1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Angling Festivals 2012 - Spring Festival 18.7 LB Ling Trott On Pics

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mick Gibson, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

After much anticipation waiting to come upto Whitby for the Spring Fishing Festival setting off at 03.00 we arrived in the car park at 05.45 to a clear morning. We had been watching the weather forecast all week and had made enquiries as to wether the trip would actually take place having been told by Paul ( Trott On ) that there had been a number of days where the boats didint sail. The lads had spoken for weeks about their intentions to catch not only the most but the biggest fish of the day what baits were being used and what rig contraptions were going to be set up. After boarding Trott On with Paul Eddon we set sail at 7.00 and headed staraight outwards to the wrecks.

The fishing on the day was slow with approximately 15 fish between 10 of us, some of the lads unfortunately caught nothing. I had caught the first fish which was a 7 lb ling. Not bad for the first one of the day then close behind I caught the second one asmall cod which some how I had side hooked on a shad, but they all count :). Fishing continued for a couple of hours without much joy.

Paul took us over another wreck and Id put on what Im told is the Whitby Wrecker with two small pieces of Mackerel. We let our lines down and Paul was stood at my side whilst the line was going down. As soon as I hit the bottom Paul said I had fish on to which I was suprised because I couldnt feel a thing. Upward I pulled the line in with not to much to effort and then the baby apperared, a nice big Ling. After getting the fish on board Paul said he thought that it was about 14- 15 lb. The rest of the lads faces dropped to the floor as we were supposed to all put a quid in the pot for the biggest fish of the day. ( Just to say at this point there was only one pound in the pot bloody sherkers :),

The fishing continued for the remainder of the day without much more to report.Heading back there was talk of the fish actually winning the festival and wondering the ifs and buts of what the other boats sailing that day had caught. Paul had said that as far as he was aware there had not been a fish of this size win the Spring Festival since it had started that gave me a little buzz :) having got back to shore we cleared the boat and headed to the weigh in.

At the scales before us was a ling and a nice looking cod laid out, I gave my fish over for the weigh and then that was a weight of 18.7 lb...... I was more than happy to have collected the 50.00 and obviously being in the running for the Festival winner. I will eagerly be watching for updates of the catches for the remainder of the week.

Id like to say a big thanks to Paul Eddon for yet another truly enjoyable and memorable day and look forward to our trip on the Summer Fishing Festival.

Attached are several photographs of my 18.7LB Ling..............thanks for reading Mick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Re: Spring Festival 18.7 LB Ling Trott On Pics

nice fish. it had some belly on it when you weighed it in.

its a cracking fish for the spring festival and will take some beating. i think it was won last year with a 17lb cod

3. Chris Gibson

Chris Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good day for wrecking on the spring festival with TROTT ON... Nice ling to be winning the festival so far..can,t wait for the summer festival.... Big Thanks to Paul Eddon on Trott On. And well done to Mick Gibson.......p.s.........YOU MADE A FEW FACES DROP CARRYING THAT TO THE SCALES...Well Done

4. Mick Gibson

Thanks Dan, keeping fingers crosssed :) just read that it was a 15 LB Cod last spring and that was also with Paul

5. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Well done on the fish mate,I like the first picture. :yes: :yes:
    Trust Dolly to find a lump like that, :educated:
    Best wishes for the festival mate.
    Carl

6. Mick Gibson

Cheers Carl, after speaking to somebody at the weigh in they also called Paul by a name of Dolly .... whys that :confused:

7. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Nice fish mick well done

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Well done Mick a good fish by anyone's standards and especially in what is proving to be a difficult Festival.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=140

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whitby-Sea-Anglers/211560138890758

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Cracking fish well done to the man it could well be home and dry the weather forcast looks terrible for the next 4 or 5 days .

paul.

12. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well its not cos hes dolly-dimple thats 4 sure. maybe he likes a surtan sweet :laugh: