1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby - Are We favouring Tourists Over Locals ??

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Baramundi Bob, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Question By Whitby's Ian Dixon

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/favouring-tourists-locals

2. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Scarborough Council is shafting everybody.
    All this new parking scheme money will go directly to Scarborough.
    Whitby will not see a penny of this money.
    The East pier extension is still closed (since 2001)
    The Harbour needs urgent repairs.
    The list goes on and on.

3. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just been to take deisel with dolly. its dangerous more than anything else
    amount of harbour fees they rake in every year you would at least think they would provide somewhere half decent to fuel up..... its going to take someone to get hurt before anything is done....
    SHOCKING electric on pontoon has never worked since went in either ..... where I live they spent 1000s intalling a security door never worked since got installed and been ripped off now by pissed up tourists ..... list is endless...

4. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Come upto Whitby for the festival on Saturday. Arrived at 05.30 to what can only be described as a complete tip. There was rubbish strewn all over the streets.

The road sweepers arrived and I said to him with a smile on my face I don't envy you lads where do you start. Guess what his reply was .........no I can't wait for you xxckers to F off in November ? What a welcome from the SBC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

He doesn't realise without "you xxckers" he wouldn't have a job mate the muppet.

6. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Theres a clear cycle here which has played out across the country, its nothing new and nothing will be done about it (least of all by the council who are soley interested in the quick money they can generate NOW with no thought of the future)

here is the cycle

A Town becomes popular, it deservedlly attracts tourists, tourists require feeding, beer, entertainment, accomodation, tourists like the area so much that they buy some of the local housing for a "bolt hole", house rates rise....local wages do not!, locals get priced out and move away, very few locals remain to serve the tourists, businesses close down as owners retire or give up, tourists move away, town fails horribly and becomes a shadow of its former self.

Give it 10 years and we'll peak then fall, look at blackpool as a perfect example of this cycle, or along the coast to ther former booming seaside towns, its bleak but inevitable

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

That can also be said for any of the once employment rich areas around the country which inevitably leads to people moving away to find employment elsewhere and then settling there or travelling home weekly or so. Either way they need accommodation. Sadly there is more employment opportunities away from the area. In this area we are truly blessed with all the advantages and good things we have, sadly we are cursed with the lack of full time employment opportunities.