1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Angling Festivals 2014 - No Photographs From Jim The Float

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mick Gibson, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can we ask why Jim has been banned from posting his photographs on the forum, I always thought that he had done a good job providing the results at the end of each day accompanied by photographs of the winning festival catches.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: No Photographs From Jim The Float

Yes Jim did an amazing Job, and as a friend of mine Im saddened they have put him in that situation. Truth be known there has been a lot of bitterness floating around in WCSA for quite some time. It arose about the time Paul Kilpatrick stood down as Chairman. From memory exactly the same situation arose when Paul stood down last time as well. I have been sniped at on Facebook and lots of other dirty tricks.

The short story, they want to promote the festival themselves - "Nothing personal, its all about Google Rankings" I was told. The long story, They don't like the coverage Sea Otter 2, Trot On, Mistress And Libby get on here, despite the fact the forum has always been open to them all.

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hmm, sounds like they're just about to throw the baby out with the bathwater

I always thought Jim did a first class job in promoting the WCSA as a hole on here with some excellent shots of the winning fish and angler, my guess is that the festivals and the WSCA will suffer due to there being no one else willing to meet the boats at weigh in time and take pics and write up a quick round up

4. Baramundi Bob

Hi Brian, that isnt quite the case. WCSA will be promoting their festival themselves on the internet. Jim will be taking pictures for them still, but has been told he must not post them here. Only found out via people who were at the meeting and had to check if what I was hearing was true with The WCSA Chairman.

I have been told I can still go to the weigh in myself, stand side by side with Jim and photograph the winners and write down the results but he cant post his or give them to me. I was told - "Its not personal, Its all about Google Rankings". The four boats who post on the forum have promised exclusive reports and pictures to the forum so we still have that.

Given the amount of free photograph's I have taken for wcsa, running about for them, writing free press releases etc I find It totally disgusting. But given what i have been hearing and reading from certain parties recently I must say Im not surprised. As Ive said before, i believe there is a lot more to this than Google rankings. It cant have gone unnoticed that the 4 boats who use this forum get a lot more business than the rest. Rather than joining in and using the forum they have turned against it.

5. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

Oh god, how petty and childish does that sound. I wouldnt even bother Glenn. I was going to book on but think Ill give it a miss, they dont deserve my business. Who is in charge of WCSA these days, I hadnt realised Paul had left. The people running the show need a rocket up their aasses

6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for making that clearer Glenn. Think the position that the association have taken is a backward step though, they now need to have to have a dedicated web site, webmaster and hosting fees etc. when they could have and should have used this forum to build up each skippers profile

Seem to remember not too many years ago when the association was about on its arse, no publicity , no web presence, falling angler numbers and boats dropping out of the WCSA, that changed when you actively started promoting the WCSA as a whole, individual skippers cottoned on early to how important it was to make use of the forum and self promote, new skippers realised the potential and used it as soon as they could and as a result of their hard work and self promotion they are amongst the busiest of the UK's charter fleet, no coincidence there either but sometimes folk can't see what's under their noses

I was out with Trot On the other week and there's an example of a skipper who's business will rocket and take off again, he's always been busy and always caught fish but he's operated for a long time under the radar, now if other skippers watch and see how he benefits from using the forum then you'd think others would also be keen to get as much free advertising as they can put up, no one else is going to give them free advertising or hosting or web help so from a plain business perspective I think they're mad to cut their own throats

There's plenty of other boats who consistently catch fish and generally have full boats at the weekend but just think how many more anglers they could attract mid week if they were a bit more proactive in promoting themselves or how many more times they could sail Sat/Sun with full boats instead of nearly full

Don't take it to heart, you've done all you can, I think the green eyed monster seems to be alive still

7. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Brian I feel very clear on the matter too. The problem they will have is Google will never provide them with enough business of their own. The Charter skippers posts on the forum get a lot of interest because the forum is Generally a busy place.

The amount of long tail keywords we have in Google is what provides our readership so someone arriving here having searched for kayak fishing for example will also see the boat fishing topics and have a read. A dedicated skippers website will not be able to draw on those keywords to draw an audience.

They will come to learn that in the long run but some of them will have burnt their bridges by then.

A couple of them have already burnt those bridges by slagging me off on Facebook and telling the wcsa members that my website is not far off illegal in its use of keywords.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

8. bigmc

bigmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

seems spiteful to me.i could understand if this site was negative in promoting Whitby boats and festival time but its actively supporting them.short sighted,self harming and pointless decision.whoevers behind this needs taking to task

9. Baramundi Bob

We've never been anything other than positive about all things WCSA, all for free, and then you get a change of chair and they go all funny on us. Same as last time we had a change of chair. There's a lot goes on at WCSA that people never hear of, and for the past year Ive kept my mouth shut but I can say hand in heart I believe this is based in Jealousy of the 3 or 4 boats doing well out of this forum. After the AGM the other night, 4 separate people messaged me to say what had gone on, this is an extract of one of the messages I got.

10. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Have they not heard the phrase any publicity is good publicity aren't they suposed to be running businesses

11. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

This website is such a massive draw that they will never get anything like the number of visitors with their own site. It would have been far better for them to have joined in - like the skippers of the boats we all know - than to try and slag you and the site off Glenn, that is so short-sighted it's just unbelievable really :eek:

12. worm drowner

worm drowner Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As far as I'm concerned there are only 4 boats to choose from out of Whitby and those are the ones that give us a dam good report and pictures every time they manage to put to sea and still report when the days are'nt that good

Mick

13. Baramundi Bob

The Latest Catches From The Four Whitby Charter Boats On This Forum

HTML:
    <div style="width: 600px; font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
    <div><embed width="600" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://photos.gstatic.com/media/slideshow.swf" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&captions=1&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F111636410475004079009%2Falbumid%2F6009323844700676305%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></div>
    <span style="float: left;"><a style="color: #3964c2;" href="https://picasaweb.google.com/111636410475004079009/WhitbyFishingTripsBoatFishingAtWhitby?authuser=0&feat=flashalbum">View all</a></span>
    <div style="text-align: right;"><a style="color: #3964c2;" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/getEmbed?feat=flashalbum">Get your own</a></div>
    </div>
    Here Are The Phone Numbers For Those Boats

If your interested in Boat fishing at Whitby then this information could be of use to you. Im not saying other boats haven't been catching anything but I have noticed a lot of them are hardly at sea these days, I think there must have been a downturn in business. The boats who report here seem to be out most days and you can read their reports at the links below :

Suggested Reading
    Telephone Numbers For Boats Featured On This Forum
    • Sea Otter 2 - 07748705695
    • Mistress - 07977436903
    • Libby - 07979306155
    • Trot On - 07766 995847

14. Mick Gibson

Bring Jim back, almost three hours since weigh in and no sign of results on the site. Least Jim always posted on here by 7.00 :mad:

15. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Unfortunately trot-on only had a group of 8 lads 5 were hire rods with no experience at all..... by 9 am 5 of the 8 were layed out spewing there aholes up we had a few fish nothing worth a report im afraid .... I know rich cope with mistress got biggest fish today a 15lb ling I beleive hopefully a more productive day at sea for us tomorrow
    ;-) and not asmuch spew 2 wash off the deck

16. Baramundi Bob

Sorry guys, completely out of my hands. This is not my fault nor Jims who is keen to share to the forum but cant. This is a Whitby Charter Skippers Association decision. Jim has been banned from posting results and pictures to the site for no logical reason.

I have been down to the weigh in. I have pictures, and I have results. I took the pictures over Jim's shoulder. How sad is that ??

Anyhow just working on the pics now and will post them with results by the end of the evening. We also have some exclusive pics off the boats including a shark pinching fish off the anglers.

Please bare with us, like I say this is completely out of my hands and like Ive said before extremely petty on behalf of wcsa.

17. Mick Gibson

Thanks Perry, 15lb ling is a good starter for the festival. What a waste of a boat on the first day. Bet Dolly wasn't too pleased :)

18. Mick Gibson

Fully understood Glenn, the point I was making was if the WCSA have made the decision you would have thought that they would have put the official results up in a timely manner. It's one thing that I look forward to in the festivals logging on each evening to see the results. Just seems petty to me.

19. Baramundi Bob

The majority of skippers are against it and most people Ive talked to say they see no logic in it at all. Cant say any more than that really. Just stupid and we never had this problem when Paul was Chairman. Just a shame he stood down really.

20. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Its name of the game and everyone has to start somewhere dont they.
    Lets hope the lads who werrnt spewing enjoyed there day and will be back