1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Angling Festival 2008

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Think I ended up with your catfish, I gave it to a lady at work who was very grateful.

2. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Day 13 results;
    Alan Ward - Whitby - Ling 11 08 - Sea Spray

That wouldn't be Ritchie Ward of shytorque's dad would it?

wildcard

3. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

you should have eaten it yourself glenn.one of the tastiest fish around these part's :yes: :hungry:

4. Baramundi Bob

Been put off fish at the moment Tim, I really hate bones. Our lass made a really nice fish pie the other day, but halway through I got a bone. Thats the meal ruined for me after that. Sorry I never got chance to speak the other day when I saw you. I hadnt expected to be up your way otherwise I would have brought you a few presents.

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

You don't know what you are missing,woof is one of the finest eating fish in our waters :wink: :happy: It's a stonking fish all the same :happy: not so many of em around these days,i know a few trawler lads who have had rubber seaboots bitten through by them as well :scared: :happy: ....tight lines

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:surprise: :scare:

caught on in lanzarote a few year ago, wouldnt dare touch the bloody thing :vomit:

7. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

there isn't any bones in catfish when you fillet them glenn.they have no rib cage just a central bone/spine.they are a bit like monk tail to fillet.don't worry i'll get some shad's off you later :whistle:

8. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Hi Glenn,

Is the 20 pounder still winning it then mate.

looking forward to next Tuesday for my last go in

the competition.

Doug

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

yes it is :happy:

10. newdave

newdave Guest

so whom filleted it the Glenn :tease:

11. Baramundi Bob

Morrisons :wink:

12. Baramundi Bob

[​IMG]

This one is of The Festival Main Sponsor Glenn Stocks (Stage coach supertram from Sheffield), taken today on Sea Otter 2. They estimate the fish to be around the 13 pound mar. I wonder how much it will have shrunk when it hits the scales tonight.

13. Baramundi Bob

Day 15 Results

Jim Arthur - Blackburn - Ling 17-15 - Shytorque
    Dave Weatherill (Roscoe) - Whitby - Ling 11 08 - Sea Urchin
    Paul Clarkson - Whitby - Ling 9 12 - Saxon Lady

Jim Arthur now goes into second place overall and 1st in the ling section.

[​IMG]

Roscoe With a 9 pound cod that just missed third place yesterday.

[​IMG]

14. MOTLLEY22

MOTLLEY22 New Member

Could you post the results for Day 14 Glenn. Many Thanks.
    Mart

15. Baramundi Bob

Day 14 Results

Dave Low - Sale - Ling 11 15 - Saxon Lady
    Martin Gatly - Harrogate - Ling 8-11 - Saxon Lady
    Martin Gatly - Harrogate - C0d 8 03 - Saxon Lady

Day 16 Results

Roy Spencer - Halifax - Ling 13 12 - Sarah Michelle
    Paul Savage - Chesterfield - Ling 13 06 - Shytorque
    Steve Minor - Wath - Cod 13 00 - Never Can Tell

Day 17 Results

Peter Ashton - York - Ling 18 12.5 - Stoney Broke
    David Davies - Darlington - Ling 14 04 - Charisma
    Tony Booth - Spoffarth - Ling 12 12 - Jean K

16. Baramundi Bob

Festival Sponsor Nick Ball with an 11 pound cod from Sea Otter 2 Today

[​IMG]

More Double Figure Cod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peter Ashton with his 18 pound Ling which goes into second overall in the festival and first place in the ling section

[​IMG]

John Wilcock's 20 pound cod still leads the way with 4 more days to go.

[​IMG]

17. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

With the low tides for the next few days, an exciting finale looks likely if the winds stay light. I still believe someone will haul up a mid 20lb Ling and scoop the big un. Good luck to all those still involved.

18. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

its coming to morra (mon) a can feel it in me bones !!!were of to morra with 2 dogs again boulby mob 25ling coming our way !!!

19. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice to see a cod winning it for a change :yes:

regards to smokey , i tried woof last year and i thought it was amazing eating, me and our lass woofed it all down :cheesy: :hungry:

20. brad

brad Blenny

Jean K sunday 13th

Hi all,
    I went as an individual on Jean K on sunday. Met at 6.45am with the other anglers, decent blokes as you would expect, and Kev informed me there was a young lady coming on the trip. The young lady was a girl about 11 or 12, and she was brilliant. Not a bit of trouble and fished solidly all day. She really was a credit to her dad.
    Kev had said that it was "lumpy" out there but would clear up later.
    Lumpy was an understatement. Not sure how many of the readers of this forum were out on sunday but there was a swell of about 8/10 feet on occasions, all you could see was a wall of water. This made the fishing awkward to say the least. Trying to reel in and hold on with one hand required a certain of acrobatic juggling. Surprisingly there were only a couple of guys ill, and the little girl never battered an eye lid either at them hanging over the side or the fact that she was being tossed around like a cork.
    Kev did a stirling job skippering the boat, the outward journey was made much easier with him shouting when the waves were coming and there were only a couple of BIG drops over the swell. It was the drifts that were awkward. He was right and it did clear up pity we were on the way back in though (lol)
    The fishing was a bit hit and miss. Quite a few fish caught, cod up to ten pounds and a couple over that. The girls dad caught the ling which took third place, but that just over a pound between catching and weighing. A few other ling caught were getting up to double figures.
    I was surprised how few mackerel there were around. Like a pratt I thought I would catch some fresh rather than taking some with me. Big mistake. Only managed two or three and I was feathering for them. A few came to the other guys on the hokkais they were using with pirks for the cod, and they were all near the bottom. Lesson learned there, always take a box of squid and some frozen mac, you never know.
    The fish where taken mainly on the hokkais and perks as that was what the other guys were using. I was using a shad on a two foot trace and caught a couple of nice cod on a green shad and also a yellow shad.
    I couldn't get away from the pout, nobody could, and they were a real pain in the arse, but after slack tide they disappeared and ling and cod were being caught, baited hokkais caught the ling and I had a couple of very small ones on my muppets and shads.
    It was good to get out but I have never been so knackered. Felt like I had done a thirty mile hike. Legs,knees and ankles ached like hell with trying to keep upright, and talk about sea legs!!! Drove home to derby which took3 hours and still had to hang onto kitchen units cause I thought I would fall over. Never been as bad as that before.
    Didn't have a camera so no pictures, sorry. I am out again on Jean k and will keep you informed.
    p.s. not sure how far out we were, Kev took about 20/30 mins to get back to harbour, but we had been on about 6 different marks, depending on if there were fish there or not so we could have been a way up the coast and close in. It didn't look too far out as the crow flies.