1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Angling Festival Spring 2008

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sorry nothing to report as the first day has been cancelled due to poor weather conditions. Ive been speaking to Paul Kilpatrick on the phone and he says that yestrday they had some good fishing on the 9 mile grounds. Paul says the fish just seemed to come out of nowhere, and this is probably due to improvements in water clarity in the past few days.

Hopefully the boats will get off sonn and we will have more to report.

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

First day of the festival and today the 2nd wass cancelled for weather but the signs are good i was fishing off myself with a party on monday the day before the start of the festival and the fishing wasnt bad a big improvment we were takeing codlings on squid on the 9 mile ground of whitby fish were comeing fairly steady which was nice to see tommorow looks like being on for the festival then it looks like winter comeing back in force once again it just wont let go the outlook looks terrible on the longrange.

paul.

3. Howard

Howard Blenny

Good luck t.mor. Paul .We are off aswell . Going a few miles more this time trying to find some clear water. :embarrass:

4. Steve

Steve Rockling

any results yet

5. Baramundi Bob

Hi Steve nothing massive but I went down to see Paul at Tea time and the lads had had quite a good picking today. Nothing massive but cod and ling averaging around 5 pounds.

I took a few pictures whilst I was there. :happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

was they any fish caught yesterday (fri)
    looks poor for the week ahead for the skippers (poor buggers)lot of money lost for them :sad: in anglers revenue
    if there is only a few days fishing does the 5lb er or whatever was the biggest still win the £1000 prize money also what happens to the large kitty for daily prizes which cannot be claimed ?
    any comments much appreciated
    im looking forward to the boat season this ,our 1st charter is on 26 th this month we tend to go for this this time of year because of the odd weather we tend to have in april
    hope they get a bit of fishing in

7. Baramundi Bob

Think the biggest yesterday was the conger from sea urchin. I will post full results later today. If the rest of the festival is cancelled then the current leader gets the cash.

8. Talboy

Talboy Sick of Ling

Any results in yet lads?

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Its only a 7lb ling which is leading the festival which was caught on trot on,on the first day when the boats finally got to sea there was also plenty of cod caught but nothing big on my boat our best cod cod went 6 and half pounds plent of them but no big ones again this is down to the water not being clear the weather looks fairly good for the next few days so the boats will be going out so something bigger looks likelly so the £1000 is still up for grabs there was an unusual fish caught which won the daily prize a conger was caught on sea urchin when mick was uptiding not a common species but more of these fish seem to be apearing again it has had a stirup from the north so distance is where you will have to go to do any wrecking or the ground on the 26 mile the wall as it is know is probably where the boats will be heading but uptiding after a northerly swell could throw quite easyly throw a cod out into double figures it has benn done before so the next few day look really interesting .

paul.

10. Baramundi Bob

Results so far

Results for day three (Thurs 3 April)

1 Kevin Anderson, Hull, ling 7lb, Trot On
    2 Brian Cunningham, Mansfield, ling 6lb 5oz, Sea Otter 2
    3 David Lloyd, Mansfield, cod 5lb 9oz, Sea Otter 2

Day four (Fri 4 April)

1 Ian Cornwell, Stockton, conger eel 5lb 8oz, Sea Urchin
    2 Anthony Noble, Whitby, ling 5lb 6oz, Trot On
    3 Ian Cornwell, Stockton, cod 5lb, Sea Urchin.

11. Baramundi Bob

12. Baramundi Bob

9th April

1 Stephen Biro, Huddersfield, Cod 4lb 7oz, Sea Otter
    1 Dave Taylor, Huddersfield, Cod 4lb 7oz, Sea Otter
    3 Martyn Berry, Nottingham, Ling 4lb 4.5oz, Trot On

13. Baramundi Bob

10th April

1 Peter Rose, Whitby, Cod 6lb 7.5oz, Sea Otter 2
    2 Peter Rose, Whitby, Cod 6lb 7oz, Sea Otter 2
    3 Colin Rutland, Whitby, Cod 5lb 6oz, Sea Otter 2

14. Baramundi Bob

This is a question from Mick Leonard the sea urchin skipper.

15. Baramundi Bob

Full Results To Date

[​IMG]

16. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

what is todays sizes please if you have time
    thanks

17. Baramundi Bob

Not heard anything yet. Bernard usually drops the results around on a morning.

18. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The results for yesterday are as follows ,

1st Glyn Richardson pollock 8lb 8oz Two dogs

2nd M Timlin pollock 7lb 8oz Two dogs

3rd D Warden ling 7lb 7oz Two dogs

This is the final result as today was cancelled due bad weather once again, yesterday i was out on the wall of death ground there was plenty of cod and ling but again size was the problem plenty of cod around 5lb the better fish just werent takeing i think this is due to they are spawning at the momment .

paul.

19. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

paul, who make's the decision to cancel for bad weather?
    is it a mutual decision between skipper's?
    and what is the deadline for cancelling the next day's event?

20. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Tim the festival wasnt on today because nobody went to sea with the northerly forcast in the spring one it has to have 2 boats to be on but we all cancelled today with the bad forcast but if 2 boats decided to brave the weather then the festival would have been on .

paul.