1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Angling Festival Run Poorly - Heaviest fish Is "Wrong Concept"

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Uata the Watcher, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Much as I know and like Deano

No one angler should clean a day...max one place per angler..otherwise it does little to encourage others

The size of the fish reprensents the concept of the festivals...biggest fish wins

There is little joy in this as a concept and the boats winning it

A boat could go out with 10 anglers and come back with 100 fish and not win

A boat could go out with 10 angers and have one with a 20lb fish and 9 blanks and it wins the festival....wrong concept

Cheers

U

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Whitby Angling Festival Run Poorly

To be very honest I think in 30 plus years of the festival its never happened before and likely never will again. Full Marks to Deano on his win.

3. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How would you set it out then heavest bag ? Most fish landed by boat ? They do heavest bag in uptiding festival as a side prize but every competition is heavest fish out of whitby time for change ?

cod help me !

4. Baramundi Bob

Interesting concept though, you think WCSA should ditch the Heaviest Fish format and replace it with what ?? Heaviest bag Im presuming ??

5. Baramundi Bob

You cant do heaviest amount of Fish on a boat perry as its an inter-angler not inter-boat or team competition.

6. E.F.C. FOREVER

Yeah sorry I mis-wrote what I ment there bit the boats are also in competition with each other aswell so could it be done ? Everyone wants to be festival winner both boat and angler but heavest bag is interesting concept however i crnt see the heaviest fish 1st place been changed anytime soon. Plus I think a nice big spragg winning the summer festival instead of 30 mops looks better for angling off whitby and for prize money of 5grand with the big fish method its anyones game.

cod help me !

7. Baramundi Bob

Sea Angling For me Perry is all about the big fish now. Id rather see one 20lber than 20 1lber's in a box all squashed up.

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

not quite sure what your getting at. Would you get rid of the daily prizes altogether?

9. bucko

bucko New Member

To put a first hand account of this one here (Not sure that questioning it is really good cricket TBH)- Up until around 3PM another boat was leading all the prizes!

It was a tough, tough day with awful conditions and fish not playing ball so the combination of a learned skipper, hard work, good bait, perseverance and of course a dash of luck made this happen.

There were other boats out that included the three hour trippers so there is no question of it being unjust or undeserved- after all any one of the short trippers could have snagged a 5lb fish and taken the top prize.

And it seems that the attitude of it being fair game seems to have been carried by all who took part/competed today.

Top marks to a great angler who just happens to be a complete gent along with it.

10. Baramundi Bob

Im Interested too Dan. When making such a statement then you have to come up with a useful and well thought out alternative, otherwise .....

11. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If anyone manages to hook up to a daiwa rod and Abu reel on a 9 mile wreck its mine I lost yesterday :-\

Was well pissed of :mad:

12. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

YES THE COD LOOK IN VERY POOR NIK :'(

13. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

all are in it just no bookings i would think.so whot dose that say to you all :(

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Yes glen dave has all the records i have spoken to him again tonight and he is sorting out the last 10 years i got dave to do the weighin many years ago as a favour one year but then he just carried on i can only thank him and jim for all the work they did for me as chairman they do a fantastic job and i can only say how valuable these lads are in the smooth running of all the festivals .

paul.

paul.

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

If you are very lucky enough to get the big one great as long as everybody enjoys there day and getting plenty of fish its luck to get the biggsit fish if your names on it yours its all about an enjoyable days fishing doesnt matter what size of fish you get the big one is very nice but its not allways the be all and end all even though its very nice to get the winner.

paul.

16. Re: Whitby Angling Festival Run Poorly

The post is fairly self explanitory

One prize per person per day

As for the comment of 'think this is the first time it has happened' is not viable

Fishing has changed...the WCS spring, summer, autumn where intiated when fish where plentiful, this is no longer the case

fishing is not what it was 10, 20, 30 years ago...time for a change

Cheers

U

17. Baramundi Bob

Were talking about your comment that heaviest fish is not a good format. What are you changing it to ??

18. E.F.C. FOREVER

Craigyb I was speaking to ya at carpark was gutted fot ya m8 also great respect to dave and jim for there efforts at the weight in let's hope I get to deleiver a git 20lb fish up there in thr very near future ;-)

cod help me !

19. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The problem with heaviest bags is a group of anglers on the boat could give one of them a couple more fish in his bag,
    then share out the winnings.
    It would be hard for the skipper to keep check on everybody.

20. E.F.C. FOREVER

Ya right jim it would be more difficult to police than you think fair enuff all skippers and 90 percent of anglers are fair but you always get the 10percent that are tits and greed gets em