1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitby Angling Festival 2008

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 27, 2008.

1. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Nice to see some good cod coming out, looks like a few pollock aswell

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Day 3 Results

John Wilcock Thornton - Cod - 20-05 - Shytorque
    John Wilcock - Thornton - Cod 17 11 - Shytorque
    Lewis Wright (jnr) - Whitby - Ling 16 00 - Trot On

Pictures to follow when I scan them in. Also caught today was a 9 pound halibut by Terry Totham from Doncaster.

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

The guys on Shy Torque seem to be finding em so far,thats a cracking cod to win today :happy: tight lines

4. Baramundi Bob

Wardy is the skipper on form at the moment. I knew he found somewhere with some big fish last week as they had 2 cod to just below the 20 pound mark just before the festival started. It would be nice to see a cod near the 30 pound mark wouldnt it. I get the feeling that in the next couple of years this will be a real possibility, due to the number of fish we are currently seeing in the 10-15 pound bracket.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Once cod are on the wrecks , do they settle there for good or are they like tidal fish and move into the shore during winter to feed when condtions are right ? , or do they become rsident on the wrecks for good ....abit similar to kelpys coming resident to inshore kelp beds ?

6. Baramundi Bob

I think some will become resident for a time Dav then they will move on. What we have often seen is a wreck can be empty on several visits then all of a sudden a week later it can be stuffed with fish which suggests the fish have moved on that wreck. Its the same on the grounds and reefs Dav. Just like the cod come to the shore in winter they go to various grounds and reefs at different times of year, probably attracted there by food, and at other times of year when the feed leaves those areas will be fruitless. Killer tells me its rather like shore fishing and he has had to build up a knowledge of where the fish will be at certain times of year and on certain tides etc.

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Killer is the man to answer that Dav.I know down this way,they appear around May time,stay until about October then disappear,they must follow their instincts to spawn and follow food...tight lines :happy:

8. Baramundi Bob

9. Baramundi Bob

John Wilcock with his 20 pound cod which currently leads the way in this years festival

[​IMG]

10. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

any results from monday glenn

11. Baramundi Bob

A 16 pound ling won yesterday. Ill post full results and pics when I get some spare time.

Also an angler with Malc Pitman on sea spray had a 21 pound ling the day before which would have been the new leader, but they caught it last drop of the day and dashed for home only to miss the weigh in time by a matter of minutes.

12. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

that sounds like an expensive miss(but maybe 21 lb will be topped over the next 2 weeks)

13. krysb

krysb Blenny

Malc was absolutley gutted on sunday with the 21lb ling, i think we missed the bridge by 3 minutes in the end
    trouble is there was no way he could get the extra 1kt from the boat to get back in time,
    still, theres plenty of days left yet

cheers

krysb

14. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Guys how many days are left. And is there any spaces on any boats.
    I am off next Thurs and Fri.

Mick (consett).

15. Bobacat

Bobacat New Member

Could anyone tell me what was the state of the sea today,and what its likely to be tomorrow..Thanks

16. fisherman ged

fisherman ged New Member

does any body have the latest results please

17. Baramundi Bob

Hi Ged,

I have the results and some pics but havent got the time to post them at the mo. Check back later this evening or tomorrow and I should have them sorted.

18. fisherman ged

fisherman ged New Member

can any one fit me on on saturday 5 july please can call me on 07800 882528

19. bengunn426

bengunn426 Blenny

fantastik reading and pictures BB is the shy torque 111, did it use to belong too stu jhonson,it, pritty similar (bullet) some good results,.

20. Steve

Steve Rockling

yes its the same boat but renamed.