1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Autumn Angling Festival 1-14th Septemeber Inclusive

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

14 days of boat fishing from Whitby starting on the 1st September 2008. More details, results and pictures to follow........

2. Father Ted

Father Ted New Member

will any of the boats have spaces for single anglers. Have you a list of contacts.

3. Baramundi Bob

Yes the majority will have spaces.

Check out this page for a list of numbers :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/whitby-boat-fishing.php

:wink:

4. Misso

Misso Blenny

good luck to all those who are entering the festival as of tomorrow, hoping weather stays good, as I am out on Trot on on the 11th.
    cannot wait

5. Misso

Misso Blenny

does anyone know the results of the first day of the festival?

6. Baramundi Bob

Sorry not as yet. I couldnt get down this evening after work. I was told only 3 boats had gone out this morning due to the strong winds today.

Hopefully have some updates fro you soon :happy: :happy:

7. yorkslad

yorkslad New Member

any boats get out today ,im supposed to be out in morning on trot on,so fingers crossed.and good fishing to everyone who enters

8. Misso

Misso Blenny

I have just checked the forecast for tomorrow and not looking to good, I am also booked to go out with paul next Thursday and my fingers have been crossed sinced i booked, I have looked forward on the 14 day forecast and if it remains as it is now i should be OK plus with the small tides around the 11th then save your money all, the Autumn festivals mine :yes: :yes: :yes:

9. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Yeah, I can't wait to get stuck in either. Me and a pal are coming up from London to fish this festival - out with Two Dogs next Tues and Shytorque on Weds. Dont want to speak too soon, but the forecast sounds good, with winds down to between 4 and 10 mph by then, and neap tides. Have bought plenty of shads. What colour is best for Whitby? Blue and orange seem to work best for the cod down here, or at least off Newhaven. Also, are there any pubs in Whitby where anglers tend to meet after the fishing?

10. Misso

Misso Blenny

My plan is to fish bait all day, with a small treble attached at the top of the bait with elasticated cotton to keep it in place..

P.S anyone know how the first two days have fished.

11. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Should be some good ling around soon. A big fresh mackeral flapper fished over slack water might just bring you the money. I like it when they circle as they come up - the bigger the circle the greater chance to win the jackpot. Hope you do well.

wildcard

12. Baramundi Bob

Hi Basshunter. The favoured shad colour this summer has been Pink and Crystal Tiger. In the summer the skippers themselves could get enough of the pink ones. I was also told the winning fish in the festival was on a crystal tiger shad.

This time of year things can change though and as Wildcard says the bigger ling will usually favour mackerel baits. A recent posts by one forum member told how lugworm had been the only thing to catch fish on one trip last week.

The best bet is to have as many options open to you as possible. Take bait, jigs, shads and anything else you can think of.

13. Misso

Misso Blenny

Glenn any news onm the last two days?

14. Baramundi Bob

Not as yet mate. I just havent had the opportunity to call down and see the lads. Too much going on at the moment. Hopefully get to see Paul tomorrow evening and get an update.

15. Misso

Misso Blenny

Thanks, looking at he 3 weather sites that were posted in the boat fishing section the weather has not looked to good, I look out of my window this morning but struggled to see the coast due to the hill fog, plus the fact that live in Nottingham also posed a problem

16. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

hi bass hunter ,iphoned john if he had any other dates available on two dogs ,we use him all the time and were off with him on the monday 8th with our club from work,but i wanted to have another go he mention a part boat tues or thurs we opted for thurs been shift workers or we could of been with you guys on the tues
    last night john had a spare 4 places for the tues so give him a ring those who need the odd day s fishing ,hope you get a trip
    gibbo

17. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys - agreed that shads dont tend to fish well after the sea has been stirred-up, which is bound to be the case after this week, so I'll invest in some bait too. PS we will probably now have a spare bed in our holiday cottage, right in the centre of Whitby, if anyone wants it from 8th to 11th Sept. Will confirm tonight if anyone is interested.

18. wildcard

wildcard Guest

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The biggest fish caught in the summer competition was a cod, but I reckon this one will be won with a big ling so I would target them myself. Your skipper is as keen as anyone to see someone on his boat win the top prize so take advantage of his skills and knowledge. Don't be afraid to make yourself look amateurish by asking rudimentary questions about tactics. He knows the area you will fish better than anyone.

wildcard

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

We had a cod just over 17lb 2 weks ago i am sure there is chance of another 20lb plus cod but looking at the weather forcast for the next week it could spook it if we get a big swell last week our best ling on the boat went over 21lb so big ling are now cruiseing around.

paul.

20. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Having real difficulty finding consistent weather reports for next Tues and Weds. Wouldn't normally dwell on it, but we're coming all the way from London, and a lot of investment has been made in accommodation, petrol, etc. Everything is crossed!!! :whatever: