1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Long Rod - Red Metal Twin Tip ? Greys Triplex ? Or Penn Twin Tip ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by tatch1, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi all am thinking of getting a long rod and just wondered if anyone could offer advice to help me make up my mind between red metal twin tip greys triplex or penn twin tip.As i am completely unable to decide on which :confused: :confused:

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Re: which rod

the red metal and affinity twin tip are the same rod

3. clifftoprunner1

clifftoprunner1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

a red metal or penn infinity with a 6000t reel loaded with 30 or 50lb braid. fantastic set up for all round fishing. bit of a costly setup but worth it mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi tach1 i bought a red metal twin tip 16 ft 2 years ago and i think its a smashing rod- coupled with my old millionmax 9000 fixed spool reel loaded with 30lb braid it's great for clean beaches and it is more than capable of a full pendulum cast as well as being an excellent off the ground or simple over head thump rod - i think it was dan who mentioned the penn affinity twin tip as being the same rod .but you might get a better deal on the red metal if someone has one in stock. due to it being superceded by the penn- you can also fish rough ground with 50lb braid and 100lb braid shock leader (i find 100lb braid leaders better than 60lb mono)

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Lawsey likes the Greys Triplex

[​IMG]

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

I Bet He Does after catching that one out (port) would think its the best rod ever made did he go on to win the match Tightlines Alain

7. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

yeah mate i won the match but getting back to the post yeah the triplex is good mate iv had 4 doubles on it this winter and it is sound it cranks them in a peice of p ...s penn afinity twin tips look good aswell mate

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Lawsy congratulations on the win i have a greys Apollo MK1 that's stopped nodding have a read on the classified adds you should have a laugh tightlines Alain

9. tatch1

Thanks all will be heading off to get a triplex i think still not sure i have a diawa opus bull reel which hopefully will be up to the job works great uptiding

10. tatch1

An a bloke just emailed me & told me triplex great for casting but no good over rough ground or when sea is rough think you shot tat one down judging by your results with it

11. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i always fish with lawsy and he takes his triplex everywhere kelp beds the lot and its never showed signs of not coping not once good any where mate.

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

mike33 also has a triplex and uses it on rough ground, he seems to do alright

13. worm drowner

worm drowner Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys I have just been reading this old post and was curious as to what the latest rod is on the market that compares with these rods mentioned

Mick

14. bow1

bow1 Rockling

no idea mate...I'm still using a red metal...can't fault it.iuse it every where !!!!
    So much so I've sold my my other rods as they ain't been used in years!

• Like Like x 1
  15. kingsa2

kingsa2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If your interested, I have a Penn Affinity Twin Tip. It's hardly used as I prefer my shorter rods (I'm only 5'6"). I will Take £150 for it.

16. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Did they upgrade the triplex mk1 and now a mk2, and was the mk1 a heavier and stronger rod?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  17. gibby

gibby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use a tronix gt sport for beaches and rocks never had a problem with it if you go to you tube you will get information about them

18. tatch1

Blimey a resurrected post from 2010 I got red metals in the finish been using them ever since cant fault them

• Like Like x 1
  19. worm drowner

It was a good post to start with and a lot of valued opinions, I'm glad I did resurrect it I will be having a look at the rod Kingsa has to sell. I have been looking at the continental rods just lately and that prompted me to search here, so also a mention for Glenn for all his hard work on this site.

Mick

20. worm drowner

Yes I will come and buy that if you can pm me with your mobile please

Mick