasters get it right 5 days in advance?
    Magic weed gives an 11mph, whilst the BBC and metoffice are showing 19mph for thursday.
    Who do i believe :sad:

12. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Misso, You will have to leave it to the weather gods and hopefully they will smile down on us for Thursday.
    :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
    Spoke to Paul this morning 12lb Ling winning so far....

13. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

I know where you're coming from fazbats. Its a 550 mile round trip for me and my mate Steve, and about the same figure in monetary cost :scare:. If we do get out Tues/Weds, we'll be chucking makerel flappers at them ling like there's no tomorrow :laugh:.

14. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

When we got back into port on tuesday afternoon on trot-on, word had it that a 17lb ling had been caught on Sea-Otter2. Is this fish still winning the festival?

15. mikefish

mikefish Blenny

23 pound ling caught today.

16. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

what boat caught it?

17. mikefish

mikefish Blenny

I think it was trot on.

18. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I thought my old man may have pulled it out of the bag on the last day!!!

19. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Good comment. If anyone can answer it I'd like to meet them. I always think if you want to go fishing you will find a weather site that gives favourable weather. If you don't wan't to go you will find one that gives crap weather.

We were boat fishing 14 miles from launch (probs about 8 miles from land) this year. Looking back towards land the chimney at Boulby had the steam bent at 90 degrees so it was very windy there. The stacks at Wilton ICI were going straight up. It stayed like that for at least 4 hours.

I would say it's impossible to predict the weather on even a 10 mile stretch of coast accurately.

wildcard

20. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

I would just like to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed participating in this years Autumn festival. The hospitaility and friendliness we "Southerners" encountered in Whitby was absolutely first rate, from the skippers, to the tackle shop owners, publicans, everyone we met. I didn't quite get amongst the prize money on the two days I fished, but was well chuffed with the cod to 8lbs and ling to 10lbs I managed as a Whitby first-timer. Roll-on April '09 I say - I'll be back!